• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I send flowers (funeral ?)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I...

Options:

Send a small bouquet of flowers

Send a card

Do nothing. You didn't know him and he would not have recognized you on the street

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

My mom's sted-dad became her SD when she was 11. They were close until I was 1 (and mom was 28) and he left my grandma and remarried (several times, lol). He always treated me like his other grandchildred, sending gifts here and there and coming to an award ceremoney in High School with his bimbo of the month. He died in 2000 and I was sad, but I had only seen him 2-3 times in my adult life.

Anyways, one of his older brothers died yesterday. I only met Uncle Vernon 3 times at funerals (my grandpa and 2 of their other brothers). My mom thinks I should send flowers to the funeral. I think just a card to his wife, whom I have never met, would be more than enough. DH says why bother at all. What do you all think?

my-heart-belongs-to3

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:58 PM

It doesn't seem like you even know the man. Would his wife even know who a card was from?  

Kairi snowgirl

Lisa_729
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I personally wouldn't send flowers.  It sounds like you didn't know this uncle very well and weren't all that close to him.  My sugesstion is to do what feels right to you. 

kisseep
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I think a card would be nice. I lost my SO last year so I know that all prayers and well wishing is appreciated. She probably will appreciate the fact that you thought of her even if only for a moment.

aarkat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:06 PM

flowers just wilt...although cheery for a short while.  chances are she'll be overwhelmed with them.  then when the flowers shrivel up and she has to throw them out may get sad again.  just my view (and experience) with funeral flowers.

i personally think a card would be appropriate, but if you want to do more, maybe get a potted plant for her or make a donation in his memory to -an organization he would like, -or maybe his childhood school or...?

cstyle99
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I say its the thought that counts!  Find a lovely card, put a personl message inside and send! 

green ribbon~Mommy to Danielle Living with Kidney Disease & Suffering with Migraines~    

RendevouzDreams
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Yes just send flowers...I'm sorry for your lose 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)