• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O-when will you allow make up???

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM
  • 86 Replies

If you have little girls, when will you allow (or when did you allow) make up?  Either "play" make up or real?  I don't think my DD will be allowed to wear any until she is in high school at least (she's only 16 months now, so who knows what the future holds, but that's how I feel for now).  IMO, make up is meant to attract the opposite sex and I just don't think that's something little kids need to be into.  What are your thoughts?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sirenabella
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I don't have a daughter. If I did I would probably allow her to start wearing makeup around 8th or 9th grade.

CarlaD
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I don't have problems with play make-up.  As far as when she's older,a lot of it depends on her I think.  I will also allow it in stages.  She's not going to have a full face on at 12 years old.  Some lip gloss and work up from there.

youngmum1234
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I have a boy so i cant really say, i hope my LO doesnt want to wear make-up when he is older lol.....but there have been times when he has seen me wear mine and he trys to put it on...i always dressed up my little sister in light stuff when she was little though, like 3-5.. my mom jsut didnt let her wear it out any where...I think for kids its just something for make-believe....i have never been a big make-up wearer though, so i hope when i have a girl she isnt either

stefvan
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Middle school - if you don't your dd will be the only one without it on.  I swear.  My dd is in 7th grade.  She wears lipgloss, eye shadow and mascara.

lovemymarine306

i'll let her wear play makeup when she's about 5-6, but in the house only!  i think i'll allow real makeup depending on her maturity level.  it could be 12, or as long as 16

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

MommyOfChaos

IMO, makeup is for the person that is wearing it.  It is meant to make that person feel beautiful and confident. As for the age my daughter will be when she wears it will all depend on what she is wanting to wear ( mascars, lipgloss, etc.) It will all probably come at different times.

Steph1499

Well    I think play make up is fine when they are little  what ever age she wants to start playing with it.  Mow real make up I think middle school will be ok for   lip gloss and  stuff like that but  full on make up  high school  or the eighth grade.  I dont find make up a big deal probably cause i never wear any but  I think its something that  is a wait and see  cause  she may never get into it till high school  or she may want to wear it in middle.   As long as they dont look like a stripper  going to work  then I find nothing wrong with it.  lol

beattygirl

my DD didnt start make till she was 14.. i couldnt stop her.... all her friends are on make up.... 

mstnbecki

I started wearing it at 13 and not fir sexual perposes but because I wanted to look pretty.I see nothing wrong with a little lip gloss and some mascara i wouldnt let her go all out with the full foundation and eye shadow and stuff.

WhiteTigerLily
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I don't see a problem with young girls( i mean even 5 yrs old) wearing nail polish or lip gloss and maybe even a little bit of eye shdaow if they are playing around. i too feel like make up should be worn by older girls and honestly if they don't get started too early they may not wear makeup very much at all.( unlike some girls I see wearing so much make up it looks like they spackled their face before leaving the house ) LMAO!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)