Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting to realize I may just be WAY TOO UPTIGHT with my children

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:34 PM
  • 25 Replies

Ok so my hubby is out of town (Vegas Baby) for the last 2 weeks working. Which leaves me at home ALONE with 4 children ages 7, 5 and 1 year old twins (that are more like 9 months) anywho after a day from hell I've just been thinkin'. Is it me? . . . Am I waaay too uptight and that's why I have so much conflict with my children. For example  . . . Do you guys allow children to climb on furniture ie: couches, loveseat, coffee tables mine seem to want to bounce and jump on them constantly mainly my 5 year old but my 7 year old likes to do flips off the back. DRIVES ME NUTS! and I'm constantly on them about it . . . Maybe I should just let it go and not care anymore let my children run wild and we can all join a cirucus better yet we won't need to go to the zoo because we will be living in one! What od you all think? My other frustration and this is a big one is constantly finding choking hazzards in the living room where the twins are most of the time crawling and cruising. Seems like atleast once an hour I have to pull something out of their hand or mouth Im so sick of it. I just can't seem to get my point accross to the older kids that they arent' allowed to have anything in the LR ANYMORE!!!  The older kids contstantly fight I'm at my wits end. I JUST NEED A BREAK!!!! I think I'm gonna hire a sitter once they are all asleep and go hang out for some adult time for a couple of hours, maybe enjoy a glass of wine or 2 or 3 or maybe a bottle. Who knows!! My hubby won't be home for atleast 4 more days!!!  I know most of this is attention seeking behavior but I can't just ignore the needs of the twins. It's just that 3:00 - 9:00 everyday are so hellish with cooking dinner, eating, clean up, baths, stories, brush teeth, jammies, bottles, sippy cups of milk etc, et c TIMES 4 and while trying to keep the older 2 from killing one another!!!!  ALL bymyself. Gotta love my crazy life!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elvir2babes
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:35 PM

bump

Divorced, Separated, Single or Widowed Moms! Check out this awesome group!! http://www.cafemom.com/group/ConfidentSingleMoms

xanayda
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM

i wouldn't call you up tight... my daughter is 3 and she doesn't really climb on things but when she gets "daring" she will start jumping off of the sofa or bed... i'll tell her once or twice and she'll stop or it's time out... good luck!

mama_andrea
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM

To be honest with you, I let my 1 and almost 3 year old play on the couch (with supervision, of course).  In my opinion, they're just going to do it anyway - why not make it fun for them and keep them in check if they start getting to rough, ya know?  It would be a lot less stress on you, that's for sure!

spellingisGOOD.gif picture by jferstokhilarious.gif hilarious image by amy_the_fox

luvmybabies04
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I am right there with ya.  I have a 7 year old and 21 month old twins and there are some days that I just feel like I do nothing but get frustrated, like I am constantly telling them not to do something.  And no I do not let my children climb on the furniture and such.  Drives me crazy.  Maybe I am too harsh too...hmmmm...

But you are not alone...you at least have me lol 

ebbierowe
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Eh....I am probably not the best one to give you advice....there are days that I let my two run wild....so days I run with them some days I don't....

I will say though at some point you gotta let them hurt themselves....of course I am not saying you should let them just run unsupervised...

american flag ribbon 
Kisser of Boo-Boos, Maker of Cupcakes, Planner of Parties, Chauffer of Child Stars, Giver of Hugs, Defender of Sweet Dreams and the completely exhausted Mommy of Asia and Roman

Tummy Trouble??? http://www.cafemom.com/group/85015

listening to tunes           baseball
Asia Briana             Roman Anthony
8-1-97                        6-27-01

Reagan06
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I hope you have someone who lives around you that you could drop your two oldest with for a couple of hours so you could come home and rest a little, maybe during the babies nap time.  I am sorry you are so overwhelmed right now.  It's hard to do it by yourself.  I would try playdough at the kitchen table for the two oldest while you are making dinner.  That might keep them off the couch.  Tell them to make a copy of the dinner your making, make it a game.  I am sorry I really don't know.  Good luck & hope hubby is thankful for you :)

Roya-LPain
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Well no I wouldnt call you uptight either, you dont want them to think its ok to go to a friends house and do that so I get it, There are things my kids know "we only do that at OUR house" (jumping on the couch was a losing battle so we got a mini trampoline for outside)

My SIL shes uptight, she wont let her 6 year old watch all of the little mermaid because Ursula is too scary...

Really???

haha dont feel bad...

ttc   baseball   girl on a swing

Azareth & Roya          Lex                 Elena

sweetness4u2day
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM

For the older two this worked great with my boys.  Take a ring and make them stand in the corner for however many years they are old and they stay there until they complete their required minutes.  Their safety is priority and jumping off furniture is not safe.  As far as making dinner and getting everyone settled in for the night perhaps you could have the older ones help out.  Give them a reward for playing quiet with the twins while you cook dinner.  Let them pick out meals for dinner and have who ever picked it out help cook it.  Good luck.

Magpie75
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:44 PM

It really does get easier when they are older I promise!  I am fairly strict.  The kids are not allowd to jump on the furniture, they are not allowed to run in the house and they must use their inside voice.  Now that they are 5-14 life is pretty easy around here.  

momofgirls63
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I don't know how you do it! I can barely handle 2 kids!!! Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)