Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kid-friendly pups

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM
  • 48 Replies

hubby and i want to get a puppy for our kids.  but i am very wary as to which breed to get after hearing all these horror stories on certain dogs growing up and attacking children or other people. 

i don't want one that is aggressive and hot tempered.  i want them to be an all around fun and playful type of dog with a good sense of protecting :)

that's not too much to ask is it?

any suggestions?

Goin' on 3!!! Check out our progress and other fun tidbits @ http://mischbebes.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM

A lot of smaller sized dogs are hot tempered and shaky.  Either way if you get a puppy, that puppy will be raised with your children and will be kid friendly.  It won't matter if you get a rottie, pitt or a retriever.

Kid friendly types are Retrievers, Labs, Beagles, Bassett Hounds, stuff like that.

~Jill~

Angela_1974
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I think you are a little far away but I have 6 puppies that are ready to go to their new homes. They turned 7 weeks thursday. They are mixed breed though. Dad is yorkie and mom is mixed with jack russel and daschund.

misspixie67
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Labs are great with kids!!  We got ours when my boys were 2 and 4 he is almost 8 now and weighs 100lbs and is the most loving gentle dog!! Beleive it or not he helped potty train my youngest, he would go in the yard when the dog would  LOL!puppy

maurel80
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

If you get a pup, it will be kid friendly because it will be raised around kids. We prefere bulldogs. They are awesome with kids. And, since they g row up with them, they will be very protective over them..which is a good thing.

I"ve heard Beagles are good kid dogs too. I've never owned one so I really don't know for sure.

Good luck finding a puppy :0)

llrey74
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Okay listen, it's all in up bringing, there is alway a reason a dog bites, it has nothing to do with the breed, but rather the up bringing. I have a niece "my brothers dog" Sadies she is an American Pit..I trust her unconditionally with all my kids.  It is too funny when my mom got her pool put in, Becky was around 3, Sades would go into the back yard with her and if Becky even looked at the pool Sades would put herself between Becky and the pool...then she would bark like somebody better come out here I think this kid wants to jump  in the pool.lol.  if you are scared of pit's though, I suggest a Lab.

firelite36
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

We have two pugs - an older male and a puppy female and they are WONDERFUL  dogs around children. My son is 2 1/2 and as you can see from the picture on my home page - they have always gotten along GREAT!  They never snap, bark, bite, play rough at all........ they have alot of patience with my son - love to play catch and are very friendly and playful. I would reccomend them to anyone with children.

sweet-a-kins
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I got a pug when my son was 6 months old and my daughter was 4...they are 3 and 7 now and the dog is wonderful with them. He lets my son do all kinda crazy stuff to him@ LOL

We also had a boxer for awhile and my sister has one. They are are awesome! My daughter once picked up Roxys front paws and drug her across the floor, and Roxy just let her! My sisters Boxer is a huge bear of a dog!! and SHe LOVES kids, my son always attempts to ride him like a horse, he sleeps with my nephew and licks everyones faces to wkae them up!

4points
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM

i have 2 labs and they love my kids.

this is chunk  he is about 10 weeks old.

this is Ceaira  and chunk  Ceaira is just over a year old.  I am a stay home mom so i have time to spend with them.  Ceaira  is really smart. chunk getting there

phatbytch88. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
Mom2PunkRockers
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I have Pit Bulls and a Rottweiler and they are awesome with my kids, but most people dont like them because of all the stereotypes. Any dog can be good with kids regardless of breed , its not about breed , its about training , and socialization, the more , the earlier the better. I would research different dogs and find one that fits into your familys lifestyle , if you are active , look for an active dog , if you are couch potatoes look for a lazy dog. Find the dog that fits into your family best, dont concentrate so much on specific breeds. I also always always advocate for familys to ADOPT from a shelter, ASPCA, Humane Society, or private dog or cat rescue rather than buying from a pet store or breeder. Adoption saves lives and gets loving homes for awesome pets.

My dogs and my kids.

Jordan and T-Rex ( Rottweiler)

Sy and Sahara ( American Pit bull Terrier)

Sy and Flower ( American Pit bull Terrier)

Sy and Reece ( American Pit Bull Terrier/ American Bulldog )

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

AngelicaRenee
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I love german shepards and huskys. we had a mix of both those breeds growing up and she was the best dog. SOOOO soo friendly with everyone but when it came down to it, she was VERY protective, and even more so towards kids, whether she knew them or not. She was the perfect dog. Labs are great family dogs as well. 

just a little advice, no matter what kind of dog you get, make sure to socialize them well. Take them to the pet stores a lot. Also when picking out the puppy, hold it on it's back like you would a baby, if it is calm and lets you do that, they are generally not going to be very aggressive when older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)