• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

steve wilkos and child molestation

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

okay i was watching the steve wilko's show this morning and usually i like it because i like seeing people who have done terrible things get put in their place. but today i just didnt like the outcome.

there was a little girl in question that was supposedly molested. 4 years old i think.

a boyfriend who everyone thought was the one who molested her, because the 4 year old girl said that he did.

the mother, and the grandmother.

they all had lie detector tests, it showed that the daughter DID tell mom and grandmom about being touched inappropriately and that they DID NOT coach her to say that. the lie detector also proved that the boyfriend DID NOT touch the little girl, ever.

BUT the they asked the mom if she ever taught her daughter how to touch herself and she said no but the lie dectector test showed that to be a lie.

everyone got extremely upset at her, and so she tried explaining herself. she said that her daughter had always like to "play with herself" and so she asked pedi what  she should do about this, and they told her not to discourage it, or encourage it and tell her those things are done privately. so she told her daughter, it is okay to touch yourself but you have to do it in the privacy of your bedroom or bathroom or such.

now i have seen posts like this before, and that seems to be the answer most people have. so i thought that was a good explanation but steve wilkos jumped down her throat so bad. he was like YOU'RE SICK!!!!!!!! YOU ARE DISGUSTING!!! YOU ARE A SICK MOTHER!!!! WHO TELLS THEIR KIDS IT IS OKAY TO PLAY WITH THEMSELVES!!!

and i was like whoaaa. i really believed the mom, and i dont think steve wilkos really knows much in that area or something.

anyways, is what the mom did acceptable, or is steve wilkos right? is she a sick and disgusting mother?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
exceptalilfish
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM

hellooooooooooo

Rychelle

i didnt see the show so i cant really make a comment on this particualr case since i dont know the whole story, but as a general i believe that kids should never feel ashamed of their bodies or feel like its discusting of bad to investigate any part of their body. like you mentioned.. I just tell my boys that they do not touch themselves in public and if they have any questions about ehir body they can ask me or daddy. and i also teach them that no one is to touch their private areas and they are not to touch anyone elses..

TabathaAguiar

I personally don't care for those shows lol - It's like a Jerry Springer spin -off. Anyways, I agree with what doctors say ... Little kids touch themselves ALL the time but, don't discourage them, teach them to only do this at home. My son touches/ plays with his ding-a-ling and I don't do anything about it. It's mostly when I'm cleaning the poo off his butt or when he's in the bathtub.

beth1102
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM

1. i thnk its normal for kids to play with themselves. me, i tell my daughter to keep her hands out of her pants.

2. i dont always agree with steve. i like his shows, but there are sometimes that i think he doesnt know what he is talking about.

i dont know if he was right or wrong to yell at her. i wouldnt tell my child that if she is going to play with herself to do it somwhere else. that i think is wrong. jmo

DisneyMom475
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM

First off my opinion anything that comes from the Jerry Springer show has a lack of brain cells in the first place. But I think he was way off on flipping out on the mother if in fact all she did was tell the child that that is OK as long as it is in private. I had the same issue with my litle boy always touching himself. I asked my pediatrician about it they told me to tell them it is perfect healty to want to explore there body but it is not nice to do it in front of others. So to take it to there bedroom. My child's Dr. is from the Philadelphia Children's Hospital which is once of the best hospitals in the US for children so I would have to go with what I heard my DR. say over. Steve freaking out saying it is wrong

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM

My DD does the same thing when im changing her or she is in the tub. I thought Steve Wilkos was staged like Jerry is? I love Jerry, the man, but the show is ridiculous.

Quoting TabathaAguiar:

I personally don't care for those shows lol - It's like a Jerry Springer spin -off. Anyways, I agree with what doctors say ... Little kids touch themselves ALL the time but, don't discourage them, teach them to only do this at home. My son touches/ plays with his ding-a-ling and I don't do anything about it. It's mostly when I'm cleaning the poo off his butt or when he's in the bathtub.

wendy1978
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Wow, My SiL was also told this by my neices ped. She likes to "hump" things..well, she says it feels good and helps her go to sleep, and it always has. Shes 4 and it began as an infant. She was told by the doc, not specifically to encourage it , but to talk to her about it only being done in private. So Im sure the mom on tv wasnt lying and shouldnt have been yelled at for that. But hey, it makes for good tv ??

I love my boys !boy kissing mombaby boybaseball

sunshine2980
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I have never watched the show, and now Im glad I havent. It is perfectly normal for kids to touch themselves, and the best way to handle is to ask them not to do it in public. If you make a huge deal out of it, they will have issues with their bodies when they are older. At that age, they arent doing it to be sexual. They dont even know what sex is. They just know that it feels good to them, much like scratching or tickling. 99% of the time, they stop by the time they are 4 or 5 anyway.

DulceBrowneyes
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Ditto ten times over. The Steve Wilkos Show is nothing more than a pathetic cross between Springer and Dr. Phil, neither of which are very credible shows in the first place. Steve is always jumping down someone's throat, and it's pathetic that a child should be dragged into it.

Blessed Be

Quoting DisneyMom475:

First off my opinion anything that comes from the Jerry Springer show has a lack of brain cells in the first place. But I think he was way off on flipping out on the mother if in fact all she did was tell the child that that is OK as long as it is in private. I had the same issue with my litle boy always touching himself. I asked my pediatrician about it they told me to tell them it is perfect healty to want to explore there body but it is not nice to do it in front of others. So to take it to there bedroom. My child's Dr. is from the Philadelphia Children's Hospital which is once of the best hospitals in the US for children so I would have to go with what I heard my DR. say over. Steve freaking out saying it is wrong

He lied and never knew that he lied, and when it was pointed out to him said that lies were beautiful. He was an idealist.

- 'Of Human Bondage', W. Somerset Maugham
exceptalilfish
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM

i dont know if it is staged or not, but it seems like most shows are not ridiculous like jerry springer was. steve mainly gives child molesters, abusers, and drug addicts lie detector tests and then rips them a new asshole when they are guilty. he is ex marine and was a cop in chicago for a long time. seems legit to me, but i disagree with him today

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)