Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I teach him more?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM
  • 7 Replies

I am a mother to a very bright 2 year old little boy. He loves the alphabet. He knows all of his abc's by sight, he dosent know the song but I can point to any letter and he can tell me what it is and how it sounds.  He will point to random different letters say the letter and make the sound of them, such as a "ah" b "buh" c"cuh" and so on, its a fun game to him :).  He can recognize his numbers from 1-10 by sight and count objects up to 12 so far. I want to help his mind grow more, I have heard of babies reading at 3 and I think that he could possibly be a child like that. I read to him all of the time, and so does his 6yo sister, she is just beginning to read real well. He is so bright, how can I encourage his little mind and help him learn more? I am doing flash cards and everything, I just need some tips and some advice on what else could help.  Thanks  so much. :).

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Hisservent
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM

how about animals and their sounds?

Shapes/colors/sizes?

Feelings/actions/weather/body parts, etc

I teach my son at home as well and I have a calendar curriculum that I go by. Each month has  theme and color. We just got done with all the letters and are finishing up the numbers 16-20. Each day we do something different and he has a notebook where he puts his drawings, numbers, letters, etc, so he can look at it and review any time.

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord!

I am a 100% pro-life, wife, church goin Christain, choir singin, recycling, natural products user, vaccinating, non co-sleepin, CIO method user, soy milk drinking, organic milk givin, coffee drinking, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burning, as Green as I can get, WAHM. giving heart

StrBryBlonde
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

wow thats a great idea, to have a curriculum and each month to have a different itinerary. Thanks :) He knows most of the animal sounds, well the basic animals.  how old is your ds?

Quoting Hisservent:

how about animals and their sounds?

Shapes/colors/sizes?

Feelings/actions/weather/body parts, etc

I teach my son at home as well and I have a calendar curriculum that I go by. Each month has  theme and color. We just got done with all the letters and are finishing up the numbers 16-20. Each day we do something different and he has a notebook where he puts his drawings, numbers, letters, etc, so he can look at it and review any time.

3timesoccermom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Books, books and more books.  They can learn so much from them.  Shapes, colors, animals, types of vehicles, you name it. 

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:40 PM

wave

Hi StrByBlonde

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

All about Toddlers

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
>>The CafeMom Admin Team

lovemymarine306
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM

just keep introducing him to new things and keep it fun.  they learn more than they let on.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Paesana82
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM

OMG, I was wondering the same. My son just turned 2, he counts from 1-10 in English and Italian. He knows all the major body parts in English and Italian and he can name most animals. ANd he speaks usually in 3-5 word sentences.

My problem is colors! He knows the words but he doesn't understand the meaning......if your LO knows colors, how did you get him to learn them??

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 11:28 AM

My son has been reading since age 3.  My advice would be to ditch the flash cards and have fun with it.  Find letters when you are at the store, play games saying the letter sounds, count things together as you put them in the grocery cart - and most important - READ READ READ to him! :)

ETA:  And go DO stuff - go to the zoo, the museum, etc..  talk about everything you see to further encourage communication, bonding and letting him experience the things you are teaching through life and doing things together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)