• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need high calorie snacks ideas..

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM
  • 22 Replies

Does anybody know of any healthy high calorie snacks that I can give to my daughter, she is 17 months old.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM

we do danimals, drinkable yogurt things....I'm not sure how high the calorie count is but I wouldn't think it was low.

SweetPeasMom418
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM
PB crackers, cold cut and cheese slices, oatmeal raisin cookies (homemade if you bake ;-)
NewMom304
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Nuts, avocados, triskets (stay away from the flavored varieties, as they have some questionable ingredients) with cheese...

cjsmom0206
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

When I first saw I was going to say nuts, but she's not quite old enough....so I would say a dried fruit mix with sunflower seeds and those seseme crisps..maybe some yogurt covered raisins if she's good at eating and not choking.

NewMom304
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Quoting ajswenson:

we do danimals, drinkable yogurt things....I'm not sure how high the calorie count is but I wouldn't think it was low.

I'm not familiar with those things in particular, but a lot of processed and sugary things like that contain high fructose corn syrup, which is very unhealthy.  Not only does it increase your likelihood of developing diabetes, but it contains mercury.  Also, stay away from trans-fats and too much white sugar.

CasandraFinlay
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

peanut butter and whole wheat snack crackers

apple slices with peanut butter

yogurt smoothie (does she drink from a straw?)

orange juice pops with bananas (freeze orange juice on a stick OR freeze it and then crush it to make a slush) HOW TO: Cut a banana into 3's; put a stick in the center of banana to where it will stand up on it's own; put in cup (plastic) and pour in orange juice and freeze YUM!

NewMom304
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Quoting cjsmom0206:

When I first saw I was going to say nuts, but she's not quite old enough....so I would say a dried fruit mix with sunflower seeds and those seseme crisps..maybe some yogurt covered raisins if she's good at eating and not choking.

Whoops, yeah you're right about the nuts.  But thin layers of nut butters are okay.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Liam is 19 months and is on a high calorie diet (he hates food, lol) and we do

Organic Peanut Butter (we get the single serving cups and they are like 20g of fat and 250 calories!!!)

Bananas

Avaocado Slices

Cheese Slices

Hard Boiled Eggs

my-heart-belongs-to3

cjsmom0206
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Honestly, I fed my youngest peanut products when he was real small and he hasn't had a problem with it....food allergies do not run in our family, so I felt it safe, but of course, dr's will recommend waiting until they are two........there is a product on the market called Sunbutter, it is made from sunflower seeds and can be used in any recipe that calls for peanut butter....also it's tree nut free.

Quoting NewMom304:

Quoting cjsmom0206:

Whoops, yeah you're right about the nuts.  But thin layers of nut butters is okay.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Our Peditrician actually said it was OK to start Liam on PB at his 15 month visit because he ws underweight and because there are no nut allergies in our family history. She told us how to ease it in and check for allergies... so we did and no problems...  

my-heart-belongs-to3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)