Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just got back from the er.....some cussing

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter has sever asthma we spend many nights in the er so i wasnt surprised when we had to go tonight.  WE got there and waited for almost foour hours before we got called to the back and then we got back there and they immediately started a treatment (which i was glad for cause she really couldnt breathe) and that helped a little bit.

THen the NURSE PRACTITIONER not the doctor comes and starts saying shes just having an attack (duh!) and we'll get some xrays cause she sounds wet (duh!) and at that same moment the nurse comes and puts my daughter who is only nine and has never had heart trouble ever on a GODDAMN HEART MONITOR!

WTF shes nine why the hell does she  need a heart monitor. I understand needing the o2 monitor its important to know how well her lungs are oxygenating her blood.  Yea i get it.  NOt only do they hook her up to the monitor they dont tell us why.  I think maybe they want a baseline before they tell me what they are looking for so i dont worry too much even though her heart is racing between 120 and 130 beats a minute (nearly double what it should be) but normal for an asthmatic having breathing treatments.  again i dont really worry yet

Then they give her yet another treatment and her heart starts blasting 140-150 and the machine is saying extreme tachy-tachy means too fast- and my nine year old can read it and hears the beeping and starts to get anxious.  NOw we have been in the back for about 2 hours and shes been on themonitor for most of that time.  My baby girl begs me to call her daddy and he tells her not worry its probably just to make sure there isnt anything else wrong.  OF course she believes him for the moment and then she hears nurses saying "if it goes higher we'll need the cart" and shes seen enough tv shows to know they mean crash cart.  Now she panics and starts crying and shes terrified. 

Still no  one has said why shes on the monitor.  I finally get her to sleep some and they come and check her again and start unhooking her and say shes fine now go home continue with her regular meds etc etc the same thing they always say.  I ask the nurse what the hell is going on now im pissed cause they have terrified my baby girl with no explanation and I want answers they proceed to tell me in very vague terms that new hopsital policy requires every patient complaining of breath or heart issues be hooked up to heart monitor. 

REally thats all why the hell couldnt they have just said that instead of scaring my girl that way.  Fucking morons!!!!

ANyway just a vent thanks

http://www.cafemom.com/group/83206/ Kiddie swaps tell i reffered you

www.cafemom.com/group/83950 mommyswaps Let em know I sent you!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/93522 Moms of Twirlers.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
candie241983
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:37 AM

It is policy now at most hospitals, but they should have explained it to you.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Easy Calorie Counting

SheilaAz
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:37 AM

I hope she's doing better!

mommy2trips
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Our ER also requires a heart moniter for all breathing and heart issues. However they should have told you that before they hooked your 9 year old daughter up to that and they shouldnt have said anything about a cart in the room with out explaining it to you I am sorry that you and your daughter had to worry like that.

MichaelsCasey
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I was in the hospital in December for my asthma and I was on a heart monitor while I was in the ER.  I never even thought to ask about it.  I would be PISSED if I had to wait four hours to get seen though

jojomommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM
sorry hope she feels better
stormcris
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Completely policy because of things that have happened and recommendations....but they should have explained.

elananme
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:45 AM

and the thing is shes in there at least once a month for treatments and they didnt do this last time.  She was so afraid there was something wrong with her heart and that she wouldnt be able to do the things sheloves anymore because of it.  I have a heart defect so she knows what limitations that puts on me and now they were checking her heart my girl was so scared.

SHe is feeling better now but i am still a bit pissed that they didnt explain about the monitor or the 4 hour wait.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/83206/ Kiddie swaps tell i reffered you

www.cafemom.com/group/83950 mommyswaps Let em know I sent you!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/93522 Moms of Twirlers.

RyansMommie07
by Jessica Lynne on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:54 AM

in our er, we have to put any patients who get a breathing treatment on a heart monitor because a side effect of albuterol is tachycardia, or fast heart rate. also, with asthma or other breathing issues naturally people get worried, which in turn causes an elevated heart rate. that combined with the albuterol needs to be monitored. they should have explained about the monitors though, most are set up for adult patients in the er... meaning anything over 100 beats a minute will alarm tachy. especiallty if it upset your daughter, knowing that the more upset she gets the more her heart will race. maybe write them a letter saying to them what you wrote here, let them know that your a little pissed about them not explaining things that were happening and whatnot it may  prevent someone else from going through a situation like you did tonite. i hope your lo is feeling better though... *hugs*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)