Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20/20 Have you ever seen these places?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

I missed the show, but I can imagine exactly how these kids are living. Actually, I dont have to imagine. I can get into my car and drive 20 minutes up a holler, to where clouds surround your feet, and there are houses with no windows, no running water, no electricity. People literally grow their own food. I doubt the children are being educated in any way. It's so sad. It's like they are almost forgotten. In most cases, they just stay there, as they are unaware of any other life.  A lot of the parents just want to be left alone. Sometimes it is because that is the way they were raised, other times it may be because of drugs, or any other number of circumstances. Unfortunately it happens to too many children here.

It truly breaks my heart.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Rossman
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM

i saw it...i almost cried. i am originally from kentucky, not that part further north, but still. i have seen poverty like that and it breaks my heart as well. i use to think that my family that lives in kentucky was from the middle of nowhere but that was truely no mans land. i hope that the economy can get situated so their situation can be somewhat better for them.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM

I've driven through places like this.  There's a small "village", for lack of a better word, out alt route 40 in Maryland, right before you get to Boonsboro.  And I went to college in West Virginia, there's lots of places out there like that.  Oh, and driving to Kentucky.  It's horrible!  Like I said in several other posts, it's hard to imagine that there are really people living like that in the United States, but unfortunately there are!

brandonlauren
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Maybe driving through that part of kentucky is horrible but kentucky in a whole is really a beautiful state, mountains everywhere but yes, its sad to know so many poor families are doing without in a country where you would think everyone shouldnt be doing without..

Quoting mamaoftwins9197:

I've driven through places like this.  There's a small "village", for lack of a better word, out alt route 40 in Maryland, right before you get to Boonsboro.  And I went to college in West Virginia, there's lots of places out there like that.  Oh, and driving to Kentucky.  It's horrible!  Like I said in several other posts, it's hard to imagine that there are really people living like that in the United States, but unfortunately there are!

mamaoftwins9197
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Oh no, I didn't mean it like all of Kentucky was like that...LOL.  That's just where I saw those kinds of places...like I said Maryland, West Virginia, and Kentucky.  Of course, I haven't been many other places either.

Quoting brandonlauren:

Maybe driving through that part of kentucky is horrible but kentucky in a whole is really a beautiful state, mountains everywhere but yes, its sad to know so many poor families are doing without in a country where you would think everyone shouldnt be doing without..

Quoting mamaoftwins9197:

brandonlauren
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Oh, lol, im sorry, I just didnt want people to think all of ky, but I figured you just meant that part of ky.. I live in a very small town in Ky but thank God its not like what was on 20/20..  I feel so sorry for those people..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)