• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please write your congress...do something.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

This is a Bulletin Post from a friend of mine. Not the first that I have heard of this, but no less shameful. We can yell praises all we want...and send gooshy lovey dovey e-mails all about how much we support our troops. But when are we going to start fighting for their rights *their treatment as United States Army Soldiers.*when they enter the army.When are we going to demand the honorable treatment they deserve..instead of being treated like vagabons of war.  Listen up.......

Ok here is my update : We are finally at Fort Irwin. When we got here they told us they have no place for us to live. Yes, thats right. We are in the Army and are stationed at an Army Post and they have no place for us to live until March 23. They told us they didn't have any temporary housing available either and the post hotel is booked.
So, essentially the Army rendered us homeless. A military family...homeless.
So after I argued a bit, they finally gave us a room at temporary lodging. It is a one man room with no TV, no internet and no telephone. There are six of us in the room. Six people in a one man room. Its pretty pathetic when the military can't house its own Soldiers and their families. I wish I was making this story up, but sadly...I'm not.

If this pisses you off or upsets you that Soldiers and their
families are treated this way in our country please do something about it. I will be posting phone numbers for the local
Congressman and the post commanding general plus phone numbers for the housing office here and the local newspapers. PLease Please Please call. As soon as I have all the numbers and have access to the computer I will post them. This is not an isolated incedent. This happens to every single family who comes to this post.
The nearest city is an hour drive from here. Off post there is
literally nothing. It is undeveloped desert for nearly 50 miles. No gas stations, no grocery store...nothing at all. Just desert. When families come here they are told that they will either have to live in a hotel for 2 months...not paid for by the army, live with
relatives or live off post an hour away. If you have school age children you are expected to enroll them in school elsewhere for 2 months and then pull them out of school and enroll them on post when you move. And when you are shocked and appalled, they tell you that you shouldn't feel entitled to things.
This is the most appalling deplorable situation I have faced as of yet in the Army.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lvebug
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Just wondering........not sayin I don't believe it, but just wondering. Do they not get BAH??

Ethansmom85
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:40 PM

yeah I dont believe this sorry. I was military for a good chunk of my life...you either get on base housing OR they pay you BAH to live off base...they dont just say fuck you youre on your own....

...this is some BS story sorry.

lovemymarine306
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:43 PM

i believe it.  we were almost in that same situation once.  i was on a waiting list for housing for months before we moved here and when we got here they said it would be months before a house was available....and even with BAH we coulndn't afford to live off-base (san diego).  luckily i went back to the housing office the next day and a different woman pulled me aside and got me a house the same day.  the military really sucks sometimes...and now they're cutting benefits!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

BettyPP
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I know that post, that is where my brother and his wife where stationed. I myself am in a similar situation but not as bad. My hubs returns from his deployment soon and we wont be able to get a house for another 8-12 weeks, so we will be living in a temporary apartment. It really sucks and I agree is shouldn't be this way but it is, and most military people know to put there names on the list as soon as they can, but that still doesn't mean you wont have a wait. It doesn't help that these places are run by civilians and they could give two shits about soldiers most of the time...

meagrandma
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM

WEll...I see there is little understanding or even tollerance by some of you 'military'  for anyone who feels the Army is doing these people 
*as well as all the other thousands upon thousands -evidently*  a disservice. 
For those that have said this type of thing happen to them, some would just say  "well you should have known better".
For those of you who it's happening to now, some might say "What did you expect? or "Tough Luck" or maybe even "you figure it out".
Doesn't matter if there is No Way to make it figure.
For those of you who are just thinking of joining  ...
First)..Don't think you do not need money,YOU DO. So if you don't have mommy and daddy to lean on-and you don't have any money aside..,DO NOT join the army.
I don't care How much money they promise to pay you for joining.
You wont see it, when you need it.
Second)..Find out every little detail about every possible place you can be stationed at in the states. Then sign in and write in and fill in any and all forms and whatever you have to, for the best possibility of getting a roof over your head -if our dear army sends you there.
Third)There will be those (know all the ropes)for company. They will either befriend you/ignore you/shun you/or target you.
I don't know what to say....life is full of these.The army I fear,is no different.

smcclure2005
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 5:58 AM

I will say this , I support my military just not the government they work for. I think that it is bullshit that the military would treat their people like that. Now, I would not let my kids join the military due to the fact that they treat them like shit.  I hope that things get better for you and your family.

EtiesMommy
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 6:15 AM

As an Army wife I find a few of the things a little hard to believe. The military DOES pay for temporary lodging, sometimes up front sometimes a reimbursement. As soon as you sign in to the base you begin recieving BAH for your area if there is no on post housing available. Also most of the Army bases are privatized housing which means the government and the military do not control the availablity of the houses. If you PCS you recieve a travel advance to pay for the travel there and a per diem for food,which continues as long as you are in need of it in increments of I believe 20 days, based on the command and the area you are in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)