Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spoiled kids...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you spoil your kids with material things or LOVE? OR do you consider buying them material things love?? I got this idea from another post where moms were ranting about how spoiled their kids were because they buy them this, that and the third....

I spoil my son with love, attention and affection. We do very well financially and live nicely but my son is not spoiled materialistically. I don't believe in that. From the outside looking in it will seems like he has a lot of things but he's not spoiled. He appreciates everything he gets and does not beg when we go into stores and things like that.

****Just to clarify...just because you buy your kids a lot of things DOES NOT mean that they are SPOILED...I am specifically asking the moms who SAY that they SPOIL thier kids with things****

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OfTheFaIIen
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Personally I think if your kids are well loved and diciplined, you cant REALLY spoil them with material things because they will know limits and respect. JMO But I spoil my girl with both. =D

Truth can be found if only you would see it.

Ms.Dean
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I spoil them all a little differently. My oldest I spoil with toys but he takes very good care of them. My second who is a girl gets a lot more clothes than the other 2 because i just cannot resist soemtimes, but its all clearance/sale stuff. My youngest is only spoiled by everyone who comes over to visit because they tend to just sit there and hold him. Even though they all are a bit spoiled I don't feel i go overboard.

HeatherMae55
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I REFUSE to have a child who does not appreciate what he has or appreciate me and his father.... I grew up with very little and I appreciated everything.. my parents gave me tons of love & attention which is most important.. My little man IS NOT SPOILED w/ material things.

INTERRACIALLOVE.jpg interracial love image by bullfrog1723

NJMom2Tyler
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM

1 aarchaic : despoil , strip b: pillage , rob2archaic : to seize by force3 a: to damage seriously : ruin b: to impair the quality or effect of <a quarrel spoiled the celebration>4 a: to impair the disposition or character of by overindulgence or excessive praise b: to pamper excessively : coddleintransitive verb1: to practice plunder and robbery2: to lose valuable or useful qualities usually as a result of decay <the fruit spoiled>3: to have an eager desire <spoiling for a fight>

synonyms see decay, indulge

Just thought I'd post the meaning of the word spoiled.....we can say that we do lots of things for our children but to say you SPOIL them with material things is different. Please read the meaning of spoiled.
Ms.Dean
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Oh btw its hard to spoil them with attention i have 3 who are under 5 yrs so they rerally don't get a lot of individual attention. They have a lot of love thoguh.

Sheley
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I think we are just like you.  We dont buy him tons of toys and clothes and things...we shower him with fishing trips and bike rides and things like that tho.  We spoil with love, i think anyway.

CarlaD

I think it's a mix of both in our house.  They get more love than anything, but they have a lot of "stuff" too.  However, they do not expect to always get something.  They rarely, almost never ask for anything.  They are well behaved and well adjusted for the most part.  They share well with others, understand that they can't have everything.  They are super sweet and give out love as much as they get.

hfs1998

I don't really like using the word "spoil" with love.  You can't have too much love!  And saying "spoil" just seems to me that you are somehow ruining a child.  I think kids can be spoiled with too many things, but never ever with love.  I don't think I spoil my kids in any way, but I do think they are lucky sometimes to have things that I never had (lessons, private school, etc) - they aren't being ruined by these things, they are just lucky that we can afford to give them these little extras.

Memaw08
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM

We spoiled our kids with love and attention. They did get a lot of what they wanted but in giving them all the love and attention they needed I think it taught them to appreciate the material things that they received.

Sheley
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I believe she is following another post which is bragging of spoiling their children with lots of gifts and clothes.  You sound kind of rude putting this here.

Quoting NJMom2Tyler:

1 aarchaic : despoil , strip b: pillage , rob2archaic : to seize by force3 a: to damage seriously : ruin b: to impair the quality or effect of spoiled the celebration>4 a: to impair the disposition or character of by overindulgence or excessive praise b: to pamper excessively : coddleintransitive verb1: to practice plunder and robbery2: to lose valuable or useful qualities usually as a result of decay spoiled>3: to have an eager desire <spoiling for a fight>

synonyms see decay, indulge

Just thought I'd post the meaning of the word spoiled.....we can say that we do lots of things for our children but to say you SPOIL them with material things is different. Please read the meaning of spoiled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)