• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blue hair?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:14 PM
  • 22 Replies

Okay this is going to sound weird.  My 2 1/2 year old has been asking for blue hair for more than 3 days straight now.  He won't forget about it.  He thinks it is a completely logical request.  I haven't answered him yet, but I'm looking at options first.

Right off, I wanted to tell him no, blue hair isn't normal.  But then I realized that I don't want to smother his little personality and creativity either.  So what if it isn't normal?  Now the only thing stopping me is... well, what could I use that is safe for a 2 1/2 year old?  Does anything like that even exist?  I did see a 3 year old at the mall the other day with pink streaks in her blond hair and she was adorable.   I didn't think to ask her mom what she used.

Last, no bashing here.  If you don't agree with my parenting, move on.   This is not about being irresponsible or anything of the likes.  It is about loving creativity, and believing that my child should be his own person, even if it means he wants blue hair.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Doudy2148
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I am a hairstylist and when I would do little boy haircuts I would always ask the parent if it was okay if I put a colored gel in their hair...you can buy them at Sally's. It may stain a little if his hair is real light, but it's just temporary fun! :)

M0M0F03

What about the color spray, you mostly see it at Halloween. It will wash out too, so he could just have blue hair sometimes :)

Sxci_Momma

I did my son's hair blue!! He was 3 and we used non toxic crayola paint and markers to do his hair!! He loved it and washed right out when we were done! Actually his hair has been alot of colors!!

danalou
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I don't think I personally would do it, but I'm sure you could call your local salon and see what they would recommend.  My 3 year old son wanted to do his hair in a mohawk...I said no, but we spike it up after his bath and he's satisfied with that. 

ElijahsMommy58

We just got a new kid in the daycare I work at yesterday & HE has PINK on the top of his head!

DnC0203

oh oh i can't think of the name of it but hair salons sell it.. its like a gel u put in their hair that will turn it Blue, Green. Red ect and it will wash out.. u can apply it every day if u like.. that way u aren't damaging it by dying it and so forth.. Just an idea and you are right dont smother his personality =o)  woooopt people in my family HATE that i let my son have a Mohawk whenever he wants to! better express themselves in style then doing it other ways we wouldnt approve of!

Frugalista
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Maybe check beauty supply stores for the color mousse that washes right out. Or check novelty stores for the blue hair spray (like what they have at Halloween) - though I'd read the directions and warnings carefully on that one.

Proudmommy312
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I love to see open minded mom's not afraid to let their kids show some creativity and originality! I don't know what products to use but maybe some gel or spray. Have fun!

Doudy2148
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Yeah, one of them is called Spikers by Joico...but the ones at Sally's Beauty Supply are cheaper. :)

Quoting DnC0203:

oh oh i can't think of the name of it but hair salons sell it.. its like a gel u put in their hair that will turn it Blue, Green. Red ect and it will wash out.. u can apply it every day if u like.. that way u aren't damaging it by dying it and so forth.. Just an idea and you are right dont smother his personality =o)  woooopt people in my family HATE that i let my son have a Mohawk whenever he wants to! better express themselves in style then doing it other ways we wouldnt approve of!

siobhan21
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I  used to do this to my son's hair...little spiky peices, in blue and sometimes green...they even have some at Walgreen's, etc...but Doudy's right...it can stain before it dries!

Quoting Doudy2148:

I am a hairstylist and when I would do little boy haircuts I would always ask the parent if it was okay if I put a colored gel in their hair...you can buy them at Sally's. It may stain a little if his hair is real light, but it's just temporary fun! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)