Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GRR! I need to get her a shirt that says, " I have autism! leave me alone!"

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:03 PM
  • 39 Replies

So I took my DD with high functioning autism to the children's museum today and she did great!  She has come so far and a year ago this a trip we could not have taken without her melting down or clinging to me.   Therapy has done so much for her.  She gets a little anxious in large social situations and has social avoidance with other kids.  So basically she just plays by herself and if a kid comes near her she either leaves quickly or just does her own thing and does not interact with them.  Last year she would not even be okay playing by them.  So, I was so happy and proud of her today!  Playing by other kids is a BIG deal for her.  And her big issue is that she HATES to be touched by people she is not familiar with and even with us she still often does not like it. 

So, now to the needing the shirt part.  Toward the end of our trip Lilly was playing on the play structure shooting balls out of a air cannon all by herself.  She had a bag of balls she had collected and was putting them it and shooting them out.  There were 4 other spots with the same cannons by her.  Well they were all being used.  And so when a boy about 3 yrs old came up and wanted to play, his mom told him to ask one of the kids to share.  Well of course I saw hm going toward  to my Lilly.  And knowing how it was gonna go, I quickly turned to the mom and said," My Lilly (and pointed to her) is probably not going to be a good choice for sharing she has some spacial issues and does not like to be touched."  I said "You might want to advise him to try with someone else".  And the Mom looked at me disgustedly and said, "Well she needs to learn than doesn't she?"  To which I calmly said, " We are working on it, and she has come a long way but she is not there yet"  To which she said, "So my kid has to pay for your bad parenting"  I was pissed, but just took a deep breath and decided not to comment. 

Well as I expected as this stupid conversation was finishing the little boy asked Lilly to share to which she just looked at her feet and did not answer.  Then he decided to yell it at her and tap her shoulder repeatedly  and say loudly "Did you hear me?"  And of course I knew what was gonna happen so I was on my way up the play structure when my Lilly pushed the boy hard and yelled, "leave me lone, leave me lone " put her hands over her ears and then  started rocking.  So I had to calm her down and then once I did I talked her about how she needs to use her words and not push even if someone does something she does not like.  Then after she was calm I went down the structure and Lilly went back to balls.  So when I got down of course the mom consoling her son was pissed.  I apologized and said she really just has trouble with being touched or yelled at because she is autistic.  To which the mom went off on a rant and told me that she could not believe I let her stay up there after she pushed her son and did not give her any consequences or make her apologize.  So i calmed explained that she does not understan consequences like time outs and that she WILL not talk to other kids so asking her to apologize is not appropriate.  I told her I talked to her about using her words and will continue to talk to her about it after we leave and for her that that was the best way to get through.  Then the lady said, "well autism or not my kid would learn discipline."  By this point I was so done!  I looked at her and said, "Well when you have a kid with autism live with it day in and day out then I will take parenting advice from you, until then shut your mouth when you do not know what you are talking about!"  Then I left her with those words and went to go play with Lilly on the play structure! 

I HATE people with no tolerance or understanding for other people or kids who are different!  Sadly I am so used to this stuff that I let it roll off and enjoyed the rest of the time and forgot about her and ignored her dirty looks.  But, know sitting here thinking of it, it really pisses me off! GRRRRR!  Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!

Kelly

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Laceymom08
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I'm sorry mommahugs

momof2little1s
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Thanks!

Quoting Laceymom08:

I'm sorry mommahugs

MommyLoca
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM

wow what a rude b**tch. She was igornant and way out of line !!!

hugs

CeciliaLyon
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM

BIG HUGS mamma.. you keep being a wonderful advocate for your darling Lily and let idiots be idiots.. way to go... clapping

Wife to Kelly ~~ Mother to Tina, Shelie, Masao, Kelsey and Nickolas Grandmother to Ashley, Merriah, Michael, Kilynn, Kiailah, Gabriella, Kiana & Breena.

Patricks_mom1
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I am sorry to hear about that.

MommyNLove797
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I am so sorry for you to have to have gone through this but I commend you on trying numerous times to try and explain. That bitch didn't deserve any explanation....

SaMaNtHa ~ MoThEr To JaYdA & cArTeR; WiFe To MiChAeL

lrj42685
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Ya know some people are just plain ignorant... there is no way around it or a nice way to put it just plain ignorant and happy being that way. Its really disgusting. It sounds like you are making tremendous strides with your daughter. I wished that hadnt happened to ya'll but it would be foolish to think you wouldnt run in to it again for that I am sorry

momof2little1s
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Thanks! What makes me sad and frusterated is that I even have to bring the autism thing up.  If someone told me their kid has spacial issues I would respect it.  I also worry about when she is older and I can not be there all the time to stand up for her.  My hope is by then she will be able to stand up for herslf, but she might not happen.

Quoting CeciliaLyon:

BIG HUGS mamma.. you keep being a wonderful advocate for your darling Lily and let idiots be idiots.. way to go... clapping

squidlife4me
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM

well mama.. I think you should have told her look lady I warned you!! You told her that her daughter may not have been the best choice.... maybe next time she will listen to another mama!

Hugs to you and congrats for bringin your dd to a HUGE HUGE milestone and being able to go to the museum and continue playing after this happened!!

tonisalex
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Sorry about your day momma. I understand it is hard. I have a son with autisum. It gets hard. Keep up the great work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)