Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where do pickles fall on the 'healthy scale' ??

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

Cause i've been chowin down on those suckers! lol.

I feel like i've totally undone my whole diet today. 

I had a chicken wrap from KFC, doritos dipped in low fat sour cream, 2 popsicles, an apple, 2 pringles, and one jumbo pickle, so far lol,

I ate like 4 of them last night, and they are WHOLE pickles, i haven't craved them since I was pregnant!

It says only 5 calories, but what about all that sodium??

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:44 AM

Nobody knows? ok, i'm gonna go google 'salt overdose'  lol.

I thought maybe somebody else might be struggling with a diet too............

roxy85
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:54 AM

They fall on the really bad side. No nutritional value and loads of sodium.

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:55 AM

The sodium will cause you to retain the water weight and perhaps make you drink more sugary beverages to compensate.... I love pickles but I wait until farmers market has them rather than store bought ones.

proudgrammie07
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:09 AM

Found this out and personally I was really disappointed by it but I also buy german pickles and I dont think it has as much sodium in them but I'll have to check with it.

The beauty of pickles is in regard to weight control because they are very tasty and very low in calories. However, they do pack a sky-high sodium count. One large dill pickle, for example, contains a mere 16 calories and zero fat and cholesterol BUT unfortunately will also give you half of your day’s sodium allowance (a whopping 1,181 mg) in just a few bites. According to a recent report form the World Health Organization, there is strong evidence of a link between excessive sodium intake and the development of chronic disease (especially high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease, the leading cause of death in the U.S.). The report recommends that governments around the world institute guidelines to reduce sodium consumption to 2,000 mg per day, or about half of what the typical American consumes.

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:20 AM

oh great lol, i just ate another one too.............i read on a site that it is better if  you rinse it off, but the juice is the best part! lol, oh well. no more for me.  :-(

Quoting proudgrammie07:

Found this out and personally I was really disappointed by it but I also buy german pickles and I dont think it has as much sodium in them but I'll have to check with it.

The beauty of pickles is in regard to weight control because they are very tasty and very low in calories. However, they do pack a sky-high sodium count. One large dill pickle, for example, contains a mere 16 calories and zero fat and cholesterol BUT unfortunately will also give you half of your day’s sodium allowance (a whopping 1,181 mg) in just a few bites. According to a recent report form the World Health Organization, there is strong evidence of a link between excessive sodium intake and the development of chronic disease (especially high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease, the leading cause of death in the U.S.). The report recommends that governments around the world institute guidelines to reduce sodium consumption to 2,000 mg per day, or about half of what the typical American consumes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)