• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The 20/20 story Children of the Mountains-Info on how you can help

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

Did any of you ladies see the story 20/20 did tonight.It was about the poverty of the Appalchain Hills.My god it was so sad to see so many people in our own country living worse than most 3rd world countries.It really made me stop and think,why do we send our money overseas to help people when were not even helping our own.If you guys want to know more about the show go to www.20-20.com.  They have the whole story there.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SkysMom3808
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM

This broke my heart!! There are families worse off than the ones they showed in these areas, and its Not just KY.  Keep in mind though not EVERYONE in these areas are like this!!

copperswifey
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I have always wondered that. They have had shows on inner city kids in America that live with rats and no running water, power, holes in the ceiling. I wish I had enough money and I would love to help them all out. It's sad =(

mom2five929
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM

That one kid who slept in his car just to escape his own family broke my heart.That kid is a trooper.I wish he could have gone to college but he did what he had to do just to be the first in his family with a high school diploma.He is an amazing young man.

mom2five929
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM

TO HELP CAP HELP THE CHILDREN FEATURED IN "A HIDDEN AMERICA: CHILDREN OF THE MOUNTAINS," OR CALL 1-877-919-9901 or 1-866-270-4227.

Ali_Colio
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Bump so I can watch it in a few.

mom2five929
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Kids First Dental: Dr. Edwin Smith's dental van currently provides school-based dental services to children in 16 eastern Kentucky counties.
Phone: 606-546-7410

The UNITE Foundation: Founded in 2003, Operation UNITE (Unlawful Narcotics Investigations, Treatment and Education) is a law enforcement and education initiative that works to combat substance abuse in Eastern Kentucky, including in Appalachia. The UNITE Foundation accepts individual and corporate donations to sustain its various programs and services, including assistance to children and families dealing with substance abuse.

Mud Creek Clinic: Part of Big Sandy Health Care, Inc. Community Care Fund and based in Floyd County, Ky., donations to the clinic help support important programs, such as cancer screenings, childhood dental health projects, childhood immunizations, diabetes treatment and prenatal care. The organization's Eula Hall Scholarship Fund provides financial assistance for area students pursuing careers in health care or social services, and the Eula Hall Patient Assistance Fund covers health care costs for uninsured or indigent patients.
Phone: 606-587-2200 or 606-886-8546

Other Organizations Helping Families in the Region:

Appalachian Regional Healthcare Foundation: The Appalachian Regional Healthcare Foundation (ARH) offers technology and healthcare serivces, working to address the growing healthcare needs in communities that traditionally rank lower than average in major health statistics.
Phone: 606-487-7566

Appalachian Region Missions: The Appalachian Region Missions works with volunteers to provide services to low-income families in eight counties of eastern Kentucky. Its mission is "to assist the neediest of the needy," distributing food, clothing, school supplies and everyday items.
Phone: 901-794-1971

Appalachia Service Project: Appalachia Service Project (ASP) works to address the housing needs of central Appalachia. According to its Web site, each year 15,000 volunteers repair homes for 400-500 low-income families in the region's rural areas. ASP encourages volunteers to travel to Appalachia to help with home repairs.
Phone: 423-854-8800

Cowen Creek Community Center & Music School: The mission of Cowan Community Action Group, Inc. is to provide educational, social, cultural and recreational experiences for the entire community in order to strengthen and sustain a wholesome and healthy lifestyle that encourages intergenerational relationships.
Phone: 606-633-3187

Computers for Kids: Computers 4 Kids (C4K) is an innovative project that brings together public and private partners to help disadvantaged children and their families join the Information Age. This is accomplished by placing computers in the hands of disadvantaged populations so that they have access to abundant technological resources and can perform basic computing functions.
Phone: 434-817-1121

Robinson Scholars: Robinson Scholars is a scholarship program for first-generation eastern Kentuckians trying to go to college.
Phone: 859-257-5874

WvPhotobug
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I missed the show, but I can imagine exactly how these kids are living. Actually, I dont have to imagine. I can get into my car and drive 20 minutes up a holler, to where clouds surround your feet, and there are houses with no windows, no running water, no electricity. People literally grow their own food. I doubt the children are being educated in any way. It's so sad. It's like they are almost forgotten. In most cases, they just stay there, as they are unaware of any other life. It truly breaks my heart. I think I'm going to go watch online.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I did see it and it was sad.  I was in tears a couple different times.  It's hard to imagine that that is in the United States.  I think it hit me how bad it really is when the doctor from India said that those places were much, much worse than where he was from in India.  I wish I could do something to help!  It's disheartening!  It was good to see that most of them were really trying to break the cycle and do something for themselves.  It really seems like the kids don't want to be like their parents and the rest of their families!!!

mamaoftwins9197
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Those doctors and dentists are true heros!!!  Without them, those people would have less than they do and that's hard to imagine!!!

Quoting mom2five929:

Kids First Dental: Dr. Edwin Smith's dental van currently provides school-based dental services to children in 16 eastern Kentucky counties.
Phone: 606-546-7410

The UNITE Foundation: Founded in 2003, Operation UNITE (Unlawful Narcotics Investigations, Treatment and Education) is a law enforcement and education initiative that works to combat substance abuse in Eastern Kentucky, including in Appalachia. The UNITE Foundation accepts individual and corporate donations to sustain its various programs and services, including assistance to children and families dealing with substance abuse.

Mud Creek Clinic: Part of Big Sandy Health Care, Inc. Community Care Fund and based in Floyd County, Ky., donations to the clinic help support important programs, such as cancer screenings, childhood dental health projects, childhood immunizations, diabetes treatment and prenatal care. The organization's Eula Hall Scholarship Fund provides financial assistance for area students pursuing careers in health care or social services, and the Eula Hall Patient Assistance Fund covers health care costs for uninsured or indigent patients.
Phone: 606-587-2200 or 606-886-8546

Other Organizations Helping Families in the Region:

Appalachian Regional Healthcare Foundation: The Appalachian Regional Healthcare Foundation (ARH) offers technology and healthcare serivces, working to address the growing healthcare needs in communities that traditionally rank lower than average in major health statistics.
Phone: 606-487-7566

Appalachian Region Missions: The Appalachian Region Missions works with volunteers to provide services to low-income families in eight counties of eastern Kentucky. Its mission is "to assist the neediest of the needy," distributing food, clothing, school supplies and everyday items.
Phone: 901-794-1971

Appalachia Service Project: Appalachia Service Project (ASP) works to address the housing needs of central Appalachia. According to its Web site, each year 15,000 volunteers repair homes for 400-500 low-income families in the region's rural areas. ASP encourages volunteers to travel to Appalachia to help with home repairs.
Phone: 423-854-8800

Cowen Creek Community Center & Music School: The mission of Cowan Community Action Group, Inc. is to provide educational, social, cultural and recreational experiences for the entire community in order to strengthen and sustain a wholesome and healthy lifestyle that encourages intergenerational relationships.
Phone: 606-633-3187

Computers for Kids: Computers 4 Kids (C4K) is an innovative project that brings together public and private partners to help disadvantaged children and their families join the Information Age. This is accomplished by placing computers in the hands of disadvantaged populations so that they have access to abundant technological resources and can perform basic computing functions.
Phone: 434-817-1121

jaxTheMom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Thanks, I'll watch it as soon as I can find where my daughter hid my headphones.

My brother married a girl from the Appalachians, in WV.  Way up there.  She was a sweet enough girl but barely literate and described growing up with no power, no food, that kind of thing.  It's hard to imagine such poverty here in the US but it's definitely there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)