Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on child support/lastname changes

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a son near one years old, and the boyfriend I was with at the time, we gave my son his last name, because I was with him. We planned on getting married and all that good stuff.

Well my boyfriend hasnt had a job in the past three years, and I have to force him to go to school, and he'll only take like two to three if I am lucky, classes.

He is now my EX, and has been for 8 months. When my son was first born, I was by myself at home for two weeks, he didn't ask to see his son or anything! Now that we are apart my son goes to his dads, which is actually his parents whom he lives with, twice a week.

I don't get any child support and I have been the one making the effort for my son to see his father (because I think it's important), his dad doesn't call, or ask about him, unless he wants to start a fight with my current boyfriend.

Right now I am convinced that his parents only want my son over because of the "new puppy feel" as soon as he is older he will be like my EX's nephew, 10,  who comes over and sits on the couch all day and nobody does anything with the poor kid, and his own father doesn't do anything with him either or come to his parents (newphew's grandparents)to see him.

So anyhow, I am wondering how I may go about getting his last name changed, how much it costs and what interference my EX could do about it, if any?

I am also wondering how I file for child support, my son is on a medical card, so I figured PA would eventually contact him, but I know there are thousands of cases like so, and unless I speak up that it will just take forever.

Sorry so long, I kind of had to vent. 

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I don't know anything about the name change, but the PA Power Port website has child support info.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I believe you will need to get permission from his dad. I am not sure of the cost involved. I don't know about your state. In Maryland you can save attorney fees by filing all of the paperwork yourself, so then you just have filing fees for the child support.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I was looking into the name change thing myself for my daughter and her son.  she wants to drop the second half of the baby's last name ( her name - his name) .  It's my understanding at this point that as long as the child is a minor the father would have to consent and sign legal documents to have the childs name changed.  Once he is 18 yrs old he can change it to what ever he wants.

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM


Hi J2508

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
>>The CafeMom Admin Team

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM

If I'm understanding you correctly, your child's last name is your ex-boyfriend's (not the bio father)?  Is that ex-boyfriend also listed as the father?  The legal father usually has to give permission for a name change.  The biological father is not the legal father unless his name is on the birth certificate or DNA tests have been done and there is court-ordered support.  I'm in California and it's about $300 to change a name.  Depending on your state, your child may always have an original birth certificate with the old name on, and a new "ammended" certificate with the changes.

Good Luck


           ~Please read my toddler blog-Raising Rocco~

I am a green, natural-birthing, co-sleeping, non-CIO, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, extended-breastfeeding, non-spanking, delayed-vaccinating, early toilet-teaching, Irish Catholic mama of advanced maternal age to my extended rear-facing Italian bambino. You don't have to agree, but that's me. Nice to meet you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)