Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a little help real quick about eating and having gestinal dibeietes

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM
  • 9 Replies

i am borderline, but when i saw my doc he said that my levels are so good that i dont have to poke my finger 4 times a day , just 2 and if i want a cheeseburger ocasionly to go ahead , but just dont overdo it, he said that i have diebietes , but it is almost like i dont,

so my question is, my and my hubby are going out to eat  and he wants chinese food, like fried pork and such, and that is really high in carbs isnt it, i was thinking more like applebees or something, a steak or something. what do yall think?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
raegansmom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

If you go to Applebees, I would suggest maybe the fajitas.  The tortillas are the only real carbs & you will have protien w/ meat + all the veggies.  Stear clear of the stir fry there-the sauce is LOADED with carbs.  If you get a sandwich ask for a salad instead of fires to go with it-too many carbs.  BTW  I have had Type I diabetes for 15 years

zantonysmom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I was borderline diabetic, too when I was pregnant and I can tell you, I made the mistake of haveing chinese food (fried rice, chow mein and orange chicken), I spent the whole night throwing up in the bathroom. I was miserable. I wouldn't have chinese if I were you, go for the steak at Applebees, but watch yourself with the mashed potatoes!

momto4boys03-07
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

you could do chinesse but its really high in carbs. When i had gd i went once and my numbers where a little higher than normal.   If you do it go for a walk after wards and try to eat some extra protein.   

your right   Applebees would be a better choice

sweet-a-kins
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I was borderline as well, I would definately have the steak..Cause I LOVE steak! lOL

Chinese food is OK one time I would say..if doc said you can enjoy something every once in a while..

mikenmisty
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM

balance your carbs with protien and veggies. if you eat bread put butter on it the fat helps slow down the breakdown into sugar. i'd head for the steak if i were you.

Navygurl76
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I had GD w/ my son, he is 5 now. I had to check my blood 4 times a day, but luckily I didn't need insulin. I was able to control it with my diet.

My advice is avoid rice or any dish with noodles, they are high in carbs. Maybe try a vegetable dish or something with Chicken for the protein. If you do get a dish that comes with rice or noodles, just eat the meat and veggies part and you should be ok.I don't think an egg roll will hurt either (if you like them) :-)

When I was pregnant with my son I would "cheat" every once and a while, Hello Olive Garden and Coldstones Ice Cream!!! My doctor said that I did great with controlling it. My son was 8 Lbs even at 41 weeks when I gave birth. His blood sugar was a little low and they gave him a bottle when he was born, but I also had a c-section (non-GD related), so it was a bit before I could see him and start feeding him.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM

You could do either, but you just have to be smart about your choices.  You can still have carbs, just make sure you stick to the portions!  Get whatever you would normally get (minus lo mein or dishes that are mainly noodles), eat your veggies and meat normally, but only have a cup of rice, versus all of it.  Same thing if you go to Applebee's and get a steak...either don't get mashed potatoes or eat only 3/4 cup.  I had GD and it was pretty bad, from what I was told.  I had to do 4 pricks a day and take oral medication...thank God I never needed insulin.  I followed the diet, but I wasn't really anal about it.  I only gained 6 pounds during my pregnancy and at my 12 week follow up, I was diabetes free.  I was really worried because I was very overweight to begin with and lots of people were afraid that I would be diabetic for the rest of my life, but I'm not.  My biggest suggestion is to follow the cues from your body.  It didn't take me too long to figure out when my blood sugar was low or when I had had too much!

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I don't know if you've already gone or not....

I had GD, but was insulin dependent. Chinese food was reallllly bad for me. Keep in mind that a lot of Chinese has a lot of sugar in it and will increase your glucose levels. It has a TON of carbs in it as well..

In the long run.. protein is much better for you because it has very few carbs/simple sugars in it.

Claire

luvmybaby430
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

thanks so much yall,  I am going to go with applebees and get a steak, thanks, i know my hubby wants chinese but we can go after i have the baby, lol

thanks so much everyone, yall have been wonderful help. and probably saved me and the baby from gaining a little more then we should, lol, thanks again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)