Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothers-to-Be Saying No to Modern Medicine

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM
  • 199 Replies

Here is an article and video on ABC.

"Modern medicine means not having to go through childbirth alone. But that's what a small and growing number of women are choosing to do.

For some, delivering a healthy child doesn't involve a trip to the hospital.

Back in the 1800s, giving birth at home, sometimes with the assistance of a midwife, was about the only option. But doing the same today generates both well-wishers and critics.

"The majority of babies throughout history have been born unassisted, and I felt this is what birth is supposed to be," said Laura Shanley, who has had five babies at home that she chronicles in her book,"Unassisted Childbirth."

"When you're told that this is ...[a] dangerous process and everyone around you is alert and expecting the worst, it's really Murphy's Law," she said"

** UPDATE **

For those who think I am just being mean to those who choose to have hospital births...

Read HERE.  Yes, it is long, but it will show you what I have experienced.

"For some, delivering a healthy child doesn't involve a trip to the hospital."

girl giving flower                    Happy Outgoing Mothers Enjoy 

Schooling Children Home Out Of Love  =  HOMESCHOOL

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM
Replies (1-10):
Jynx1978
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I'm happier with an epidural, thanks. 

~ Don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes. ~

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:06 PM

My mother had all 4 of us at home, naturally. Its just not for me. 

evansmommy0828
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM
DS and I would have died if we had been home. So, no thanks!
Jezzabelle718
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM

i needed a c-section so i'm glad i was in a hospital.  plus, i wouldn't want that mess in my house lol.

but if that's what works for other moms-to-be...more power to them!

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I thought it was a nice article.  They interviewed Ricki Lake (from BOBB).  I, personally, loved my last two natural home births.  I do, however, think it is best to have your baby where you are comfortable.  If your more comfortable in the medical environment, have your baby there.  If your not, don't.  The less stress on the mom, the easier the birth (normally). 

girl giving flower                    Happy Outgoing Mothers Enjoy 

Schooling Children Home Out Of Love  =  HOMESCHOOL

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Quoting Jezzabelle718:

i needed a c-section so i'm glad i was in a hospital.  plus, i wouldn't want that mess in my house lol.

but if that's what works for other moms-to-be...more power to them!

There is really not any mess.  You just buy Chux pads and wear an adult diaper (if your water broke).  I had my first home birth on my couch, with towels under me.  No mess other than a quick wash of my towels.  Or, you can have a water birth.  I want that for my next baby.  :)

depsiua
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I probably would have died had I had my son at home.  People seem to forget that, although most babies were born at home and unassisted in the 1800s, one of the leading causes of death for women of childbearing age was childbirth.  It can and often is completely safe, but many things can and do go wrong.

jothra
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:16 PM

My SIL had her last baby at home. After criticizing me for wanting a primary c/s because of DH's huge head, she said if she gets preggo again, she will opt for a c/s. Her last daughter almost died in childbirth. Thank goodness she had a midwife with her. And no, I'm not exaggerating, the assistant was on her way to call 911 when they finally got the baby out.

XxtaysmommyxX
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Quoting Jynx1978:

I'm happier with an epidural, thanks. 

exactly!!

iheartmyshaman
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Funny how it doesn't say in the 1800s near 50% of women died of childbirth complications.  With their babies.

I think I'll go ahead and trust the people that went to school for 10 years to become doctors.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)