Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NOPE, not mumps! (UPDATE IN GREEN)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM
  • 17 Replies

Has anyone ever had a small child with the mumps? Just wondering because my 4 yr old dd has had what we think is a bad toothache (with a swollen cheek) for a few days and her dentist is closed til Monday, but another dentist called in a prescription for penicillan for her (without seeing her.) He just said it sounds like an infection and she should take that and see her regular dentist on Mon. Well, tonight my MIL called me and said her mother asked if we were sure she doesn't have mumps? I looked it up and a few of the symptoms are things she has complained of. I am alternating Tylenol and Motrin plus giving her the antibiotic. Earlier tonight, she cried for the better part of 2 hours:( She is FINALLY sleeping now. But, I just wondered if any of you have had any experience with mumps??? She was sick last week with a fever, etc. I just wish I could help her!!! It breaks my heart to see her in so much pain:(

Well, my little Anna is still dealing with this!!! She saw her dentist, but he was unable to take an x-ray because she couldn't open her mouth wide enough. He prescribed Tylenol with Codeine for the pain, but it doesn't even help much!!! The penicillin STILL has not done anything! The dentist called me back himself this morning and said it didn't look like an abcess but that didn't mean it isn't. He wants her to see her doctor too. She is going to her doctor in the morning. Everyone keeps saying that kids don't get the mumps anymore, but I just found out today that there was a confirmed case reported at a middle school right down the street from us!!!  It is very contagious, so she could have walked past that child at the grocery store or anything. She was vaccinated just last month, but we will see what the doctor says tomorrow. Thanks for reading this, if you got this far! Please pray for my daughter!!!  It has been 7 days now!

Hello to everyone who has been reading my story. We took Anna to the dr today and she does not think it's the mumps! It is def some kind of infection in her glands, but she sent us to the lab to do a blood test. In the mean time, she gave us a new antibiotic to try. Something called sulfatrim (salmon liquid is what it says on the side of the bottle!) She HATES taking it as much as she hated the penicillin:( This one is only twice a day though. So, we will know more when the dr gets the blood test results in a few days. I would like to ask that you keep praying for her to get better FAST!  Thank you all!

Well, tonight her cheek has more like a "lump". Still VERY swollen and it's now hard as a rock! I am going to call the dr back tomorrow morning to see if I should be as worried as I am. I have freaked myself out by reading about mouth cancer!!! She is too little to be going through all of this:( She only weighs 33 lbs.

Ok, it's been awhile since I updated you all. It was a busy week. Her blood tests didn't show anything, except that her white blood cell count was high. So, last Friday afternoon we just took her to the ER at our local children's hospital. Turned out, she had to have emergency surgery that night!!! She had a big abscess:( She spent 4 nights in the hospital, in ICU---because she had a breathing tube, etc. She is fine now THANK GOD! Where they made the small incisions to drain the abscess has almost healed. We have to go for a follow up appt with the surgeon on Tuesday.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IloveHayden08
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:33 PM

we did she have the mumps vax??

LdyGenieve
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Quoting IloveHayden08:

Ditto!

momofgirls63
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Yes, she just had the latest one at her check up last month. My MIL informed me that you can still get them, even if you've been vaccinated...she had them herself after being vaccinated.

Quoting IloveHayden08:

IloveHayden08
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Why dont you call your doctors office??? they should have a after hours nurse there or to call you back. Or go to the hospital!!!

Quoting momofgirls63:

Yes, she just had the latest one at her check up last month. My MIL informed me that you can still get them, even if you've been vaccinated...she had them herself after being vaccinated.

Quoting IloveHayden08:

momofgirls63
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Well, I may end up taking her to a clinic tomorrow if nothing else. Hubby says "you don't need to go to the er for a swollen cheek". He is off tomorrow, so I'll let him see how she is by then.

Quoting IloveHayden08:

Why dont you call your doctors office??? they should have a after hours nurse there or to call you back. Or go to the hospital!!!

Quoting momofgirls63:

Quoting IloveHayden08:

Beyondthesky37
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Yeah, you can still get it even if vaccinated.  My son got chicken pox and had been vaccinated.  I would call the doctor.

Landon 3-15-05        Xander 5-16-06      Jadzia 9-25-07

tab9344
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:57 PM

A few weeks ago, I thought that my son had the mumps because he had hard nots under his ears & face was kind of fatter, so I took him to the ped on Saturday, well, apparently kids don't get the mumps any more he said its been like 10-12 years don't remember which one,( but I thought that you still could get them IDK I'm not a doct)  He had an infection and thats how his body reacted to it. He had the mumps vac, & I see that your child did too. Hope she feels better

IloveHayden08
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Keep us updated!!!

cdnmom24
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I had mumps when I was 10, and it was horrible. It feels like a constant ear and tooth ache. I had to stay at my grandma's house the whole time I had it. It is very contagious.

Cases of mumps may start with a fever of up to 103° Fahrenheit (39.4° Celsius), as well as a headache and loss of appetite. The well-known hallmark of mumps is swelling and pain in the parotid glands, making the child look like a hamster with food in its cheeks. The glands usually become increasingly swollen and painful over a period of 1 to 3 days. The pain gets worse when the child swallows, talks, chews, or drinks acidic juices (like orange juice).

The mumps virus is contagious and spreads in tiny drops of fluid from the mouth and nose of someone who is infected. It can be passed to others through sneezing, coughing, or even laughing. The virus can also spread to other people through direct contact, such as picking up tissues or using drinking glasses that have been used by the infected person.

People who have mumps are most contagious from 2 days before symptoms begin to 6 days after they end. The virus can also spread from people who are infected but have no symptoms.

If you think that your child has mumps, call your doctor, who can confirm the diagnosis and work with you to monitor your child's progress and watch for any complications. The doctor can also notify the health authorities who keep track of childhood immunization programs and mumps outbreaks.

Because mumps is caused by a virus, it cannot be treated with antibiotics.

At home, monitor and keep track of your child's temperature. You can use nonaspirin fever medications such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen to bring down a fever. These medicines will also help relieve pain in the swollen parotid glands. Unless instructed by your child's doctor, aspirin should not be used in children with viral illnesses because the use of aspirin in such cases has been associated with the development of Reye syndrome, which can lead to liver failure and death.

You can also soothe your child's swollen parotid glands with either warm or cold packs. Serve a soft, bland diet that does not require a lot of chewing and encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids. Avoid serving tart or acidic fruit juices (like orange juice, grapefruit juice, or lemonade) that make parotid pain worse. Water, decaffeinated soft drinks, and tea are better tolerated.

Because mumps can also involve the brain and its membranes, call the doctor immediately if your child has any of the following: stiff neck, convulsions (seizures), extreme drowsiness, severe headache, or changes of consciousness. Watch for abdominal pain that can mean involvement of the pancreas in either sex or involvement of the ovaries in girls.

momofgirls63
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)