Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a Kindle?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

My StepMIL has had one and loves it.  For me, I've always been a "browse the aisles and grab a paperback" kind of girl.  I'm gradually learning to live at the library instead of the bookstore - SO much cheaper and earth-friendly. 

But anyway - they just came out with the Kindle 2.  And my SMIL HAS to have it.  My FIL won't let her (sadly, because it's her that actually earns the bucks - he's retired) buy it until she finds a home for her first Kindle.  So she's giving it to me... 

Will I like it?  Is it backlit?  Can I flip back for references to some obscure character that I've forgotten about?  Can I use it to read in a dark car without messing up DH's view as he drives?

How good is the book selection for it?  My book group often chooses old/obscure books...Don Delillo, Jack London, etc.

How does it work bookwise?  How do I get books on/off it and how do I pay for them?

Thanks for any and all info you can give me...

Peace,

Kat

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
WildKat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM

NO one???

lighthouse112
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I'm not exactly sure what a Kindle is.

WildKat
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:08 PM

It's one of those things you download books onto and read them from.  It's electronic. 

Quoting lighthouse112:

lighthouse112
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:17 PM

oh ok that makes sense!!!

Quoting WildKat:

It's one of those things you download books onto and read them from.  It's electronic. 

Quoting lighthouse112:

kaliamom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:26 PM
I have one and I love it! I am an avid book reader. My dh bought it for me for Christmas. It's not backlit so you'll need a reading light. The print is nice and easy to read. You can change the size of the type if you want. You'll need an amazon account in order to buy books online. It's free to sign up at amazon and you'll just need to give them a credit card # for the purchases. You can either buy books online or you can do it by connecting through your Kindle. It's really easy and super fast. I love it because I can pre-buy new books and they download as soon as they are out. (No going to the store and hoping that they aren't sold out). It's nice to travel with too. If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer them. :) Edited to add... the book selection is good. I think they have like 200,000 books available. You should have no problems finding Jack London, etc.. You can always go to amazon and browse the selection they have.
figgz
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:35 PM
I don't have a Kindle yet, but I'm pretty sure anything you can buy @amazon.com you can download.
Meli55a2001
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I don't have the Kindle but I have the Sony Reader and I love it.  I won't be able to help you out with the Kindle, just give you info about the Sony.  My mom got it for me for Christmas.  I love to read and it makes it much easier to read those big, bulky hardcovers.  Right now with Sony, if you purchase a Reader before March 31, you can download up to 100 free classics.  You probably will need to enter in a credit card for your first purchase.  With my book, after I've chosen the one I want, it tells me that I've purchased the book and I don't need to give the credit card info every time.  I've only read the instructions to learn about the basics.  Overall I'm very pleased with it.  Sorry if I didn't help you but good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy the Kindle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)