• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong? *UPDATE UPDATE*

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM
  • 81 Replies

is is wrong to put a 2 yr old to bed without supper. Tonight I made pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn.....I figured she would not touch the mashed potatoes but pork chops and corn she has ate before. She jsut sat there and played with her food and threw it on the floor....would not eat it.

I have spoiled her roten I know this..most times I would fix her something else if she don't eat what I cooked..this is completely my fault. But I know she eats the pork chops and corn..she just didnt want it and kept saying cereal.

Now I just cleaned her up and put her in her bed...I feel terrible I am not sure if I did the right thing. I just need a minute to collect m y thoughts....what should I do?

I mean i know kids go to bed without dinner at older age but is 2 yr old to young? I really need help I feel terrible....please...

UPDATE::

Well I let her cry in her bed for about 30 min and went in there and asked her if she was ready to eat her corn and pork chops...she said yes...We went downstairs and she ate almost all her corn and not only all her pork chop but half of her daddys....i am so happy and even though it tore me up inside I think she needs this more often...my baby is spoiled and it is my fault but I can not afford to fix two meals every night.

Once she ate all her food she gobbled up some 100% fruit juice gummies as a reward! Thank you all for your advice!!!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi_val
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I'm bad that way too, I'll make something else if my son doesn't want what I make. The only reason I wouldn't put him to bed without dinner is because I wouldn't want to get up in the middle of the night to feed him. I know they have to learn though. 

Teespot

you know best...problem is that if you let her out now and gove her cereal she got away with it...my house I cooked the kids ate...they didn't like it then they didn't have to eat it but they did not get anything else....maybe i am too old for this now but my 3 kids 25-20-13 eat anything at least once....not picky at all...and yes they have gone to bed without dinner 

sabrinanaspen

i believe she has just reached that phase....aspen does that at times. she probably just ate too much earlier and was not hungry. she should eat good at breakfast time she will be ok mama

pricelesslove24

I dont see a problem with it. She may wake up during the night and ask for something to eat and if there are leftover i would offer her that again. and if she doesnt eat it then she must not be too hungry, my mama says when your hungry you will eat anything and i have found this to be true with my children 5yrs and 16mos

If your looking for support on your weight loss journey please feel free to stop by and join my group http://www.cafemom.com/group/survive09
Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I don't think its wrong. My son chose not to eat dinner tonight and I didn't make him anything else. He also isn't getting a snack before bed either. He usually eats whatever we make but for whatever reason he has chosen not to eat much of anything today.

Crystallynn
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM

IMHO- I would not put a 2 year old to bed without dinner.  Maybe she didnt want pork chops and corn...... I probably would have given her cereal if that is what she was asking for.  I am not one to make seperate supper for my kids, but at 2, they arent always going to understand "its this or nothing" logic that you might get away with on a 4 or 5 year old. 

Tae
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Is she even hungry? My son went through several growth spurts around that time, and some days he may not eat anything, and other days, I thought he would eat us out of house and homes. I think it is a little young, but if she wakes up in a few hours hungry, offer a few small bites of pork chop.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM

just tell her that if she gets hungry, her food is waiting.

Erna2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I am sorry to disagree with the other posters. I think she is way too young to go without supper. I know that a friend of mine works for SCF, and they consider it abusive. She says a child should never go hungry.. 

family in the van

jothra
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM

It may be a period where she isn't eating much. I think she is fine. My DS has done that in the past, especially if he had some snack.

For the one that said it's considered abuse, no, she provided food, her child just didn't eat. It is abusive to withold food as a punishment. It's a fine line, but it's there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)