Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate my bank

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have two account at my bank. One is My account, the other is joint with my husband. our joint account has never had a check or debit card attached to it. so it does'nt have overdraft issues. only 2 or 3 times due to automatic payments trying to come out before we thought they were supposed to. MY account is overdrafted by 510 dollars thanks to my husband. we wanted to pay them back with my school check or our tax return But DID intend to pay them back this month. I went to go cash my school check and they woudn't let me. said i could deposit it and have a 10 day hold THEN pay them back THEN get my money. Doesn't work because I had to buy a vehicle today, my husbands truck died and we can't do it with just one vehicle. so we went and found sometplace that would cash it for 80. which sucked, but it was a 2900 check, and the only other place that would do it wanted to cahrge 280. So i go to cash my $266 paycheck and they won't do it. Normally my paychecks are over 350. i had 150 in my account and i normally have less than 5. they decided that from now on until i pay my other account off that they won't cash checks. okay. whatever. i'll just deposit it and trasfer it over, since it does'nt matter if i pay half today and half next week or just do it all next week. they say no. they won't take any cehcks from me at all until it's paid off. Hello?!? Pay check. never ever had a problem. and they won't even let me Deposit it!? what the hell? how can i pay them off if they won't take my money? hm. doesn't make sense. basically they expect me to go Pay to have it cashed somewhere else and then go take my money to them. sorry, but i'm not exactly going to be in a rush to spend the gas to run all over town just to go cash it and then go back to their side of town to give them money. makes me so mad. has anyone else ever had a bank say they won't even Deposit your Paycheck that they have NEVER had come back in 1.5 Yrs!? basically as soon as we get our tax return we're going to pay the bank off and close our accounts there. that's bull. and they'll get some feedback from us, and it's a small bank, so word of mouth makes a difference here. sure, there are still going to be plenty of people banking there, but that's at least a few more that won't. my boss banks there too and after hearing what we're going through he doesn't want to deal with them. he has two banks and is going to just go use the other one and close out that account. and he keeps several thousands of dollars in taht account. banks LIKE when you keep high balances with them. ugh. i know, i'm just one person and i Doubt this happens to many others and i'm not thinking my complaints will have any massive effect on them. but it still makes me so mad. it makes NO sense. they tried tos ay they didn't know i had two accounts. when that's BULL. they've known because each time I go in they would ask if i was able to make a payment on the other and i'd tell them that i'm just waiting on my tax return. the manager knew because she TOLD me she was willing to cash paychecks but not such a large check for 2900 til my other account was clear. her boss's boss LIED to my husband and told him that if we went and cashed my check and paid off the 510 we could have it the same day. then when i went up there i had to ASK and That's when they admitted no, they were going to put it on a 10 day hold AND automatically take the 510 our of my account before we could have the other funds. hello? worse than before! before it was JUST a 10 day hold but i could have had it all back. now since i dind't go for that idea they won't let me use my account. i have to go up tomorrow and see if they're going to try to freeze my account and hold the money i have in my account or if they'll let me take it out. if so i'l goimg to pay my phone bill and they can screw off and wait until i get my tax return in 2 weeks before i give them any money. gr.

thanks for listening to my vent. i totally hate that they're so stupid as to NOT see that what they're doing makes NO sense. i can't afford to keep paying check cashing fees and still pay them back. we arn't refusing to pay them, just saying we need to cash or deposit a check so we can get the money to pay them WITH. stupid people.

**edit** sorry so long! thanks for reading this far. I wrote the bank CEO an email since they had an email listed for him on their website, but no reply yet. That's to be expected. I don't expect them to just Cash my check, but i want to know why they won't deposit a paycheck that has Never Once been returned in order to pay the balance.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
zianneaaliyah
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Sorry you're going through this, but as long as your account is in the negative, ALL banks are going to treat you like a piece of shit.

SandraRh
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:34 PM

don't you have a walmart?  Their check cashing is REALLY cheap.  We too have had an issue with a bank.  Though this was our fault (we had an unexpected bill and I didn't check the account to make sure we had enough!  Totally my fault.  Bad thing was though that the big check went through and then a ton of LITTLE things went through after it.  Like I hate being charged 30$ for DH stopping at a gas station for a 1.30$ tab!  UGH!)  Anyway totally sucked.  But we were lucky and they did take away all the over draft charges but one. 

But I agree you bank is being asinine!  If you've been a loyal good customer then there should be a OOPS!  if not then I wouldn't do business with them.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker
kandycain
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I Know that banks aren't going to be happy about you being in the negative. The PROBLEM is that I TOLD them I wanted to PAY it off. and they Refused to take my check. NOT a personal check, but a business check that had Not had a problem in the past. I Totally understand the whole not wanting to just cash it outright til it was paid, but to not even deposit it and take care of the balance? it's crazy.

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

Sorry you're going through this, but as long as your account is in the negative, ALL banks are going to treat you like a piece of shit.

zianneaaliyah
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM

It all depends on why your account is in the negative.  If it's in the negative because of bounced  checks, then I see why they might just want cash.  They rather another bank take the risk since they already did.

Quoting kandycain:

I Know that banks aren't going to be happy about you being in the negative. The PROBLEM is that I TOLD them I wanted to PAY it off. and they Refused to take my check. NOT a personal check, but a business check that had Not had a problem in the past. I Totally understand the whole not wanting to just cash it outright til it was paid, but to not even deposit it and take care of the balance? it's crazy.

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

petersgal
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I hate to tell you this but all banks are going to be like that with a negative balance.  Sorry you are going through this!  Word of caution... you will want to get it paid off ASAP b/c if you don't, and they charge it off, they will put you on a system called ChexSystems, and you won't be able to open a bank account ANYWHERE.  Once you are on it, it's a pain in the rear to get it resolved and have them put a note on your account saying the matter is resolved.

I used to work for a couple banks and I saw it happen all the time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)