• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism and Vaccines......

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:38 AM
  • 113 Replies

This was in our local paper...

Court ruling: Vaccines not to blame for autism

In a blow to parents who believe vaccines caused their children's autism -- including a Port Orange family whose case was chosen to represent thousands -- a special court ruled Thursday that the shots are not to blame.

The court said the evidence was overwhelming -- and backed by years of science that found no risk.

"It was abundantly clear" the theories were "speculative, unpersuasive," the court concluded in one of a trio of cases ruled on Thursday.

The 278-page ruling was anxiously awaited by health authorities and families who began presenting evidence in June 2007.

More than 5,500 claims have been filed by families seeking compensation through the government's Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. The claims are reviewed by special masters serving on the U.S. Court of Claims. Because of the number of claims, three cases were chosen as test cases for different theories of how the vaccine causes autism.

One of the cases, that of C.J. Snyder and his parents, Kathy and Joseph Snyder of Port Orange, was presented in federal court in Orlando in November 2007.

Dr. Richard Duma, director of infectious diseases at Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, hailed the decision as a "great" one that will end an unfounded prejudice that's spread through the Internet like a deadly virus, threatening to halt eradication of the deadliest childhood diseases.

"When you look at the history of vaccines and what they've been able to accomplish, it's incredible," he said.

But Chris Wickersham, a Daytona Beach attorney for the Snyders, said he's not giving up pursuing the claim showing it was the vaccine given when C.J. was 15 months old that caused him to slip into a world where he became uncommunicative and prone to temper tantrums -- and ultimately diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.

"This is simply the first step in the journey," he said.

The Snyders couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

Under the government's vaccine compensation program, awards to the estate in a vaccine-related death are limited to $250,000 plus attorneys' fees and costs. Awards to individuals with an injury judged to be vaccine-related have averaged more than $1 million.

According to court testimony in 2007 -- seven years after C.J.'s diagnosis -- the Snyders had spent more than $100,000 for controversial treatments from a Brevard County doctor that were not covered by health insurance. Further, the family told the court they had to move to a lot where they could raise cows, chickens and turkeys so C.J. could have organic meat without the chemicals that aggravate his sensitivities.

Their lawyer said that C.J., now 12, has improved but still needs treatments.

"They are disappointed obviously that care is forestalled for a longer period of time," Wickersham said. "Sooner with good treatment is better than later . . . now we have to continue to a point where there is justice."

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziggy.Stardust
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:42 AM

I never thought they were linked. However many parents who have children with autism do and probably still will and i understand that. This was one case of autism that represented thousands so i hope they dont give up research in this area completely. But I hope maybe this will help scientists and doctors look at autism from a new angle and someday it wont exist or there will be a cure.

jbhaleyrn
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I'm probably going to get bashed for saying this, but - I really feel that children are predisposed to autism. It's in their genetic make-up when they are born whether or not they will become autistic. If it wasn't vaccines that triggered the autism, it would have been something else.

NikkiPhoenix
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Exactly my thoughts!

Quoting jbhaleyrn:

I'm probably going to get bashed for saying this, but - I really feel that children are predisposed to autism. It's in their genetic make-up when they are born whether or not they will become autistic. If it wasn't vaccines that triggered the autism, it would have been something else.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

"If I am not for me, who will be?  If I am for myself alone, what am I?  If not now, when?"  Pirke Avot 1:14

I might not agree with every choice he made, but they were made with true intentions.

jsmjboertlein
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I've always said that since day one.  I know my child well enough to know hers wasn't from her shots. I'm glad I had her vaxed, I wouldn't change a thing.

Quoting jbhaleyrn:

Photobucket
B.A.G.
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:32 AM

thats awesome cause my son just had his shots last night. 

j_c_c_s_l
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM

well for me Autism was one of the least of my worries when it came to vaccinations but I'm glad they are still researching them

ladyofthelake
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I have a daughter with an autistic spectrum disorder and I have always given my kids their shots, even the ones after her, because quite frankly, I would rather risk one of tem developing autism, then die from pertusis. Hopefully parents will relax a bit-if that is the reason they dont immunize that is- and avoid outbreaks like the measles one the country is experiencing now. But its up to theparents, I dont care if you immunze your kids or not, just keep them away from mine until  mine get all their shots.

But on a side note-there is mounting evidence that immunizationsDO NOT cause autism.

Danielle

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM

You're right actually :-)

Quoting jbhaleyrn:

Junebug926

I'm not totally sold on this either way and remain skeptical. I wonder what kind of spin was put on this. I can see that maybe each individual vaccine does not cause autism but the ridiculous amount of shots at one time can be an overload. I'm definitely not convinced yet. WAY too much about autism isn't understood yet so I really don't think they can rule out anything at this point.

Codysmom22908

I really think that vaccines are the cause of a lot of problems, in the last 25 years the number of vaccines given before age 5 have more than doubled!!! Now look back in the last 25 years or so and see the rise in Autism, childhood cancer, ADHD, Eczema, SIDS, this list could go on forever. I personally do not vaccinate because I have educated myself about it.

Check out these groups:

Educate before you Vaccinate

Chosing not to Vaccinate

Choosing a Natural and Healthy lifestyle

Gravel Roads, Bon-fires, Deer Huntin, 4 wheeler ridin through fields full of mud and some good ole country friends......Most girls would say "Hell no" but my reaction would be a big ole "HELL YEAH"
I miss being a country girl!!! Screw city life!!
surrender

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)