Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pit Bulls "Its all in how they are raised" I THINK NOT!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM
  • 27 Replies

Beaten-down dog from Vick case has his day

Pit bull rescued from famous dogfighting ring now helps cancer patients

Video
  Vick dog’s new life
June 17: A pit bull rescued from Michael Vick's dogfighting stable finds a new life in California. KNTV’s Marianne Favro reports.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - It’s a dog’s life. And for Leo it couldn’t be better.

Leo — rescued from heavy chains that confined him as one of the pit bulls in former NFL quarterback Michael Vick’s dogfighting ring — is a lover, not a fighter. He now happily frolics in a clown collar as he makes the rounds at the Camino Infusion Center, where he brings comfort to cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

Despite his training as a killer, Leo is a sweetheart as he visits his friends on the ward.

“He is wonderful, and all the patients love Leo,” said Paula Reed, the facility’s oncology director. “They really love his eyes and gentleness.”

Six months ago, Leo should have been dead.

When officers raided Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels in Smithfield, Va., last year, they found dogs, some injured and scarred, chained to buried car axles. Forensic experts discovered remains of dogs that had been shot with a .22-caliber pistol, electrocuted, drowned, hanged or slammed to the ground for lacking a desire to fight.

Vick, an All-Pro quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons, was suspended indefinitely and is serving 23 months in federal prison after pleading guilty in August to bankrolling the dogfighting operation and helping to kill as many as eight dogs. Three co-defendants also pleaded guilty and were sentenced to prison.

About 50 dogs were rescued.

Animal advocates are divided over whether fighting dogs can be trusted to have new lives as pets or working dogs. One of the dogs seized at Bad Newz was put down as too aggressive, but the others were dispersed to sanctuaries and training facilities across the country.

An ‘incredible’ difference with patients
One of them was Leo, who ended up in the care of Marthina McClay, a certified trainer and counselor in Los Gatos, near San Francisco. McClay is president of Our Pack, an advocacy group for pit bulls.

“He was a little like a caveman at a tea party,” McClay said. “He didn’t have a lot of training.”

But after five weeks of intense instruction and supervision, and more weeks of acclimation, Leo is now — with all due respect —a pussy cat. He loves putting his head on a patient’s lap and batting his big brown eyes.

“The difference that he’s had with our patients has been incredible — the smiles on their faces, the joy when they see him,” said Reed of the cancer center.

“Leo is a survivor and our patients are survivors, and I think they can relate to each other,” she said.

Leo also touches young people on probation at the Alternative Placement Academy in San Jose, where the young men seem to identify with the former tough guy.

“I think they saw this dog’s awful background, and it communicates to the kids that you can end up being what you want to be,” McClay said.

It’s the age-old story of second chances. By living his, Leo helps tear down entrenched stereotypes that pit bulls are irredeemable killers.

“Leo is definitely an ambassador to the breed,” McClay said. “The staff at various facilities will say, ‘I will never see pit bulls the same again.’”

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
llrey74
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

My Niece Sadies. I would die for her!

Babylove135
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I love this story!!

Come join our group where you can talk about whatever you want with no drama!!     www.cafemom.com/group/BusyB

llrey74
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Also some Pit Bull owners feed their dogs gun powder, that gives them irreversable brain damage.  Those people should be thrown in jail.

P13
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Thanks for sharing I love stories like this. Makes me want to go home and hug my pit :)

pricelesslove24
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I love this story! I have 2 pitt bulls and i love them dearly! this is just to show that not all dogs are "bad" dogs.

Mom to Kelvin (5)&Chelsea(15m) Wife to Lance(26).

Mandafers
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for spreading more good publicity for these awesome dogs! It's so sad what so many of them go through.

Ada and Benny about 15 mos ago, maybe a little more.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy calendar

Kays_Mama06
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

This is a very touching story.

Kays_Mama06
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Gorgeous! I want one sooo bad..

Quoting Mandafers:

Thanks for spreading more good publicity for these awesome dogs! It's so sad what so many of them go through.

Ada and Benny about 15 mos ago, maybe a little more.

crazymom1775
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

My sweet pit lab mix. He's the first dog I've ever loved and the sweetest thing.

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

My pitbull mix, Radja, was a rescue dog from a fighting ring. They bred her to fight by making the ultimate fighting mix (four different breeds). Yet, she is so sweet!

She is the only one out of the rescued dogs in the fighting ring that was crashed by police (where they seized over 20 dogs) to survive and be adopted out. She was litterally walking to be put down when my dad said he wanted her.

She has saved our lives twice from break ins, and saved my niece from my mother's dog, who attacked my niece when she got too close when she was in heat. She has also run to save a small puppy and the little girl walking her puppy from a rotwieler who escaped from his yard.

My dog was abused horribly for half a year of her life. Now she's 11 years old and uses her strengths to protect instead of harm. She keeps the kids safe, and I trust her fully around them.

She is my savior. My "fighting" dog. She is my first baby. I will never believe she ever attacks anyone for no reason. She survived and is the only reason I have survived to live to my age as well.

I love stories like this. They make me cry and hug my dog. I know there are more good dogs out there like ours. Let's show everyone the true face of pitbulls. Their sweet eyes and surviving natures.

I'm a co-sleeping, baby carrying, cloth diapering, early potty training, delayed/selective vaccinating, circumcising, gardening and hunting, just lost my job, animal loving, breastfeeding, no spanking, no screaming, Kazdin Method using, sign language using, book loving, Pagan living Witch, pro-life, meat eating, head strong mommy of a baby boy who is gifted (Sept 25, 07), a step-son with PDD-NOS Autism (Jun 11, 04), due August 5, 2009.
Join Me In These Groups: Pagan & Proud | Natural Nurturing | 2007 Babies | Baby Sign Language | Hard Ass Mommas | Old Fashioned & Anti Mainstream Moms | Step-Parenting | Moms Against Child Sexual Abuse | Caylee Anthony

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)