• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old...hurt wrist. ER or wait? ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:11 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son broke his left arm in Sept. It is all healed now etc. Last night I was out of town and my brother babysat. My son calls me HYSTERICAL saying his wrist hurts. My brother doesn't see anything wrong with it, can't think of what he might have done to it. Well I get home look at it it seems fine. Well tonight it's swollen and he ASKED for an ice pack...actually asked for it, sat down and was still and used it (that's huge for him he can't sit still!) so I have been watching him without letting him know I'm watching him....he is holding his wrist, supporting it when he walks around etc. I don't know if I should take him in or what? I don't think it's broken because he doesn't scream bloody murder when I move it just says "ow ow ow"...not sure if I should wait or take him in??? Could it be from the weather changing since he broke that arm a few months ago? (but he didn't break his wrist he broke right above the elbow)

WELL AFTER THE DOC ON CALL LAST NIGHT TOLD ME IT DIDN'T SOUND LIKE HE NEEDED TO GO IN TO THE ER I TOOK HIM IN TO HIS DOCTOR TODAY. AND XRAY SHOWS.....A COMPRESSION FRACTURE! HIS CAST IS BLUE....

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kays_Mama06
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:16 PM

If its pulled tendons or anything like that you wouldnt be able to see it..

I would take him in just in case.  

dorky_goddess
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I'd take him to the E.R., if I were you.  I'm no expert, but swelling can never be good, and there may be some soft tissue damage.  Couldn't hurt to have an x-ray.  Hope he feels better.

pregnant
KellyChristal
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I would take him...my dd fell and wasnt acting right but the clinic said it was nothing w/o doing an xray...so I assumed nothing was wrong.  Well 7 days later she was still in pain, so I insisted on an xray and sure enough she broke her collarbone.  I felt so guilty for not insisting on an xray the first time.  It is better to be safe than sorry...I would hate to have the baby in pain and play it off as nothing, when it is something.  Keep us updated, and good luck!

I am a 30 year old motherless mother, who has a 3 year old princess and a two year old devil, who has been touched by suicide and breast cancer, who got married at 19 and is still married to the same man 11 years later, who is a Certified Texas Teacher but stays at home now, who has Anklosing Spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease, who is a non-church going Christian, that knows it is important to live in the now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Oh, and for some reason I collect giraffes!

mommalyon66
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I would take him in just to be sure...  

mindyannjohnson
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM

If he is holding his wrist, he needs to go to the ER. I have broken my wrist 3 times before. Everytime I broke it, I held onto it for support. It also went numb at first until the pain started. (The adrenaline kicks in right away).

My last break was about 3 years ago when I slipped and fell on a wet floor at home. I landed on my wrist backwards. The fall was so bad, it broke my watch. I ended up breaking my wrist in 3 places AND spraining it! The ER thought I would have to have surgery but thankfully, I didn't.

I HIGHLY recommend going to the ER, especially if it's hurting him and he's holding his wrist. Maybe he just sprained it, but it's better to play it safe!

whereismom

definitly take him in to have it looked at and xrayed- sprains also swell but it is best to have a Dr. see him to give the right diagnosis.

Disneymom1218

I would take him right away even if it is just a sprain they can wrap it for hima nd give him more support so he won't be holding it. Good luck with that.

mygirlKyra

I would take him.  It could be broken.  I broke my wrist when I was about 7-8 I would hold it and when someone else would touch it I wouldn't scream or anything, I would only say owie. If he is asking for an ice pack and actually using it, I'd say yes to the ER

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I'd take him to the ER - my daughter hurt her wrist shortly before her 2nd bday and it turned out she had a buckle fracture between her wrist and elbow. It's better to be safe. 

Leni - Wife, Mom and NASCAR Fan

ShawnaH2005
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM

My son was about 3 and fell. Well he cried for a few minutes then proceeded to wrestle with his dad. I thought he was fine then he started complaining the next day wouldnt use it, woke up at night crying that it hurt. So I took him to the er and his wrist was broken. I would have it checked out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)