Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anybody with a green thumb please readdd (with pictures)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

theres these little white bugs all over this plant I bought. I have had it for about 3 weeks. I'm not sure what kind of plant this is but I want to know how to kill the bugs without killing the plant. The white bugs are killing this plant.The holes in it are not bug holes thats how the plant looks.BUt any help would be great.The white blurries you see on the leaves are the little bugs.we are in Puerto Rico if that helps any,Or even matters !!! Thanks ladies in advance

duckdans.gif picture by crazyazzbamagirlhappiness-1.jpg Happiness image by JamaicaQueen22Carrie38.gif by Carrie image by SigShowBlinkies

SweetieCoastie.gif picture by crazyazzbamagirl
thdaughter.gif love image by m_a_babygirl 

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aarkat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

looks like scale to me.

i'm not exactly sure what the remedy is - perhaps soapy water sprayed on the leaves, and wipe them off?

i found this when i googled 'scale'. Click on the title to go to the site.

Scale Insects and Mealybugs on Ornamental Plants1

Eileen A. Buss and Jay Cee Turner2

Scale insects are the most serious pests of many ornamental plants. There are 13 families of scales in Florida, the most common being armored scales, soft scales, and mealybugs. Scales cause damage by sucking plant fluids from leaves (Figure 1), stems, and sometimes roots. Some species feed on the underside of leaves, which can appear as stippling (small yellow spots) or chlorotic lesions. Heavily infested plants look unhealthy and produce little new growth. Heavy infestations can cause extensive leaf yellowing, premature leaf drop (defoliation), branch dieback, and plant death.

Figure 1. 

Florida wax scales along leaf veins.

5MonsterMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I can't remember what they are called, but try a tiny bit of dishsoap in a spray bottle.. fill it up with water of course, and spray the leaves. If that doesn't work go to the store (usually nurseries have it...) and get something called Safer Soap. It kills them but is not a chemical, so its safer to use around kids and animals. I mean, try to keep it off of them and away from them... but you know what I mean. Good luck! Oh, and make sure yo pull off the dead parts of the plant. It makes it harder for it to recover if its trying to feed the already dead part.

purple ribbon

All cancer awareness is important.

Please have yourself checked if you suspect!!!

aarkat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

safer soap is great!

Quoting 5MonsterMommy:

I can't remember what they are called, but try a tiny bit of dishsoap in a spray bottle.. fill it up with water of course, and spray the leaves. If that doesn't work go to the store (usually nurseries have it...) and get something called Safer Soap. It kills them but is not a chemical, so its safer to use around kids and animals. I mean, try to keep it off of them and away from them... but you know what I mean. Good luck! Oh, and make sure yo pull off the dead parts of the plant. It makes it harder for it to recover if its trying to feed the already dead part.

hamhock
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Well I am not an expert but I do have a green thumb. A little dish soap in water and rub the leaves to kill the bugs.  But lowes and other stores sell a spray  for house plants. I had a similar problem with a plant and I sprayed it and transplanted it to a clay pot. Hope this helps.

Keirasmommy22
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Ok so I googled it and they are mealy bugs but I am not sure how to get rid of them.. Safely because this is an house plant and I don't want anything harmful in the house where my toddlers running around

duckdans.gif picture by crazyazzbamagirlhappiness-1.jpg Happiness image by JamaicaQueen22Carrie38.gif by Carrie image by SigShowBlinkies

Keirasmommy22
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Yes thank you mealybugs!

Quoting aarkat:

looks like scale to me.

i'm not exactly sure what the remedy is - perhaps soapy water sprayed on the leaves, and wipe them off?

i found this when i googled 'scale'. Click on the title to go to the site.

Scale Insects and Mealybugs on Ornamental Plants1

Eileen A. Buss and Jay Cee Turner2

Scale insects are the most serious pests of many ornamental plants. There are 13 families of scales in Florida, the most common being armored scales, soft scales, and mealybugs. Scales cause damage by sucking plant fluids from leaves (Figure 1), stems, and sometimes roots. Some species feed on the underside of leaves, which can appear as stippling (small yellow spots) or chlorotic lesions. Heavily infested plants look unhealthy and produce little new growth. Heavy infestations can cause extensive leaf yellowing, premature leaf drop (defoliation), branch dieback, and plant death.

Figure 1. 

Florida wax scales along leaf veins.

Carolbrady100
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Does your plant have small webs on it? It sounds like white fly, either way, the best way to get rid of any kind of bug is to blast them off with water. Bring it to the sink and rinse the leaves under water. You may need to do it every couple days for a week, until they are gone. Soap really isnt necessary and will stress your plant more, water is all you need.

Keirasmommy22
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Thank you

Quoting Carolbrady100:

Does your plant have small webs on it? It sounds like white fly, either way, the best way to get rid of any kind of bug is to blast them off with water. Bring it to the sink and rinse the leaves under water. You may need to do it every couple days for a week, until they are gone. Soap really isnt necessary and will stress your plant more, water is all you need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)