Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think? Am I just crazy?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok, so I was reading the post about the 13 year old boy and the 15 year old girl having a baby.

People are saying stuff like, "well, the baby could have ended up in the trash, at least they're taking care of it."

Call me crazy, but isn't it EXPECTED that if you have a baby, you take care of it, to the best of your ability?? I mean, granted they're teens, but they're not mentally handicapped. They SHOULD take responsibitlty as much as they are able to. Since when does anyone get medals for doing what they are supposed to do???

Like, if your child comes home with all C's on their reports cards, would you tell them, "great job, you know, you could've gone out and stole cars and rob people at gun point, but you went to school instead, I'm so proud"

I'm not bashing teen parents...my mom was a teen mom. All I'm saying is if you are old enough to have a child, you sure as hell are old enough to know you are supposed to take care of it.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SWasson
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Good job for not writing something else!

a.opat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

i was 14 when i had my baby,had i heard any of the comments that at least i didnt put her in the trash i would have gone berzerk. i love my little girl.

The Opat Clan!

Paesana82
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM

That's what I'm trying to say, you may have been 14, but most 14 year olds aren't murderers, or even horrible people! I think people's expectations are so low that they have to praise people for doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Quoting a.opat:

i was 14 when i had my baby,had i heard any of the comments that at least i didnt put her in the trash i would have gone berzerk. i love my little girl.

beth1102
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Quoting Paesana82:

Ok, so I was reading the post about the 13 year old boy and the 15 year old girl having a baby.

People are saying stuff like, "well, the baby could have ended up in the trash, at least they're taking care of it."

Call me crazy, but isn't it EXPECTED that if you have a baby, you take care of it, to the best of your ability?? I mean, granted they're teens, but they're not mentally handicapped. They SHOULD take responsibitlty as much as they are able to. Since when does anyone get medals for doing what they are supposed to do???

Like, if your child comes home with all C's on their reports cards, would you tell them, "great job, you know, you could've gone out and stole cars and rob people at gun point, but you went to school instead, I'm so proud"

I'm not bashing teen parents...my mom was a teen mom. All I'm saying is if you are old enough to have a child, you sure as hell are old enough to know you are supposed to take care of it.

yes as parents you should take care of your kid no matter the age, but that isnt always the case. a girl from my high school had a baby duing a basketball game and put it in the garbage while she went back to the game. i dont know how she had the baby by herself or if she was by herself, but it has happend.

Paesana82
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Just because people do bad things occasionally doesn't mean you should expect that of everyone. Dumping your baby in the garbage is NOT normal. Taking care of your baby is. The majority of people try really hard to take care of their kids, young or not.

Some people become serial killers but will you praise your child for NOT being one? No, you expect that your child will be a decent person.

Quoting beth1102:

Quoting Paesana82:

yes as parents you should take care of your kid no matter the age, but that isnt always the case. a girl from my high school had a baby duing a basketball game and put it in the garbage while she went back to the game. i dont know how she had the baby by herself or if she was by herself, but it has happend.

MamaAgain
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I just think the story is crazy and if it was reversed a 15 year old boy who got a baby faced 12 year old girl pregnant would be in jail!!!  And they aren't taking the responsibiliy their parents are!! They'll probably just go back to school like othing ever happened!

elvir2babes
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM

these are still KIDS having KIDS, something they are NOT emotionally, mentally or financially ready, they are not even old enough to drive or vote or do most things

I think it is better if they did not have a child at such a young age, but what's done is done, and now they have to do the right thing, but I am sure most of the responsibility falls on their mothers

bad

Divorced, Separated, Single or Widowed Moms! Check out this awesome group!! http://www.cafemom.com/group/ConfidentSingleMoms

Paesana82
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Yeah, well that's another issue. THey have plans to take care of the baby now, but we'll see what happens in a few months. I mean, I really hope they do it, but before we go out handing them medals, let's wait and see what happens!

God forbid this happened to my kids, they would go to school and get a job and take care of their baby.

Quoting MamaAgain:

I just think the story is crazy and if it was reversed a 15 year old boy who got a baby faced 12 year old girl pregnant would be in jail!!!  And they aren't taking the responsibiliy their parents are!! They'll probably just go back to school like othing ever happened!

Paesana82
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Yes they are kids. They chose to have sex, no one forceed them. Most kids that age AREN'T ready for that kind of responsibility but they got themselves into that situation. They should be expected to deal with it as best they can.

Obviously they are going to need help. I would expect that at any age, if you have a baby you have to take care of it. Yes, what's done is done. It was bad judgement. So, what do you do, say ok, you made a really big "mistake"(I don't like calling babies mistakes) now, you just go about your normal life while their parents pay the price?

No. That's not how it works. If you act like an adult and have sex, you deal with the consequences. They're lucky they just got prego and didn't end up with HIV!

In any case, they should care for their child. Back in the day, young kids had kids and took care of them....I'm not saying I encourage that, but they got themselves into that situation, now they have to deal with it.

Quoting elvir2babes:

these are still KIDS having KIDS, something they are NOT emotionally, mentally or financially ready, they are not even old enough to drive or vote or do most things

I think it is better if they did not have a child at such a young age, but what's done is done, and now they have to do the right thing, but I am sure most of the responsibility falls on their mothers

bad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)