• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it cute when little kids make Valentine's Day cards? Or are we teaching them a bad lesson?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

Too Young for Romance by Brett Singer Feb 11th 2009 11:00AM Categories: Kids 5-7, Holidays Valentine's Day is almost upon us. Children of all ages will exchange cards, hugs and candy hearts. It starts as young as kindergarten, and continues until the kids discover that sometimes "love" is more fun in private. I know this will make some folks mad, but maybe having little kids make Valentine's for their peers is a bad idea. To illustrate, here are some examples, both personal and fictional.When I was a lad, a mere 6 years old, I had a girlfriend. She was a blonde. Short hair. Wendy to my Peter Pan. (Literally – we put on a play together at my house. I used my mother's wooden letter opener as a sword. Very romantic.) One day at school, we decided, over blocks, that we would have a baby together. We weren't clear on the details; we just knew that a man needed something and a woman needed something else. Put these two things together and WAM! Little bundle of joy. So we agreed to go to Woolworth's (a now-defunct department store) where we were positive the appropriate parts could be purchased. I don't think we knew what exactly we needed to buy, but we seemed certain that each came in it's own little plastic bag and was next to the pet food aisle. (That girl's name... was Nadya Suleman. Just kidding.) Remember Ralph Wiggum? Poor Ralph. His heart was broken by Lisa Simpson when she rejected his offer of love. Eventually she gives him a Valentine – "I Choo-Choo-Choose You" – and all was forgiven. Remember how Charlie Brown was the only kid in his class that didn't get a single Valentine? He opens his mailbox only to get a kiss on the nose from his trusty beagle. No matter how hard teachers try to keep everything fair, there will always be a Charlie Brown or a Ralph Wiggum (it's usually the boys, isn't it?) who doesn't get a card. Or maybe they get a card, but everyone else gets more cards. And for the kid who isn't getting cards, Valentine's Day sucks big time. Typically the cardless kid is the one who isn't popular the rest of the year. Why create a school-sanctioned event that will make the poor guy feel even worse than he already does? Look. Young love is adorable. Those little German kids who tried to elope were undeniably cute. And look at this video! Can I get an "Awwww"? Still, why teach kids how to judge their peers based on some notion of romance that they don't really understand? I know. It's just fun. I should lighten up. But what if your child is Charlie Brown? Then how would you feel? Confession time: My kindergarten success with the ladies didn't last; I had no elementary school romantic entanglements. By high school I got my mojo back, and I'm keeping those stories to myself. By then I didn't have to sit around a table with construction paper and glue making sticky heart-shaped cards for my fellow students. Here's an idea. Why not make Valentine's Day cards for an organization like Meals on Wheels? Or Ronald McDonald House? Wouldn't that be a nice thing to do? It's certainly better than (a) forcing kids to make cards for kids in their class that they don't like, just to be "nice" or (b) letting them make cards only for the kids that they do like, thereby making anyone who doesn't get cards feel like crap. Let them discover boyfriend/girlfriend stuff on their own. It's cuter, and leads to less hurt feelings. What do you think? Is it cute when little kids make Valentine's Day cards? Or are we teaching them a bad lesson?CLICK ON LINK TO WATCH A VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0otVloKoI

JOIN MY GROUP its called BLUERAIN EVERYONE IS INVITED TO JOIN LETS HAVE SOME FUN

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tfmmpmmdmmom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I think it's cute. I like it more now that the kids have a valentine for everyone in the class. My daughter's class doesn't write the students name on the cards just who it's from. They seem to have fun, it doesn't mean anything more than friendship when they're young.

janetmwright
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I think it is cute.  My children love to make Valentine's cards for everyone they know.  They are now home schooled so we don't have the list of everyone in the class to make for, so the kids were sitting around the last few days making cards for neighbors, friends, church members, everyone they could possibly think of.  They like to let others know that they are thinking about them.

I'm a home schooling, baking, cake decorating, work from home, babysitting, boo-boo kissing, "taxi" driving, meal plan using, low fat cooking, chemical free product using, free to enjoy life, fun loving mamma of Skyler and Destiny, and wife to William. 

bluerain31
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Quoting tfmmpmmdmmom:

I think it's cute. I like it more now that the kids have a valentine for everyone in the class. My daughter's class doesn't write the students name on the cards just who it's from. They seem to have fun, it doesn't mean anything more than friendship when they're young.

YES I AGREE

JOIN MY GROUP its called BLUERAIN EVERYONE IS INVITED TO JOIN LETS HAVE SOME FUN

mrs.will
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I THINK ITS HARMLESS. FOR YOUNG KIDS ITS MORE ABOUT FRIENDS THAN LOVE.  ACTUALLY TODAY MY DAUGHTER IS HAVING A FRIENSHIP BALL AT SCHOOL.  SHE KNOWS THAT ITS A DAY TO SHOW THE PEOPLE HOW IMPORTANT THEY ARE TO US WE MADE CARDS FOR OF COURSE HER CLASSMATES BUT ALSO DADDY AND NANNY AND PAPA AND GRANDMA AND GRANDAD. LOL.  I THINK ITS  A FUN DAY THAT PEOPLE SHOULD NOT TAKE SO SERIOUSLY.

lilmansmama08
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM

my son is in kindergarten and they give valentines to everyone. he does write the names on them. he also received a special valentine from his 'girlfriend' and then a fake flower from another little girl. unfortunately my son seems to be quite the ladies man already.

SophiaofLight
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I think it's cute and I used to love to do that at school. My Mom always made me give Valentine's to all the kids tho.  

cookieisaSAHM
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM

it's cute. What type of bad lesson are you talking about?

mamamissy316
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM

OMG, how ridiculous to say that giving Valentines is bad for kids!  LOL It is sweet, and they don't associate it with love or baby making!  When I was in school, everyone gave a valentine to everyone.  That way no one was stuck without one.  I don't know if that will be the rule when my kids are in school, but I will make sure they give a card to everyone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)