Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think I can ask the cable company to do this?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:56 AM
  • 3 Replies

Alright, so we're getting an HDTV this weekend. I called Comcast about their HD service yesterday and it costs an extra $7 a month. Or for $13.95 a month we could get a DVR and then the HD service just comes with the DVR. What irritates me is that with Time Warner, HD is free. I think it's bull crap that I'm going to have to spend extra to get HD on my HD tv. In my opinion, if my tv is HD I should just be able to hook my tv up and have it. Well, my boyfriends dad said I should call Comcast and say just that. He also said I should ask for a lower rate or threaten to go to another company. First of all, I've never done anything like that. I'm very passive and normally just accept things for how they are. Also, in Kansas City, Time Warner and Comcast owns certian areas. In our area, we can only get Comcast. So it's either Comcast, AT&T, or Dish. So my threats to leave would just be empty threats..

If I called the cable company and talked to them would they give us a lower rate? I know you can ask for lower interest rates on credit cards. But this situation is kind of different. And if this is something I can do, how do I go about asking for it?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Expectingpeanut
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:59 AM

I would call and tell them that you could go to time warner since HD would be free.  We don't really have a choice so we had to get the DVR so we could get the HD signal but we do use the DVR a lot!  We are in Navy housing and they only let us do business with one company.

VerucaSallt
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Call up and be kind of stupid about it.  Oh, you guys offer HD for free like time warner, right?  No?  Oh... maybe I should just call them...

and see what happens.

You can always have someone call for you if you don't have the stones to haggle.  Haggling is an art for me!  i think shopping is boring without it!

I am a "I don't summarize my parenting style in a paragraph because it's none of your business" mom of 3.

krys1973
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:11 AM

LOL I have to say she has a point. My SIL is the same way. If there is someone that has a better rate she can usually haggle a better deal out of almost anyone. I cant do it so if I need something and know that someone else offers something better she calls for me and she gets the better deal for me if she can. She can just about con a dog into giving birth to kittens LOL.

Quoting VerucaSallt:

Call up and be kind of stupid about it.  Oh, you guys offer HD for free like time warner, right?  No?  Oh... maybe I should just call them...

and see what happens.

You can always have someone call for you if you don't have the stones to haggle.  Haggling is an art for me!  i think shopping is boring without it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)