Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ways to save money... lets share

Posted by   + Show Post

So it seems that many of us are facing hard finacial times these days. I'm sure this economy is killing us all in the pocket books. So I suggest that today we can share some tips on saving money. We all have our little tricks and I think we should share them with each other. Whether its how to save on electicity, grocery shopping, clothes shopping, etc.. why not share.

I'll go first...... I have learned that unplugging applicances that arent in use does save money on the electric bill.

Buying clothes at the end of season is cheaper.

Coupons are a ladies best pal.

Any other tips

(This is posted in another group but I thought I would get more feedback on this one).

by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
mom12005
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Great ideas ladies.. Here is a stupid question about buying meat. If ones does buy a larger pack to split up and use later : What is the best way to store that in the freezer. Do you plastic wrap it, zip bsg it, foil it? I have always wondered how to make sure meat doesnt go bad it you do get abig pack.

MyHappyKids
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

ok ideas from one who says she is CHEAP while my mother suggests I should just say I am frugal-LOL LOL  Ok first thing turn water heater down to 120 degrees.This is the temp to keep water to be too hot for small children.You can go lower but my kids just turn it to all hot in the shower then not enough water for everyone to take a shower. We had 5 kids at home when they were growing up( 3 grown now) so had to make that tank last thru alot of showers-LOL Also,showers not bathes,bathes take more water.      Unplug everything you arent using or better yet use power strips so you can just turn off the strip to save power but easier to turn back on. Use the new florescent bulbs they have saved us a ton since we moved in May.We installed them in July after getting our first power bills and the savings was tremendous.They cost more up front but last longer and really cut your power bill.   Our power is electric and our heat is gas. We know that the utilities have had price increases and so we all have to think smart as it is hard to justify using more of our income on utilities-again I am cheap-LOL For our heat we leave the temp between 58 degrees and 60 degrees.We are lucky our house is comfortable at that temp.Of course we wear warm pjs or clothing in the house or throw a blanket on our laps etc.The kids wear sweats in the house and run around in  socks or slippers. We have done this forever as we have a child with asthma and a warm house(especially one with gas heat tends to give him more trouble with his asthma).If the temp outside makes the house colder than the temp set we will up the heat as needed but never above 64 and usually then just to get the chill out of the air then back down. In the summer,we live in the south,we use the same approach.When the seasons change we set the temp up higher to say 78 or 80 degrees.The first couple of weeks we have to move the temp up slowly so it is not from cool to hot,but we have always done this and 80 inside isnt so bad compared to the hot humid outside.No special clothes needed here we are comfortable at these temps.  We are cheap with clothing too.My kids have always handed down what could be used by the next child.I would save basics like jeans and sweats to play in as those rarely go out of style.since all the kids played sports all sorts clothing was passed down.I kept and keep clothes in large rubbermaid containers by boy or girl and size.When it is time for a new basketball season out comes the containers with sizes needed and everyone gets what they need.If we dont have the basic stuff on hand then we hit the thrift stores and the consignment shops.When needed we will shop at regular stores but I am one that looks for sale and clearance items and rarely buy anything at full price. Yes, sometimes I do buy stuff they really want name brands,instyle stuff but not too often.But a kid needs to be spoiled from time to time.Happily tho they are so used to the way we shop they enjoy the "challenge" of finding something inexpensively. I shop yard sales,as well and we love to play a game and go yard sale shopping and who ever can find the best deal for $5 or less gets an extra $5 the next time we go yard sale shopping.This was a really fun way when they were little to have a fun family day!    As for grocery shopping we have out tactics there too. One major one for us is to use ground trukey meat rather than hamburger as it is only 2.48 a lb compared to hamburger meat.We use ground turkey for anything that will have some spice to it,such as spaghetti,chilli,taco salad,etc.We use ground chuck for hamburgers etc. We also buy whole chickens and bake them,much less expensive than chicken breast and the kids love it. We use alot of rice(as it is high in nutrients) and beans as my kids love red beans and rice with polish kiebasa(I buy several when they are on ale and freeze them) we do the same with hotdogs.When thery are 1.50 a pack instead of 2.98(thats like 2 for the cost of 1) I buy 10 packs and freeze them.They usually last til they go on sale again.I use a crock pot regularly b/c we are often gone after school for sports practices and it is nice to have dinner ready when you arrive home-plus you can use more of the less expensive cuts of meat in the crock pot as it slow cooks and thus has plenty of time for the meat to be really tender. We buy canned veggies-drives my mom crazy,but so much less expensive than fresh.We also only eat out at places with dollar menus.Sometime we cant be home for dinner,two kids practices two places in the same evening so we hit a drive thru with a dollar menu. You can get dinner very cheap this way.In the past I have packed sandwiches or wraps along with fruit and drinks in a cooler for running around for games and practices.This saves a ton and is easy to just keep in the car and restock. We have basic cable(no movie channels).We dont go to the theater for movies(we started that when we had 5 kids at home) and wait to see a PayPerView movie that the whole family can watch for about $3. One thing I am looking into now is ways to save money with cleaning supplies--we love DOW for cleaning showers biut something just arent needed like disposable toilet cleaners comet and a toilet brush works great! I buy clorox clean up but I slit it into two bottle and add some water.Still just as effective but last longer. We used to clean with paper towels now we are back to the way I grew up using old t-shirts etc cut up as rags.I run one load a week on low with hot water to clean them all. I havent bought paper towels in along while-LOL I am looking for other cleaning supply ideas currently.  I shop for my kids school snacks in bulk or when on sale and stock up. We do splurge on fruit as they love it for school and it is good for them.  One of our projects in the new hous eis to close off areas like the fireplace with plexglass at the opening to keep air from getting in even with the damper closed.We have put towels as a buffer at the attic doors to crawl space.We also leave ceiling fans running 24/7 in the summer as it circulates the air and makes the rooms feel cooler w/o turing the a/c down.If you dont have ceiling fans invest in box fans for warm weather. As for driving I try to plan my trips and go in a logical route to get things done to save on wasted trips.However,I do have a local mom and pop grocery on the way home and often stop as they run weekly specials and I can drop in for that nights dinner if the kids want something specific and I dont have it on hand.They have a weekly special flyer that comes out every wed. last week 16 oz jas of peanut butter were a dollar.Bags of sugar were 99 cents(usually 3.28),etc.I check this each week and but what we can use and store(example last week was buy 1 get 1 free on american cheese 24 packs).Being a local mom and pop grocery they run specials to get people to shop there and if you shop wisely you can get deals. I suggest looking for a local store who needs local business they tend to work harder for their shoppers. As for gas costs I have a feature on my aol that list daily the lowest cost gasoline and how far it is from your location and the name of the store.Great because every penny helps. I alos suggest anything you arent passing down to sale at a yard sale,ebay or list on craigs list.Someone always needs childrens clothes,toys etc.

MyHappyKids
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM

As for the question about freezing meat etc. I def use thick freezer ziploc bags and I take out ALL the air.I also make sure I squish the meat flat in the bag as it will thow out faster this way.I often forget to take mine out early so I will put the ziploc in a bowl of cold water in the sink to thaw.

mom12005
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM

So many helpful ideas.. thanks.

Quoting MyHappyKids:

As for the question about freezing meat etc. I def use thick freezer ziploc bags and I take out ALL the air.I also make sure I squish the meat flat in the bag as it will thow out faster this way.I often forget to take mine out early so I will put the ziploc in a bowl of cold water in the sink to thaw.

eandamomma
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Bump

Quoting mom12005:

So it seems that many of us are facing hard finacial times these days. I'm sure this economy is killing us all in the pocket books. So I suggest that today we can share some tips on saving money. We all have our little tricks and I think we should share them with each other. Whether its how to save on electicity, grocery shopping, clothes shopping, etc.. why not share.

I'll go first...... I have learned that unplugging applicances that arent in use does save money on the electric bill.

Buying clothes at the end of season is cheaper.

Coupons are a ladies best pal.

Any other tips

(This is posted in another group but I thought I would get more feedback on this one).

Momof4Girls30
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I only buy kids clothes on sale so usually out of season. I also buy meat/food in bulk on sale with coupons. We don't have any credit cards. At the store I only buy what I need. I walk instead of drive when I can.

ashmac03
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Here are some of the things we do in our house:

• Keep the thermostat set to 66
  • Plan your meals for the week based on weekly ad and coupons
  • Get all of your errands done in one day for the week
  • Make coffee at home instead of going to the local coffee shop
  • turn off lights and TVs when your not in the room
  • When buying clothes always shops sales and especially the clearance rack. 
  • Use energy saving light bulbs

coutterhill
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM

We bought Eclipse curtains that black out the room, keeping it cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold so we don't have to turn the thermastat on and off. Our electric bill went from 170$ to 68$ in one month.

We buy ground turkey instead of ground beef, no cable, only one phone for long distance and we car pool to school together.

mom12005
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I have heard about this ground turkey thing before. I bet you could use in hamburger helper , spagetti, etc. I havent heard of Eclipse curtains before. I know here last month when it was in the single digits we put up blankets to keep the warmth in... I would just take them down if i knew company was coming.. We also buy the plastic for the windows in winter.

Quoting coutterhill:

We bought Eclipse curtains that black out the room, keeping it cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold so we don't have to turn the thermastat on and off. Our electric bill went from 170$ to 68$ in one month.

We buy ground turkey instead of ground beef, no cable, only one phone for long distance and we car pool to school together.

4kidsandadog
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I have a great money saving idea! I LOVE McDonald's Mocha Cafe, but really can't afford to spend $2.50 a day on it! Now I save money by making my own at home! I add one envelope of Swiss Miss Hot chocolate mix to one cup of coffee and top with low fat whipped cream for a recession treat! And I don't have to feel guilty because of the money I'm saving!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN