Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Wives/SO's of deployed soldier...Real Question!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM
  • 18 Replies

My husband will be deployed to Iraq in a couple months and it is his first so we dont know a lot of the ins and outs just yet.  We are trying to figure out what the best cell phone plan/provider would be but we have no idea who had to best service over there..We were told Cingular/Att had good service, but I would rather ask those of you who have acually had your husband deployed and what worked best for you. Also, is there anyone who offers good military discounts? Thanks in advance!

Proud Army wife and Mother to by 2 beautiful babies!!   in loveboy n girl

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
algmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Bump

kaylasmom9
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:25 AM

My sister is in Germany awaiting her husbands return from Iraq.  I am not sure what phone service they use, I know they do alot through the internet. Good luck, sorry I could not be more helpful.  And bless your famly for the sacrifies!

ShannieP
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM

idk, but here is a bump for you! 

babies

algmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, we plan to use the computer but I wanted to make sure he can reach me when I'm out of the house since our time zones will be so off....Thanks =)

Quoting kaylasmom9:

My sister is in Germany awaiting her husbands return from Iraq.  I am not sure what phone service they use, I know they do alot through the internet. Good luck, sorry I could not be more helpful.  And bless your famly for the sacrifies!

zekesgirl
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM

my dh can't have a cell phone where he is.

theskillfactor
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM

My brother has which ever provider has "My circle" Thats All Tell I think. His phone worked great while he was over there, but the minutes are CRAZY expensive.

I know that my friend who is deployed gets to use a computer over there with Skype on it. Its a web chat program, and they provide web cams. If you just buy one for you to use here, you 2 can see each other and hear each other almost every day/night. Sometimes my best friend and her DH get to talk 2 times a day on there.

amanda_norris60
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:31 AM

i have sprint and i love it cause since he is in iraq and the phone service where he is sucks we get alot of lost calls and i have free incoming so he can call me as many times as he wants and i dont get charged lol but if you are wanting to use the comupter then use skype or spyware ( i think that is what it is called) they are so much cheaper on his end!

s.ayala
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM

DH bought a phone at the PX when he arrived last month. It was $80 for the phone and 8 hours of minutes. It does work well, but it also has its moments. He also was able to purchase internet, I assume it's a wireless card because sometimes i get to talk to him while he is at work. Just let you know Iraqi internet does lag alittle and does kick them off sometimes. But we have never had a problem with getting back online within a few seconds or a minute/2.

i have to share a website i found that has helped me alot, no matter which branch of the service. it has alot of good information about deployment and what to expect, care packages etc.

www.marriedtothearmy.com

I hope this helps. GL

CAarmywife
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM

when my hubby was deployed he didnt have a cell bedcause he said it was too much so he just bought these cards with minutes and used the base phones. a lot of soldiers do not have cells. if its u who wants the cell, we got a razr for 9.99 and verizon and at&t offer military discunts and if he gets the phone for u he also gets it through the corporte rate.

in lovebaby girltoddler girl

imandia4
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:36 AM

i think they get phones over there. i am not positive. i don't completley understand all the communications they have access to.my brother was able to call me from iraq and he had his own phone. i am not sure if the army gave it to him or if it was bought over there. and the internet sux over there

hatchetman
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)