• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think of my birth plan? i need lots of opinions!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you make a birth plan? or do you plan on it?

Options:

yes i plan on it

yes i made one before

no i dont plan on it

no i never made one before

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

my main reasons for making a birth plan are that i am a teen parent, and i have been given a hard time by the hospital staff because of this. they dont ask me what i want or inform me of what is going on. i have a doula and she also suggested making a birth plan. i have a fear of medical type things so this helped calm my fear a lot also. if you actually read the birth plan almost everything in there is perfectly reasonable. the only thing i worry about is the cord pulsing part, and the APGAR test being done while she is on my chest. im not sure where you are from but in washington it is very common for women to make birth plans. i realise that not everything will go my way if there is a complication but i am 100% certain that i will get it my way if nothing unexpected happens with my daughter.

This is my birth plan that i am bringing to the hospital with me, its for the DR and the nurses that will be helping me with my labor and delivery, and post labor care. haha i sound so bossy! but everything i put in there is super important to me and theres a reason behind each request that benefits baby girl! if you have any questions about things i requested in my birth plan feel free to ask. i want to know what you think

02/07/2009

Please follow Natasha's birth plan unless a serious complication or emergency occurs in the birth of her daughter. Robert Alexander Huber is Natasha's birth partner and has say in the labor & delivery.

Sincerely,
Natasha Thompson

LABOR
I would like to be free to walk around during labor.

I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.

I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of
labor.

I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.

I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.

I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.

I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.

MONITORING
I do not want an internal monitor unless the baby has shown some sign of distress.

LABOR AUGMENTATION/INDUCTION
I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.

If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.

I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural
methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before pitocin is administered.

Before pitocin is administered I must express consent.

ANESTHESIA/PAIN MEDICATION
I would like to have a standard epidural.

CESAREAN
Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.

If my primary care provider determines that a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to obtain a second opinion from another physician if time allows.

If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.

I would like (coach) present at all times if the baby requires a Cesarean delivery.

So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of the baby.

If the baby is not in distress, the baby should be given to (coach) immediately after birth.

EPISIOTOMY
I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.

If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.

I would prefer an episiotomy rather than a tear.

I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.

DELIVERY
I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.

I would like (partner) and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.

I would like a mirror available so I can see the baby's head when it crowns.

I would like the chance to touch the baby's head when it crowns.

Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming the baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.

I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.

I would appreciate having the room as quiet as possible when the baby is born.

I would like to have the baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

I would appreciate being able to use the birthing tub for pain relief until I receive an epidural.

IMMEDIATELY AFTER DELIVERY
I would like to have Rob cut the cord.

I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.

I would like to hold the baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.

I would like to hold the baby for at least fifteen minutes before (he/she) is photographed, examined, etc.

I plan to keep the baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of the baby can be done with the baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.

If the baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, Rob or some other person I designate will accompany the baby at all times.

I would prefer to hold the baby rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.

I do not want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta unless I request it.

I would like to delay the eye medication for the baby until a couple hours after birth.

I would like to donate the umbilical cord blood if possible.

I would like to see the placenta after it is delivered.

I would like to bathe the baby with Rob first.

ALL medications and medical procedures administered to the baby or myself are to be fully explained and my consent must be expressed

I am to deliver the placenta, I do not want it ripped or pulled out, however I would welcome gentle assistance.

POSTPARTUM
I would like a private room, if available.

Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.

I would like to have the baby "room in" and be with me at all times.

BREASTFEEDING
I plan to breastfeed the baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.

Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to the baby (including glucose water or plain water).
I do not want the baby to be given a pacifier.

I would like more information about breastfeeding.

I would like to meet with a Lactation Consultant.

PHOTO/VIDEO
I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.

I would like to make a video recording of labor and/or the birth.

OTHER
My support people are Rob Huber and Marilyn Thompson and I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery.

I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth.

Everyone that takes part in my labor must be introduced to me.

No forceps unless Rob and I express consent.

All medication must be explained & approved by Rob and I.

Before being bathed, swaddled, or having her cord clamped/cut she is to come straight to my chest or to Rob's arms.

Expecting my baby girl April 9th 2009, with my husband to be\babys father, Full time nanny, PRO LIFE <3, Christian, Loving, Understanding, well-informed, educated, Teen mom

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oboe_chik
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Well the only thing that I really noticed is about a local anastetic in the case of an episitomy. If you have an epidural as you mentioned you really don't need a local for that because you won't feel anything.

But I would also check with your hospital and make sure all that is good with them. Some things like the IV some hospitals have policies against.

AmberDR
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:31 PM

It will be nearly impossible to change positions after your epi.

rockinmomof2boy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I think a birth plan is great and i did it with my 1st baby.  Let me tell you what happened.

I had these ideas of this wonderful delivery, the birth plan, just like you.  I went in to labor two months early.  My appendix ruptured and my baby was in NICu for 18 days.  I did not get to breast feed, I pumped for two months.

I was very upset and mad, that things did not go as I planed. 

Anyways, I have moved on, but I am telling you this so you can prepare for if things do not go as planed, because I did not and because I had this idyllic image in my mind I was very let down.

MommyRivera
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Sounds good, but just be prepared for the nurses or doctor not to follow it exactly. They will have a number of things on their minds plus other patients to monitor, so don't be angry if a nurse/doctor forgets something on the list.

Good luck with your baby! I can't wait to have mine! 

*Ashlee* Mommy to Dallas, Gabriel, and my Peanut on the way!

Tiffatoe
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I think it sounds good, the most important thing is that your baby is brought into this world healthy :)

As I have only had one hospital birth and it was a emergency c/s...I don't know for sure how things work, but if you had an epidural wouldn't you be unable to change position in either labor or delivery?

rockinmomof2boy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Also I only know this because of my sister, the umbilical cord pulsates because your babys heart is beating, so if they wait for it to stop pulsating it would be because your baby was dead, just a heads up, I know she felt like an idiot when she made that request to the dr and that is what he told her

LeXisMoMMi04

my thoughts as well.

and not to sound negative (Sorry if I do) but do you think that the doctor will actually remember all this stuff?  I guess I'm confused about some of the stuff you want.. such as the lights low... that will make it harder for the doc to see.. and could possibly be harmful. jmo

Quoting AmberDR:

It will be nearly impossible to change positions after your epi.

leahdanley

Wow, very well thought out birthing plan.  I can't think of anything to add.  I will say though that if you want the epidural they will make you get an iv and probably a foley(sp?) catheter. 

Tiffatoe
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM

No, the cord does stop pulsating...and it is common practice in birthing center and homebirths to wait until it does before cutting. That is what happened with my first three babies :)

http://baby.families.com/blog/cutting-the-cord

Quoting rockinmomof2boy:

Also I only know this because of my sister, the umbilical cord pulsates because your babys heart is beating, so if they wait for it to stop pulsating it would be because your baby was dead, just a heads up, I know she felt like an idiot when she made that request to the dr and that is what he told her

ChristinaR
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I would show your dr your plan and see what he thinks....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)