Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 1 y old son is only in the 1% for weight..anyone else have this happen?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:02 PM
  • 33 Replies

My son has always been small. He was 5lbs 12oz at birth and never higher then the 15% for weight. At his 9month checkup he was 17lbs and in the 6th % and at his one yr check up on Wed. he was 18lbs 2 oz and in the 1%. The doctor ordered blood tests which put me son through lots of poking and said she'd call me. I called my aunt who is a pedi. and she said to give him sone pediasure a day, but keep it in moderation and also to keep pushing our food on him(he refuses to chew or eat adult food). Anyways, has anyone else's child been this low on the % chart? I'm worried but then again I'm not because he is only 29in and looks proportioned. This is him a month ago. Also, i told her that I thought he should be weighed again because they weighed him on a standing scale, but the dr didn't do it and instead said to come back in a month for a weight check.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Telesha
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:05 PM

lol, my son is 7 months and doesn't even hit the chart for weight. But he is a twin, was a month early and doc said he is healthy :)

TELESHASister group to "Cowgirl Club" Where Country mommas unite!

ProudArmyWife88
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:05 PM

If everything else is healthy I wouldnt be too worried. And plus he was small when he was born. I would try to get him to eat something but you cant force him. My doctor told me when his daughter was a 1 year she ate a portion the size of her palm and only once a day. He wasnt to worried. He said its because they get more stubborn and are to excited to eat. Even if they dont show it.

Wife to Thomas-June 3,2006

Mother to Kyla-December 23, 2006 & Marissa-October 22, 2008

in love

toddler girl  baby girl

Babylove135
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:07 PM

All my kids are on the bottom of the scale.  My DD didn't weigh 20 lbs until she was 2!  She is 4 now and just hit 30 lbs.

Come join our group where you can talk about whatever you want with no drama!!     www.cafemom.com/group/BusyB

BraydensMommy4

My son was also a preemie which is why I think that he is fine. He is healthy otherwise and thriving mentally and emotionally wonderfully. He is walking, talking, forming small sentences and such.

Quoting Telesha:

lol, my son is 7 months and doesn't even hit the chart for weight. But he is a twin, was a month early and doc said he is healthy :)

hfs1998

I'm dealing with this right now.  My son is 6 mos old.  He is .46% for weight.  He was 5 wks premature, but still.  He climbed as high as 8% but now we are back down to less than 1%.  I have to say I'm concerned and I'm not.  On the one hand, I would like him to chub up a bit and maintain his growth curve (which he has not) but on the other hand, he is hitting all the developmental milestones ahead of schedule and is very very active - definitely  not sickly.  In would be more concerned if he were my first, he is my third.  My older daughter was just like this except she started out at 85% and was at the 3% by one year.  She is one of the smaller kids in her class (there are two who are smaller) and is extremely active (sometimes I worry that she is a bit hyper).

How is your son's personality?  Is he constantly on the move, active and alert?  What does he eat?  What does he drink?

Rayven729

i cant help you hun im sorry, but my son is in the 101% and i didnt even know you could get any bigger than 100%. hugs

GinaHarris
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Well my one year old only weighs....18lbs 10oz....So is she too small too? She weighed 5lbs11oz at birth. 

devasmom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM

No, my kids have always been the opposite. They are off the charts for weight and height since birth. DS was 9lbs 10oz and DDwas 10lbs 2oz at birth.

Your son is a cutie!!

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

laurenangelle

My 1yr old was not a preemie and weighed 7lbs 15oz at birth and now only weighs 18lbs. The dr has no concerns at all about his weight b/c he is healthy. So I wouldnt worry.

BraydensMommy4

People say that my son has an amazing personality and that his size is the only reason you know that he is only one. He is extremely active. Walking and running. LoL he runs when he has something you already said No about. He is pointing and making hand movements like we do. He has been able to do pat-a-cake since about 5 months and the hand movements for Itsy Bitsy Spider since he was 9 months. He is talking. Says Mama, Dada, Papa, Baba, GuMa which is gma, Baby, No, DogDog, go, and bye bye. Said his first sentence the other day "Dada go byebye." Eats baby food, milk, pediasure and we are getting rid of the last of his formula.

Quoting hfs1998:

I'm dealing with this right now.  My son is 6 mos old.  He is .46% for weight.  He was 5 wks premature, but still.  He climbed as high as 8% but now we are back down to less than 1%.  I have to say I'm concerned and I'm not.  On the one hand, I would like him to chub up a bit and maintain his growth curve (which he has not) but on the other hand, he is hitting all the developmental milestones ahead of schedule and is very very active - definitely  not sickly.  In would be more concerned if he were my first, he is my third.  My older daughter was just like this except she started out at 85% and was at the 3% by one year.  She is one of the smaller kids in her class (there are two who are smaller) and is extremely active (sometimes I worry that she is a bit hyper).

How is your son's personality?  Is he constantly on the move, active and alert?  What does he eat?  What does he drink?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)