Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ex mother inlaw tryin to control with money-grrrr "updated"

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM
  • 13 Replies

ok here the deal my EX mil and my son got into a car accident approx. 2 years ago. my son will be getting a check for 8,200. I want to put it in a college fund for son. she wants the same thing (none of her business anyway). But she wants me to put ex husband & her as signers on the account like I will take his money and if he doesnt go to school he cant touch til hes 30. this is stupid. I have NEVER gotten child support from him. I own my own home by myself after our divorce. I have a professional job. Her son hasnrt worked in two years. Hes a total looser. i am fully capable of being responsible for my sons finances. she is a bitch & wants to control my sons money and him.so irritated right now.

so over the weekend I called & just said plain & simple, that is NOT going to happen. I know they believe they are looking out for my son but he is mine & I will take care of it. She seemed calm but I have a feeling that this is a trick. I call the DA today & we will see. Shes good friends with him.I will let yall know what scam they create now.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicki1985
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I personally wouldn't. let her know that she can deposit money anytime she wants...but she doesn't need access to take it out.

SWasson
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Don't let them get you down. Just ignore them and do what you were going to do.

ColoradoMomma25
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

If the check is in your son's name and you have custody then there is nothing they can do about who's name goes on the account and who's doesn't. If it is in her name you might have more problems but since you have custody and the money is going in his name then it shouldn't be too hard to just have your name on the account. It is just totally wrong of her to be acting this way with you!

MamaBerry1978
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I agree. I wouldn't be suprized if this was just a ploy to get her hands on the stuff.

Quoting Nicki1985:

I personally wouldn't. let her know that she can deposit money anytime she wants...but she doesn't need access to take it out.

Wistful
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Well if you open just a regular savings account you can only have his name and one other persons on it. I would just go and open it and tell her oh well. She can just deal with it.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

gitanomadre
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM

um nope  no way no  no no    

TarotMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I most definitely would not put the ex and/or his mom on the account. I'd tell her she's nuts and it's none of her business what you do with YOUR child's money and that she needs to worry about her own deadbeat son.

Do not talk to about it again, tell her the subject is not open for debate, PERIOD.

joshuasmomma985
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I have joint custody and im custodial parent. but i havent gottn child support EVER EVER EVER. she is a crazy lady. the check is in ex & my name but he will have to sign it over. she is saying in case i die that way craig (ex) cant spend the money. But if I die my sister is a cpa & she controls all the money that goes to whomever gets custody of son.

She controls with money all the time. thats why her idiot son doesnt work

joshuasmomma985
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM

o BTW she is the one who has the attorney that got the money, shes friends with the DA. so she asked him to try to set up pthe trust. i will have to pick the check up from him. so what she still has nothing to do with joshus money. Plus I make a point of not asking her for money like her sons ex wife before me. she spends time with him & buys him stuff or we went halfs on rodeo equipment because it was 1000.00 but thats what grandparents do. when I left her son my ds was 1 yrs old & couldnt get a bag of diapers from them because they thought i would go back if i was broke. I went to school full time, worked a full time jos (min wgae) with no child support for two years.

TarotMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Since she did do some to help get the money I'd probably just tell her thanks that you have a CPA for a sister that is perfectly capable of handling everything if something happened to you. I'd probably through in there that you don't plan on going any time soon so you hope she doesn't worry too much over this...

As a grandmother myself, yes, you are right, that's what grandparents do. If your ex hesitates to sign that check I'd threaten him with owing back child support.

Quoting joshuasmomma985:

o BTW she is the one who has the attorney that got the money, shes friends with the DA. so she asked him to try to set up pthe trust. i will have to pick the check up from him. so what she still has nothing to do with joshus money. Plus I make a point of not asking her for money like her sons ex wife before me. she spends time with him & buys him stuff or we went halfs on rodeo equipment because it was 1000.00 but thats what grandparents do. when I left her son my ds was 1 yrs old & couldnt get a bag of diapers from them because they thought i would go back if i was broke. I went to school full time, worked a full time jos (min wgae) with no child support for two years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)