Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So, heres the short version. My MIL is CONSTANTLY telling us how to raise our son, Peyton. 'what do you mean hes only eating this much cereal...and more formula?' (3-4 8oz bottles...and some cereal inbetween)''you let him go to sleep at 10?? isnt that too late' (mind you hes 4 months old... goes to sleep at 10..and sleeps ALL night.. HE made this schedule..not us).

Then..her son (my bf)... his birthday is saturday, all he wanted was for some of his FRIENDS to get together... and since we are moving next week to alabama (900 miles away).. i thought it would be nice..so i organized all of it for him, and he still doesnt know (i dont think..haha)... anyways.. his mom told(yelled to me) me "well..im his MOTHER.. i deserve to be there!!! i WILL be there!!! It will be the last time ill be able to see 'the kids' for a while since you guys dont have any sense and are moving so far away" (mind you... his mother drives us both NUTS!! she has a drinking problem...)

So apparently she will be here to crash the BBQ(she treats her son like a 5 year old). And trying to tell her 'he just wants his FRIENDS there' didnt do anything! UGH!!!! Am i so horrible for trying to give him what he wants for his bday?? Am i wrong for being upset that she wants to tell us CONSTANTLy how to raise our son???

-sorry, i had to vent. Does anyone else have this problem??? any solutions??

~*Peyton's Mommy*~

by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 11:32 AM
Replies (11-17):
PostalDivaWy
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 11:45 AM
Sound like she is a royal pain.    I feel for you.    Maybe you could move the party and not tell her  lol
tinar1121
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 11:47 AM
You're not horrible at all, however you shouldn't have to be the bad guy either. I would tell your BF, that you tried, but you can't get through to her. He will eventually have to have it out with her, just the two of them. Let's face it, no matter what you say you will be the bad guy because she will say it's all you. If he says it then she will at least have to hear it out.

Good Luck! Look on the bright side you will be far far away soon.

Tina

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

de_lite5
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 11:50 AM
I'd explain the problem to the guest and perhaps together you all can move the party. Tell the MIL it has been cancelled at your place but why doesn't she come over later on that day or the next day?
crystallynee
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Every since I had my daughter I haven't been able to see eye to eye with my MIL either. She is always asking me questions to make me seem stupid when it comes to my daughter. When I say no Kylie is doing this now. She stops and say OK in a rude obnoxious way. That is why I'm glad I live 5 hours from her. I would let your bf know that you are sorry that his mother is here and that you tried to tell her but she wouldn't listen. As for her trying to tell her how to raise your son. Like for instance, 10pm is to late for bed time....say well maybe in your house but not in mine. This is what time he goes to bed.

ILive4This
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 11:58 AM
You're not horrible at all, you just can't let her walk on you. Smile when she give you baby advice, and then just do what you want. As for the party, let her come..she will obviously be the "odd man" out. Hopefully, she has enough sense to notice she doesn't belong. For the record, I never had MIL problems, it's my own mother that does this stuff.
CoastieWifePR
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Quoting Incursion:

Seriously.. get a bouncer. Or four. Post them at all the entrances to your property. There you go. She's not on the list, she can't go in. She tries, she gets bounced. Everyone's happy. Well, maybe not her, but she's a jerk, so who cares?

For enlightenment, go here, and read a little: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/archive.php?user_id=522159

Do I make you feel uneasy?
Do I break your stupid rule?
Cause I do not fit your idea
Of a beautiful girl?

Hahahaha i love this response... 
But seriously, do the BBQ somewhere she wouldnt know, like in one of his or your friends house...
And just to have consideration to her, buy a cake and over dinner at her place sing happy birthday to him...  And if she still doesnt want that, her loss, not yours...

rag_dollmom
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 12:13 PM

you already have a solution; MOVE THE HELL AWAY!!!!

:D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)