Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plane Crash in Upstate NY Kills 49...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:31 AM
  • 3 Replies

This just happened about an hour ago...

Plane crash in upstate NY kills 49 people

CLARENCE, N.Y. – A commuter plane coming in for a landing slammed into a suburban Buffalo home in a fiery explosion that killed all 48 people on board and one person on the ground, authorities said. It was the first fatal crash of a commercial airliner in the U.S. in 2 1/2 years.

Witnesses heard the twin turboprop aircraft sputtering before it went down in light snow and fog.

Flames silhouetted the shattered home after Continental Connection Flight 3407 plummeted into it around 10:20 p.m. about 10 miles from Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

"The whole sky was lit up orange," said Bob Dworak, who lives less than a mile from the crash site. "All the sudden, there was a big bang, and the house shook."

The 74-seat Q400 Bombardier aircraft was carrying 5,000 pounds of fuel and apparently exploded on impact, Erie County Executive Chris Collins said.

Firefighters got as close to the plane as they could, he said. "They were shouting out to see if there were any survivors on the plane. Truly a very heroic effort, but there were no survivors."

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:36 AM

Hi roxy85,

In addition to posting this article here, we recommend that you submit it to the CafeMom Hot List. The Hot List is like a front page of news designed just for moms!

The Hot List lets you decide what are the most important, interesting or funny things from around the internet. Whether it's news, gossip, a product recall, or even a cartoon, you can share it, and let other moms decide what's interesting!

You can check it out by clicking the arrow beside the 'Share' tab at the top of the site and selecting 'Hot List' from the drop-down menu. You can also click here to get started.

>>The CafeMom Admin Team

brice08
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:43 AM

This is very sad to hear...I am sitting here thinking about how thankful I am to have my family beside me each and every day....and keeping these families who have lost loved ones tonight in my prayers.... praying

1_hawt_mami
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:48 AM

me too. this is one of the many reasons why i will not fly on planes anymore. that is so sad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)