Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so sick...I need some advice please

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anybody knew of a cough syrup or something that I can use while being pregnant?

I went to the ER on Wednesday night and found out that I have strep throat and a sinus infection. They gave me a shot of penicillan but it's not really working yet.

I've developed this horrible cough now that won't go away. It hurts down in my chest when I cough now. I would just call my OBGYN but it's late and he's not their and I don't want to call the emergency number for his office because it's not an emergency.

Anything you ladies know of that I can take while being 18 weeks along? Thanks!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PilotWifey
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I dont know about cough med. but I know about an immune booster that will help kick it out of ya. My sister in law just had my neice last week and she used this a couple times through out her pregnancy. Ill message you.

texas1981
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

You can still call your hospital to ask, I know its not a emergency but they will still talk to you. I wish I could help but Im not sure what you can take. Sorry

TygerLily62
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:51 PM

You can use Robitussin DM for the cough, and Tylenol for the pain.

Mama2twins05
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:52 PM

not sure....but you could also call a pharmacy and ask.

KellyChristal

I was prescribed tussin-D with codiene when i was preggo...it is completely safe, and it helped me sleep without coughing!

I am a 30 year old motherless mother, who has a 3 year old princess and a two year old devil, who has been touched by suicide and breast cancer, who got married at 19 and is still married to the same man 11 years later, who is a Certified Texas Teacher but stays at home now, who has Anklosing Spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease, who is a non-church going Christian, that knows it is important to live in the now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Oh, and for some reason I collect giraffes!

MissViki

I would go to like an immediate treatment center, or urgent care.  It COULD be bronchitis.  I blew off a horrible cough with my second one, chalked it up to allergies and sinuses, nope it developed to bronchitis.  I had to get on steriods and breathing treatments.  Not fun. 

reelo
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Tylenol is safe for pain and, I believe, robitussen cough syrups were ok but call your OB's office or the pharmacy where you usually shop (if they are opne)-- they are really pretty good about medication questions.

EthansMommy312
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Oh wow. They did a chest x-ray at the ER on Wednesday (yeah even though I'm pregnant -- lots of belly shields) and they said it came back okay but I didn't have this horrible cough then. It's making my throat hurt even worse than it did.

Quoting MissViki:

I would go to like an immediate treatment center, or urgent care.  It COULD be bronchitis.  I blew off a horrible cough with my second one, chalked it up to allergies and sinuses, nope it developed to bronchitis.  I had to get on steriods and breathing treatments.  Not fun. 

Mindy9807
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:04 AM

what trimester are you in? I'm looking at the sheet of medicines its safe to take my ob just gave it to me. for a cough you can take Robitussin cough syrup PE formula only, cough drops of any kind and vicks vaposteam. for colds you can take vics vaporub, regular benadryl 25mg. Hope this helps some.

pregnant
expecting Pictures, Images and Photosexpecting blinkie Pictures, Images and Photosexpecting Pictures, Images and PhotosExpecting after Loss Pictures, Images and Photos
EthansMommy312
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Thanks so much. I'm in my 2nd trimester right now. I never got sick like this when I was pregnant with my son so this all new to me. I had a paper from my OBGYN that said all that too but it got lost in my move to the new apartment.

Quoting Mindy9807:

what trimester are you in? I'm looking at the sheet of medicines its safe to take my ob just gave it to me. for a cough you can take Robitussin cough syrup PE formula only, cough drops of any kind and vicks vaposteam. for colds you can take vics vaporub, regular benadryl 25mg. Hope this helps some.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)