• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fever

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

My 13 month old has a fever of 103.5.  When should I really start to worry about this?  At what point should I take her to the hospital?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CharlotteAnn
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:11 AM

have you tried to give her a luke warm bath? My pediatrition always tells me to do that and to give them motrin or tylenol and see if that helps. If you are worried about it then I would just take her in. Its better to be safe than sorry. good luck and let us know how she is doing! 

JMDmom2
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:15 AM

That's pretty high...is she lethargic? How long has the fever been that high? I would at least call her pediatrician on call and tell him/her those facts and Dr. will tell you if you should go to the hospital. I've always been told to start with Motrin then alternate every 4 hours with Tylenol but if the temp stays up then go to the hospital. Good luck and hope she feels better!

cowabunga
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:29 AM

I would take her in or at least call her dr.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM

wave

Hi
mecourage,

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Children's Health Issues

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\The Cafe GroupAdmin

andreaRC
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM

for now i wouldnt take her in yet, unless she has had the fever for a few days.  or unless the fever will not break.  i would definitely call though and ask if they think you should wait.  you can alternate tylenol and motrin every two hours if you need to.  usually if i have to do that, then i take them in after day 2.  alot of times they cant do anything for a fever unless its been there for a few days or unless she has other symptoms.  and 103 isnt even considered that high of a fever..........to me it is, but not so much to drs.  i had to call the after hours line once about my sons fever (he was about 13 months then) and they said they didnt consider it high unless it was 104 or higher! yikes!

jfjones0921
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

My son normally runs fevers anywhere from 103.5-104.5.i do the tylenol and mortin every 4 hours(switch and i make sure he gets Motrin at bedtime)...

Right now 2 out of 3 of my children,and myself,had a virus that causes fevers,cough,lots of snot and there's nothing that can be done for it.It has to run it course.but i normally call the dr when his gets really high to get him checked out b/c when it first happened he had an ear infection we didn't know about.And not to scare you but a sudden rise in temp could cause febile(sp)seizures,this happen to my ds.they do no damage and are scarey to watch when they have them.He's now prone to them until he turns 5 but(knock on wood)he hasn't had any since he was 13months-old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)