Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism mommas - please help! (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son has severe autism.  Until recently I've been adamantly against medications.  We tried one when he was first diagnosed and it just made him all zoned out.  So until now, we've done no meds, a few vitamins, and all his therapies.

So he's getting to the point where we all agree he needs some meds.  His teacher thinks he's losing focus and its making it hard for him to learn any new skills.  I think he's been quite agressive lately and his OCD seems a bit out of control.  The doc says that its time to medicate. 

His appointment is next week and I'm just curious.  Do any of you have your kids on any meds?  What are they and what are they for?  How much do you feel its made a difference for your child?  Did it give them any negative side effects?  Do they appear "zoned out" when on them?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  I just want to know what to expect.

Jezzabelle718.gif picture by Greyhoundgirl1977

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2girls516
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

The only help I can give you is a Bump.  good Luck, I hope all goes well.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I can't help ya, but here's a bump!

laurenangelle
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM

There are many autism groups here on cafemom. I would suggest that you join one of those groups and re-post b/c they would have some great advice for you. Good luck momma. Hang in there.

northtexasmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM

bumpgood luck

Jezzabelle718
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Thanks I'm posting in those too.  Just trying to get as many opinions as I can. 

Quoting laurenangelle:

There are many autism groups here on cafemom. I would suggest that you join one of those groups and re-post b/c they would have some great advice for you. Good luck momma. Hang in there.

M0M0F03
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Quoting my2girls516:

The only help I can give you is a Bump.  good Luck, I hope all goes well.

mitch576
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

momma!!!!

look into the alzheimers meds!

i have a dr. friend here at cafe...her son takes nemenda.

he has "classic autism"

but for a profound child.. .he is amazing.

without the nemenda... he can't talk!

with it! ... wel i have had face to face conversations with him myself!

i am not a fan of meds either. and there are no meds to "treat autism" per se....

except for the alzheimers meds!  they have made a difference for so many children... just like they have for the elderly!

it is a rather new course of treatment that your dr. can look into further for you!

but... if i had to suggest trying ANYTHING  first. it would be nemenda

owner of 30andbeyond...jigsaw ribbon...ADMIN of autism, asperger's, pdd awareness

Jezzabelle718
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

thanks so much!  i will look into that and ask his doc about it. 

the only thing that was offered in the past was risperdol and it turned him into a zombie.  that was, however, 6 years ago and his current doc said there are a lot more options now.  i think she also wants him to try something also for his OCD (she mentioned paxil) but I will definitely inquire about the nemenda.  my son only speaks occasionally and its mostly just repetition from things that went on earlier in the day.

thanks again.

Quoting mitch576:

momma!!!!

he has "classic autism"

i am not a fan of meds either. and there are no meds to "treat autism" per se....

except for the alzheimers meds!  they have made a difference for so many children... just like they have for the elderly!

it is a rather new course of treatment that your dr. can look into further for you!

mitch576
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM

anytime hon! and if i happen upon anything else i will pass it along to you.

Quoting Jezzabelle718:

thanks so much!  i will look into that and ask his doc about it. 

the only thing that was offered in the past was risperdol and it turned him into a zombie.  that was, however, 6 years ago and his current doc said there are a lot more options now.  i think she also wants him to try something also for his OCD (she mentioned paxil) but I will definitely inquire about the nemenda.  my son only speaks occasionally and its mostly just repetition from things that went on earlier in the day.

thanks again.

Quoting mitch576:

momma!!!!

he has "classic autism"

owner of 30andbeyond...jigsaw ribbon...ADMIN of autism, asperger's, pdd awareness

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM

We found that the myriad of meds my son was on was making him worse. Now he is on one medication for his epilepsy and migraines , and melatonin at night. He does a lot better now that hes off the meds. I would try some , but I would be very careful about HOW I did it . I would start with one medication at a low dose and gradually increace it to get it to a theraputic level and see how it affects him daily for several months before adding any additional medications. Each person is affected by meds differently , so going slow with meds is the best advice i can give you. Good Luck.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)