Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NO MAKEOVER FOR DORA!!!!!!!!! PIOG.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:03 AM
  • 21 Replies

Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Let's Go: No Makeover for Dora!"
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Dora_Makeover?e

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes less than a minute of your time.

Thanks!

Dora the Explorer gets a makeover?
Posted: March 06, 2009

By Clare Hill, National Post

The little girl loved by 6 million preschoolers worldwide and more than 21 million viewers in all, will be upgraded to a fashionable "tween" under Mattel and Nickelodeon's plans for a brand extension in the fall. 

The companies are launching an entire online world for their lively explorer that will allow girls to plug a Dora Links fashion doll into their computers and access a world in which they can customize Dora's look, from hair length to accessories. 

The official press release stated:

"This groundbreaking initiative, featuring fashion dolls and accessories, is a completely new brand extension that empowers girls to influence and change the lives of Dora and her new friends. It’s innovative, diverse, wholesome, bi-lingual and entertaining."

But some mothers aren't buying the wholesome aspect of Dora's new look, intended for girls five years and older, and are far from being entertained. 

Lexie Tigre of Seattle Eastside Parenting Examiners, who finds Dora's new look too close to that of a Bratz doll, wrote:

"Dora isn't about spunk anymore, she is about lip gloss and sexy skirts.  Don't kid yourself if you think otherwise."

Tigre has posted a petition against the prospect of a "tweenage" Dora who's interest now lies in fashion, as well as exploration. 

But she's not taking the issue as far as Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge who, according to MSNBC.com, proposed a Barbie Ban Bill on Tuesday that would see an end to sales of Mattel's barbie in West Virginia.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterbear
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:06 AM

I'll sign now. My daughter loves Dora she is a cute little kid and we don't need anymore sexy in the doll business for little girls. 

shecallsmemom04
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:07 AM

oh please...GIVE dora the makeover...LOL.

and online petitions don't generally work anyway......

mamadrama07
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM

I'm a little confused. Will this change affect how Dora looks on the cartoon show, or is it just an online thing? Maybe I read it wrong. 

CharmaineL
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Quoting mamadrama07:

I'm a little confused. Will this change affect how Dora looks on the cartoon show, or is it just an online thing? Maybe I read it wrong. 

We love Dora the Explorer and are super excited for this unveiling.  For those who adore Dora as we all know her, it appears that 'Tweenage' Dora will not replace her.

alananicole
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM

If it's just an online game or whatever, that's fine but I am totally against them replacing her on her TV show. As annoying as the show is, lol, my 5 year old loves Dora and I like how Dora is a little tom boy who is interested in learning and exploring and getting out and having fun. We really don't need another little prissy teenager on a kids show! Seriously, all the girls on the Disney shows are rich snobs and all they care about is getting the guy and looking good. That's not how I want my daughter to think. Just look at London on The Suite Life. She's a rich little snob who bosses everyone around and can do ANYTHING she wants because she has money and she is constantly putting everyone down. Great thing to teach little girls!

WhiskerLickins
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM

You are SOO right!  I was watching the Disney channel the other day and it's just sickening.  There were commercials playing for Witches of Waverly Place and all the girl was talking about was how to dress to look cool and blahblahblah.  I was like, "Seriously??"...  London is so annoying, and they ALWAYS have to bring up the fact that Maddie is "poor", wth.  Idk, I don't remember shows focusing so much on style, money, and boyfriends/girlfriends when I was a kid..  Just sayin'.

Quoting alananicole:

If it's just an online game or whatever, that's fine but I am totally against them replacing her on her TV show. As annoying as the show is, lol, my 5 year old loves Dora and I like how Dora is a little tom boy who is interested in learning and exploring and getting out and having fun. We really don't need another little prissy teenager on a kids show! Seriously, all the girls on the Disney shows are rich snobs and all they care about is getting the guy and looking good. That's not how I want my daughter to think. Just look at London on The Suite Life. She's a rich little snob who bosses everyone around and can do ANYTHING she wants because she has money and she is constantly putting everyone down. Great thing to teach little girls!

alananicole
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM

EXACTLY! London gets every guy and everything she wants because she's rich and Maddie is poor never has a boyfriend and gets teased on the show. And on top of it, London is the dumb one and Maddie is intelligent. So basically they are saying what's important in life is guys, clothes, and money and being smart means nothing because it will get you no where.

You are SOO right!  I was watching the Disney channel the other day and it's just sickening.  There were commercials playing for Witches of Waverly Place and all the girl was talking about was how to dress to look cool and blahblahblah.  I was like, "Seriously??"...  London is so annoying, and they ALWAYS have to bring up the fact that Maddie is "poor", wth.  Idk, I don't remember shows focusing so much on style, money, and boyfriends/girlfriends when I was a kid..  Just sayin'.

Quoting alananicole:

joshlor2
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I watched the news report for this and i saw we give her a chance...the reported said they will be aiming the doll and the show for older kids like 5-8 and that dora will take bigger adventures around the world instead of around her neck of the woods and oslve problems just like she does now. the reported also said the new doll wasn't "slutty' looking and she was a good compromise or substitution for all the moms up in arms about letting their girls play with the slutty brats or barbies....how can you guys be against something that you have never seen. I am willing to wait it out and see what she looks like

WhiskerLickins
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM

For sure!!  How does this crap even make it on the air?  What happened to shows like Full House, that's what I grew up on LOL!

Quoting alananicole:

EXACTLY! London gets every guy and everything she wants because she's rich and Maddie is poor never has a boyfriend and gets teased on the show. And on top of it, London is the dumb one and Maddie is intelligent. So basically they are saying what's important in life is guys, clothes, and money and being smart means nothing because it will get you no where.

Quoting alananicole:

JennasMommy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM

whoever thought of making a "sexy" dora needs to be checked out...thats disgusting... my 2 year old loves dora...its sad what the world is coming to, children being encouraged to grow up so quickly. I can only hope my daughter will look past all the media and be able to have a childhood like i had....getting dirty, playing outside, not worrying about what i wore all the time, just being a KID!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)