Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OBAMA SAYS DONT SUCCEED?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM
  • 129 Replies

I  am TRUELY puzzled by our new Pres.  I do NOT agree with his decision to raise taxes on incomes over 250,000!  My husband and I dont make near that, and it would be NICE to have that kind of money, but I dont believe people should be punsihed for working hard!!!!! I know alot of people think thats alot of money but if you live in NY, CA urban areas its really not bc of the cost of living!  And if you both work  its attainable. Its like hes saying dont try hard, dont follow your dreams, dont succeed?!  This is AMERICA land of opportunity, isnt it?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganRaesMom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:32 AM

See in our area, it's not a lot at all. So I sorta laugh when I hear that figure being tossed around and classified as "wealthy" because that's pocket change to a lot of people where we live! LOL

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

SxyPanamami83
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:37 AM

im sorry but if someone cant live off of 250K a year than something is wrong, i dont care what anyone says!

Delabe
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Did you ever think that maybe the standard of living that creates the scenario where that kind of money is "not a lot" is what is causing the problem? Like maybe the last 10 years of inflated spending, inflated house prices and inflated earnings have created the problem in the first place?  That kind of money used to be a GOOD living...now it isn't.  Hmmmm. Maybe stimulating the economy in such a way where people that made LESS than 250K could live a good life too would be the thing to do...maybe it would make prices go down, earnings go up and would stabilze the difference between poor and rich....

Because never in our entire history has the difference between what the top earners earn and the low earners earn been so huge...in other words, the average CEO of today might make 200-300 times more than what his middle management makes...while only 40-50 years ago, this figure was closer to 100 times more....

After a very VERY long time of the wealthy people in our country (like Bush's very rich family) getting massive tax breaks, and creating the inflated earnings and expecations in the market have led to the average person saying that 250K is not a lot....

For pity's sake!  There are people on this planet earning less than a dollar a day....

We need to control spending, and that means taxing more equitably...and I for one am very glad that they are taxing those over 250K----and I happen to be one of them.....as is Obama.

Dee

DS (Jan. 2005) and DD (June 2007)

"Living begins when you start doubting everything that came before you" Socrates

Mover
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

RettsMom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Obama says alot of things I disagree with.  I just have to pray for him and our country every day in order to keep my concerns at bay.

Summer04
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Ummm....we have friends that make pretty damn close to that and that is only considered middle class!

So when they get taxed even more that will bring them down and they will probably struggle to pay bills!

Yes I would give anything to make that much money but heck here 250,000 would be considered rich!

Here you can buy a decent home for 70,000 where my friends live a "decent" home is starting at around 130,000!

Quoting SxyPanamami83:

im sorry but if someone cant live off of 250K a year than something is wrong, i dont care what anyone says!

iluvlp
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM

clapping

Quoting Delabe:

Did you ever think that maybe the standard of living that creates the scenario where that kind of money is "not a lot" is what is causing the problem? Like maybe the last 10 years of inflated spending, inflated house prices and inflated earnings have created the problem in the first place?  That kind of money used to be a GOOD living...now it isn't.  Hmmmm. Maybe stimulating the economy in such a way where people that made LESS than 250K could live a good life too would be the thing to do...maybe it would make prices go down, earnings go up and would stabilze the difference between poor and rich....

Because never in our entire history has the difference between what the top earners earn and the low earners earn been so huge...in other words, the average CEO of today might make 200-300 times more than what his middle management makes...while only 40-50 years ago, this figure was closer to 100 times more....

After a very VERY long time of the wealthy people in our country (like Bush's very rich family) getting massive tax breaks, and creating the inflated earnings and expecations in the market have led to the average person saying that 250K is not a lot....

For pity's sake!  There are people on this planet earning less than a dollar a day....

We need to control spending, and that means taxing more equitably...and I for one am very glad that they are taxing those over 250K----and I happen to be one of them.....as is Obama.

Carla

loving my Gabriel (9/10/08)   baby boy

SxyPanamami83
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:00 AM

it dosnt mattered what its considered middle or upper. if you cant pay bills off that money than someone needs to look at thier spending.

Quoting Summer04:

Ummm....we have friends that make pretty damn close to that and that is only considered middle class!

So when they get taxed even more that will bring them down and they will probably struggle to pay bills!

Yes I would give anything to make that much money but heck here 250,000 would be considered rich!

Here you can buy a decent home for 70,000 where my friends live a "decent" home is starting at around 130,000!

Quoting SxyPanamami83:

LoveMyEmiRose
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Quoting Delabe:

I totally repect your oppinion and thank you for sharing!!!  But on some things I have to agree to disagree.

I dont think the answer to controling spending is taxing more equally.  Yes it hurts getting taxed it sucks for everybody!  But honestly if  "we" meaning my husband and I as a very low middle class were taxed "equally"  wed be in a world of hurt!  My father once said "20% of people pay 80% of the taxes".  I am happy that there are different tax brackets and it helps to even things out a little.  I just dont think adding more taxes to the so called "wealthy" is gonna solve anything.  And I definetly dont think that the new administration is doing  very well in general to control "spending".  Bush sucked at it too, but Obama has "turned a disaster into a catastropy" I heard that on the news today and thought it sumed up my frustrations. 

JaidenEvieEmmy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I think its sad and I think Obama is completely wrong (of course I didnt vote for him either) on this issue and many others.  To me 250,000 sounds like alot of money but what Obama isnt or anyone else taking into consideration is that is a number BEFORE taxes, BEFORE payroll taxes, BEFORE work comp ins. BEFORE paying employees and all the other expeses not even mentioned that goes for a small business owner- which makes up most the employment opportunities. 

So once you take out all the taxes and ins. 250,000 isnt crap.  I feel bad for all the small business owners out there.

Jaiden Elisabeth Mary, 7/20/02 (due 7/22) 6lbs.11oz.

Everleigh Rose Alexandra, 2/05/05 (due 2/14) 7lbs,1oz.

Emersen Isabella Mae, 1/22/07 (my due date) 8lbs,5oz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)