Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black History month vs American history not a drama post!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey mommies this is something that I have been reading and hearing alot about do you think that "Black History Month" she be removed because of the president? Some people think that it should because of the strides that the country has made. I really think that there should be more in schools about black americans instead of just one month so mommies tell me what you think this isn't a drama post

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
katykay
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Our country has an ugly history of discrimination and regardless of who won in November much of what took place during the campaign showed that we still have a long way to go, so no Black History Month should not be done away with. 

MyJoieDeVivre
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I'll agree it needs to be integrated into regular year round American History. There are alot of wonderful African-Americans throughout history who have done great things and are not included. I think if that were done, then black history month should be discontinued IMO.  I'm all for equality.

MommyRivera
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I think our school systems should teach all history equally. Black history shouldn't just be kept to February. Our children should learn about all types of history....no matter which races it involves. 

*Ashlee* Mommy to Dallas, Gabriel, and my Peanut on the way!

mommy112005
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I am a history teacher. At my school I teach U.S History and only get to about the mid 1800s and late 1800s if im lucky. Our school has no problem with us going over the black history month thing and actually promotes us teaching it. We may have an ugly side to black history but I don't believe in putting a sugar coating on history. I tell it like it is. The kids don't like it they can leave. I take the entire month out and go over black history. We do some fun activities and the kids learn alot. So my answer to your question is I don't think that black history should be taken out of schools because of our president. I think they should actually do more to promote it because of him. Like some people above said, its a part of our history no matter how gory.  I really don't have alot of time to teach it in school because of our standards. If I had the time to I would definately divide it equally but it just isnt possible.

KaelensMommy06
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I don't feel that it should be taken out of the school either if anything I feel that it should be extended because from elementary all the way until I got to high school all I learned every February was about Rosa Parks Martin Luther King Malcolm X and sojourner Truth (spelling) ? Now these are good people but there are alot of other very important African Americans that students don't learn about unless you take a black history class and there are many schools that don't offer one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)