Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really necessary?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM
  • 14 Replies

This isn't meant to sound mean. I'm honestly curious.

But why is it when someone says they feel sad, upset, or overwhelmed automatically people are like OH DEPRESSION MEDS WORK GREAT? I don't know. Does anyone else notice this?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidenleesmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Apparently, I'm the only one who notices this? :)

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM

The people who say that are probably on meds themselves.  

Kairi snowgirl

virgosuperstar
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM

sadly yes...i am against medicating UNLESS its really needed...you know antibiotics and bipolar-cancer-schizophrenia-etc you catch my point.. LOL!!...but for depression I was told the VERY BEST thing by a physchologist is EXERCISE...it releases the endorphins in the brain to you make you happy...just 30 minutes a day...a walk around the block anytype of constant physical activity for 30 min. every day will get rid of the blues...also meditating i know works...i am against medicating for depression b/c there are better things to help and defeat it...medicating is actually known now more to suppress it...so thats my opinion on it...

MissViki
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Yes I have.  I know sometimes they do work well, but I don't believe they are always the answer. 

aidenleesmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Exactly! I mean I'm no exerciser, but I have been feeling a little sad lately so I get up and go! It helps! I think it's just such a quick fix that people are like okay you need medication!

Quoting virgosuperstar:

sadly yes...i am against medicating UNLESS its really needed...you know antibiotics and bipolar-cancer-schizophrenia-etc you catch my point.. LOL!!...but for depression I was told the VERY BEST thing by a physchologist is EXERCISE...it releases the endorphins in the brain to you make you happy...just 30 minutes a day...a walk around the block anytype of constant physical activity for 30 min. every day will get rid of the blues...also meditating i know works...i am against medicating for depression b/c there are better things to help and defeat it...medicating is actually known now more to suppress it...so thats my opinion on it...

ARRI23
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM

u are on the money with that i been walking a half hour each day and its really bringing my spirits up

Quoting virgosuperstar:

D.swire
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:43 PM

everything now days have some sort of medicine that people run too, everyone is looking for the miracle pill, can't sleep take a pill, feel sad take take a pill, sick take a pill, men can't get it up take a pill, runny nose take a pill, stomachache, headache, backache, stress........take a pill

ariesp19
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM

yes, people are over medicated now a days... sucks...

aidenleesmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM

It's just insane to me.

Actually, my little cousin is 3 1/2. She is in preschool. Her teacher wanted to have her tested and put on ADHD medication because she couldn't sit still for an hour for story time! REALLY? She's three years old! She's not supposed to sit still for an hour; she's three! Drives me crazy!

geminishadow79
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Agreed that exersize does help alot for things like the blues. Then there are those who have severe depression and exersize just isn't enough.  Them medication may be the only step.  Exersize doesn't help me at all but I don't like to be doped up on pills either so i just deal with it.  Thats just me however. I agree that people are WAY over medicated these days.

Quoting virgosuperstar:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)