• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about Ovarian cysts? piog

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have gotten large cysts on my ovaries several times and ended up going to the hospital or trying to bare the pain without going to the hospital. This has been happening ever since the time I was 14 years old. I am now 22 and concieved my first son on birthcontrol. Now we've been trying for our second baby for 8 almost 9 months now and nothing yet. I was in the emergency room with a very large cyst on my right ovary. Then the month before that I was in for the same thing. They told me to follow up with an obgyn and so I went today and they told me they wanted to test me to see if i have polycystic ovarian syndrome that that could be what my problems are and why I'm not getting my period regularly. My periods are really unpredictable anywhere from 30-75 days apart and she said that if the blood work comes out positive that she will put me on Metforman which should help with the cysts and getting my period regularly. So Anyone have polycystic ovarian syndrome or someone taken the medicine metformin? Do you have regular cycles and How do you deal with it? Does it affect you your whole life? and does metformin help? Plz bump me if you don't know.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
_Teresa_
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM

There are so many variations of PCOS that it's hard for someone to give a clear answer.  It took 3yrs for us to get pregnant but I have regular periods.  However, I too get very large cycts and end up in the hospital every now and then.  I take birth control to regulate my hormones to keep them down as much as possible but I'm also not trying for anymore kids.

So here's a bump for ya!

CarlaD
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I have PCOS.  I got diagnosed in 1998.  I took Metformin.  I took Metformin, Provera and Clomid.  Metformin didn't help me at all.  PCOS is tough becaused there are so many symptoms and each can affect you singularly or feed off of other symptoms.  My weight was a big factor in how severe my PCOS symptoms were.  I have lost a ton of weight and have been pregnant 4 times naturally.  I have 2 children and am pregnant with the 3rd.  Every new OB I have or gyno looks at my ovaries and just scratches their head.  The way I look on the inside does not coincide with my fertility at all.  I still have many other classic symptoms, just not the fertility issue any longer.  With my oldest son I had a huge cyst that continued to grow until I was 5 months pregnant with him.  It finally burst though.  Also since my weight loss my sugar/insulin resistance issue has worked itself out.  But before I lost anything, it was a nightmare.  I couod go on for days.  If you want to ask specific questions,  I will answer them.

luvmybabies04
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM

My little sister has PCOS and has been on Metformin for almost two years.  She just turned 24, and doesnt have any children yet.  She has been trying for over a year and may have to go another route.  They told her that if she wants to have children she will have to deal with the cysts and stay on medication until she is done wanted children because they cant remove them without removing her ovaries.  But really I think alot of it is going to depend on the severity of yours and what your OB thinks.  Everyone is different.

aarkat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM

i don't know much about ovarian cysts, but i have a good friend who has horrible pain dealing with them, and has had them for a long time.  she has problems carrying a pregnancy to term because of the cysts.

there is a group here i belong to about ovarian cancer, and i know i've read about ovarian cysts in there.  you could see if there is some helpful info, there are many links also.

best of luck  : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)