Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions abt my baby can read.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM
  • 30 Replies

Ok so my husband has been telling me to order the my baby can read stuff and before i spend the money on that I wanted to know if anyone else has used it with success? My daughter is 16 mos old and I want her to read but i dont want to buy this if it doesnt really work. I watch the comercials and read the web site but im the kind of person that needs personal expierence to talk me into buying things. So if anyone has used it or know someone who has and had great success please let me know.

Mom to Kelvin (5)&Chelsea(15m) Wife to Lance(26).

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziggy.Stardust
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM

It teaches memorization. It is the biggest waste of money imo.

Kays_Mama06
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I saw the commerical one morning too..

I just thought.. What ever happened to Hooked on Phonics? 

Jademom07
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Go get some flash cards...it's the same thing.  You have to keep repeating the process everyday so that they memorize it.  You have a computer and a printer ?  make your own. 

moore_me03
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I agree with the PP...you can get the same results by taping a piece of paper that says 'hand' on your hand and telling your child, "see? this says 'hand'...H-A-N-D".....it's basically the same concept...and you don't have to shell out the 100s of bucks!!! My DD is 2 and she knows her ABCs and her numbers and can read some words...but she also has those bath letters that adhere to the wall...and we worked on her letters and numbers when she turned 1...

pricelesslove24
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM

see thats why i am asking before i order it cause i dont want to spend that money if i dont have to. I mean she knows what stuff is like cup, pamper, milk, juice, dog, ball, etc. if she sees them or i tell her to go get them.

Quoting Jademom07:

Go get some flash cards...it's the same thing.  You have to keep repeating the process everyday so that they memorize it.  You have a computer and a printer ?  make your own. 

StrBryBlonde

Ive seen this commercial and was blown away. I dont know if it works, but it is possible, babies brains are like sponges and absorb so much. Maybe it is just memorization, but I cant say that is true for sure, Ive never used that prodouct, altho I would like too just to see.

raine.arnesen

I agree, do the flash card thing. I don't think it's important enough for them to read at 16 months old to waste money on something that might not work. Just do it the old fashined way!

pricelesslove24
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM

with my son we did that but she just doesnt seem to be interested in that kinda stuff yet. plus she was preemie and Dh thinks she will be slower if we dont push her to do it and i keep telling him that you cant compair her with our 5 year old who knows colors shapes numbers and how to read tie his shoes ride a bike w/o training weels.

Quoting moore_me03:

I agree with the PP...you can get the same results by taping a piece of paper that says 'hand' on your hand and telling your child, "see? this says 'hand'...H-A-N-D".....it's basically the same concept...and you don't have to shell out the 100s of bucks!!! My DD is 2 and she knows her ABCs and her numbers and can read some words...but she also has those bath letters that adhere to the wall...and we worked on her letters and numbers when she turned 1...

VerucaSallt
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM

My two year old is reading because of it.  In the course of 5 weeks he already knows 9 words.  It's a lot more than memorization.  I notice everyone who's made that assumption about it never used the program.  It teaches things like how b begins baby and bottle and bath.  Adding "ing" and other spelling rules are presented as well.  It's DVDs, flashcards and books.  you'll be really surprised how much more time you'll spend teaching them.  If you're willing to make the time and monetary invstment, it's worth it.  But if you think it's just popping a DVD in and thinking they'll read it's probably not for you.  My 8 month old loves it, too but he's still young to be showing any real results.

You should always be adding other kinds of learning, too.  Not just his program.

I am a "I don't summarize my parenting style in a paragraph because it's none of your business" mom of 3.

lizzeh
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM

It's not reading, it's memorizing words. That's fine when doing the alphabet, but not actual words.

You can show the word "Cat" over and over and over and the child will remember "Cat" but then show the word "cot" and the child won't know what it is.

My husband mentioned this in his teaching class and was told it was a bad idea. It could possibly set the child up for failure when they are older because instead of reading C A T as cat, they see a picture instead of a word.

I'll quit nursing my daughter when she can explain to me the homoeroticism between Othello and Iago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)