Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter drank bad juice just now..

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so last night we went to Denny's to eat. My 2 year old got apple juice to drink there and i put it in her zippy. She barely drank anything so I brought it home and put the zippy in the fridge. She went and got it this morning. I did not think anything about it as it was in the fridge and had only bin ut of the fridge at Denny's for 45 min(my family eat fast out to make sure no tantrums are being thrown lol). She came and asked me for more just a min ago and as I opened the zippy it was clear it had bin bad juice. I called poison control because we all know bad juice makes alcohol. The lady there just laughed at me and said not to worry and she should only get a upset stomach. I am worried thou still, about the alcohol in it. So I am trying to get ahold of her doc and he is gonna call me back as soon as he can the nurse said. So in the mean while anyone had any problems with their child drinking bad juice? She seems fine running all over, but I am making her stay in the living room so I can keep a eye on her at all times..

by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mailaknee
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I wouln't worry too much since it takes a very long time for juice to turn into alcohol. Keeping an eye on her is not a bad idea though. I would also have her drinks a little more water for a while just in case. It couldn't hurt.

Deb79
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Don't worry I did that once I gave apple juice to one of my daycare kids and didn't notice until after she drank it that the bottle had mold in it. She was fine and I threw out the rest, she give your daughter water and she should be ok just watch her. 

geminishadow79
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it takes more than a day to convert sugars to alcohol.  If it had turned to alcohol however its not going to be very strong.  The worst that would happen is she'd get tired in a few hours and sleep it off.  I know shes just a small child but I would think it would take more than one sippy of bad juice to cause alcohol poisioing.   Its good that your calling her dr though, always better safe than sorry, but honestly I think shes probly pretty safe

soccerchik8287
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I am sure she will be fine. My hubby once gave my daughter a sippy cup of apple juice that had been in the car for about a week (I had told him there was a sippy in the diaper bag but of course instead he picked up the one off the car floor) and she was fine. She may throw up or get diarrhea from it, but it shouldn't have any lasting effects on her

Terasasmom
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:14 PM

My dd had hid a sippy cup in one of my dh's boots, and it had had apple juice in it.  I couldnt find it anywher, a couple days later I see her with the sippy cup drinking some of it.  She didnt get a lot before I noticed, but she was fine.  I felt awful about it though. 

MomRocs1102
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Omg I kno this is old, but how did the Childs parents react?

Quoting Deb79:

Don't worry I did that once I gave apple juice to one of my daycare kids and didn't notice until after she drank it that the bottle had mold in it. She was fine and I threw out the rest, she give your daughter water and she should be ok just watch her. 

Deb79
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
They weren't mad. But they didn't like me.Or trust me anymore. Within a month or so they were pulled out of my care. The oldest didn't like me and told his parents I pinched him, which got Cps called out on me. CPS figured he was lying and dropped the case. I quit doing daycare six months later.

Quoting MomRocs1102:

Omg I kno this is old, but how did the Childs parents react?



Quoting Deb79:

Don't worry I did that once I gave apple juice to one of my daycare kids and didn't notice until after she drank it that the bottle had mold in it. She was fine and I threw out the rest, she give your daughter water and she should be ok just watch her. 

3lilmonsters88
by ★amber★ on May. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Its takes awhile for apple juice to turn into alcohol. Just have her drink some water. There's no need to rush to the doctor. She will be fine.
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Bad juice doesn't make alcohol. There's a process called fermentation. Cool dark place. Not cold refrigerator exposed to light.
It also takes weeks to months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laura_simss
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I am laughing at you too....how can yu really be that ignorant?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)