Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does my preschool need the parents to buy so much?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am wondering if anyone elses preschools make the parents buy things such as beans for the bean table, paper cups, plates, etc, voluteer 2 times a month, manditory fundraisers with the minimum $100 or you have to pay $75 out of pocket if you choose not to do the fundraiser. I am so sick of all this stuff! I like the preschool but not all this crap that I am mentioning. I can just deal with it, but does anyone else know of preschools like this. I already have to pay $240 for each semester. It is a coop preschool if that helps.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM

$240 a semester is ridiculously cheap - probably the reason these things are mandator and have a high supply list.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Ours is $70 a month for two hakf days a week. We had to buy a few supplies, but not much. For parties and stuff we can supply stuff too.

oboe_chik
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I think thats kinda crappy...I could see bringing in a little but nothing like that. My DD goes to the preschool side of her daycare and the most I have ever brought in is scrap paper for the art center (all my old school papers lol...im sure the other parents are proud of how well I do lol) and plastic grocery bags that they use for a variety of things.

LeXisMoMMi04
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:18 PM

well i think that is pretty cheap if your wanting your child to go to a coop preschool

but my DD is in preschool.. public, and I had to spend about 50 bucks.. give and take..

I think that they do more arts in crafts which require more "stuff".. but yea. sounds cheap to me. i dunno tho. my dd will never go to a private school

mommybecky
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM

$240 per semester is a steal.  We pay $110 a month for 3 mornings a week.  We also have to supply things like plates, napkins, cups, crayons, etc.  We also do fundraisers (albeit not mandatory).  We even take turns bringing the snack, which has to include 2 food groups and a drink, plus napkins and cups.  Not to mention the $40 enrollment fee, and the $25 activity fee.

Mommy2LPK
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Thats what a co-op preschool is. The parents are involved with the teaching of the children.
The one my son will be starting is like this:
We have to pay a cleaning fee.
Come in twice a month to help with the class.
Raise over 200 hundred dollars in fundraisers for EACH child. I will have two in this school next yr! If you don't raise enough, you have to pay  whats left over.
Snack once a month
and of course the monthly fee!

Im sure there's more, just can't think of them off the top of my head!

Shylie
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I haven't had dealings with a coop. Ours are free and are integrated with the public school system. All parents have to do is provide birth certificate, immunizations, etc. and show up for a couple hours of volunteer time a week. It's great. The kids learn so much.

Sounds like a coop has lots to offer but lots to fork out for too.

Mommy2Jayson
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM

WOW!!! That is cheap. The preschool I have my son on a waiting list for is 75 a week for only 3 days a week. That's 300 a month... and what like 1200 a semester.. I am envious,  would buy some beans for that price

I AM A SINGLE 19 YEAR OLD MOMMY. I GO TO COLLEGE FULL TIME FOR CORRECTIONS. I WORK FULL TIME AT THE DEPARTMENT OF JOB AND FAMILY SERVICES. I AM A SURVIVOR OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND RAPE. I CO-SLEPT, VACCINANTED, DISPOSABLE DIPAERED AND FORMULA FED MY BEAUTIFUL ONE YEAR OLD SON JAYSON. HE IS HAPPY, HEALTHY AND WELL ADJUSTED TO HIS PERFECT LIFE. HE DOESN'T HAVE TWO PARENTS BUT HE HAS A MOMMY, 2 GRANDPARENTS, 3 AUNTS, 3 UNCLES, 7 COUSINS AND A WHOLE LOTTA LOVE! LIFE IS GOOD FOR US. AND THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS

Briklin
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

$240 a semester is ridiculously cheap - probably the reason these things are mandator and have a high supply list.

This.

jeni0323
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM

My daughters preschool is $225 A WEEK. She goes monday- friday 8am-3pm.

Are you pregnant with a baby boy due in May 2009! Come join my group Baby Boys due in May 2009!       http://www.cafemom.com/group/MayBoys2009
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)