Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Classical music to unborn baby

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

Okay, so we all have heard that playing classical music to your unborn child may be beneficial. Has anyone ever done this? I wonder if it actually makes a difference. Well I played classical music to my ds when i was preggers with him, I played it every day to him after i was about 5 months along. I didn't do this with my dd, because I was sooo young and I didn't think about it and noone told me, i was only 16 at the time, so.... well ds is sooo smart, he is 2 and knows all the abc's by SIGHT, can point to any letter and tell you what it is and what sound it makes, he can read simple words (cat, hat, dog, boy, ball, all, call), he can count and recognize most simple numbers.  He knows all the basic colors and is learning new things every day. My dd did not progress this quickly. She is a very bright normal little girl. She can read write and is doing very well in school. But she did not learn at such a fast pace as ds. So I was just wondering if any other mommas had done this when they were preggers and if they noticed any sort of benefit. Thanks :) I hope all of you have a wonderful day!!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2cuddlebabies
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM

i did for awhile with my son (3yrs old) and he has always loved music. he can count to 20 knows his abc's. he has a great memory, he knows some movies by heart. will even say lines before they are said.

did not do it for my daughter she is 13months. hard to tell right now but she does say alot.

G.O - Celebrity Babies
 Everything Ohio - Playdate and MNO info
G. Admin -
Britney Spears Fans
Check out the 
Elvis Fan Group

StrBryBlonde
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:15 AM

lol that is cute... ds will do that too with some little fimilar songs on kids shows.

Quoting 2cuddlebabies:

i did for awhile with my son (3yrs old) and he has always loved music. he can count to 20 knows his abc's. he has a great memory, he knows some movies by heart. will even say lines before they are said.

did not do it for my daughter she is 13months. hard to tell right now but she does say alot.

2cuddlebabies
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM

when he first started doing it we were shocked. its a little scary. lol

Quoting StrBryBlonde:

lol that is cute... ds will do that too with some little fimilar songs on kids shows.

Quoting 2cuddlebabies:

G.O - Celebrity Babies
 Everything Ohio - Playdate and MNO info
G. Admin -
Britney Spears Fans
Check out the 
Elvis Fan Group

NewMom304
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:18 AM

It's impossible to know if there is a connection, but music is important, in my opinion.  I think it's an important part of brain development.  And it doesn't have to be classical.

StrBryBlonde
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

yeah, it is impossible huh? I just wish there was a way to tell . I just choose classical bc it is so pretty and soothing imo... anytime I would play some sort of other music with lyrics he would kick me and it hurt, lol... he still loves classical to this day :)

Quoting NewMom304:

It's impossible to know if there is a connection, but music is important, in my opinion.  I think it's an important part of brain development.  And it doesn't have to be classical.

savannahsmom01
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:30 AM

i did this when i was preggers.im not sure if it was just how she was or that the music helped but she was such a calm baby.i think when they hear music in the womb it stimulates their brains & connections to nerves & things .i think the sooner we can stimulate their brains the better off theyll be in the future.by no means am i a dr. but i think it does help. dont know if it had anything to do with it but she is so smart & is in the top 15% in the nation on her reading (sorry had to brag a little) btw my little one who is 7 now LOVES music of all kinds & remembers the words better than i can & LOVES to sing 2.

some kids just have their own pace at doing things & i wouldnt worry too much about your dd.

clapping

tippymorgan08
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I didn't do music but I used something called the BabyPlus system with our little guy and it serves the same purpose; to teach within the womb and stimulate the baby's mind. It basically plays a pattern of sounds for the baby. You use it twice a day and you begin during your 18th week. Towards the end of my pregnancy, it was amazing that Talan could almost mimic the patterns with his movements and kicks. He's only 7 months old but he can do quite a lot IMO. I can't attribute it all to the BabyPlus, but I do give it some credit. 

I am a Christian, natural birthing, delayed cord clamping, breastfeeding, holistic circumcising, extended rear facing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, baby wearing, selectively vaccinating, Obama supporting, full time working, happily married, Texas momma!
StrBryBlonde
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:43 AM

That is wonderful momma. Grats on your little Einstein. :)

I am not to worried about my dd, she is very bright and is learning very fast. I just wish now I would of done more to nurture her little mind. I mean I do, I read to her every day and get her to read to me and work with her on math, sentence structure, but I just wish I had of done more when i was preggers with her and when she was itty bitty... like I said I was so young with her, so I didnt have the best diet and was just a pregnant kid pretty much, so I wasnt thinking about things I could do for her while she was still developing, like reading to her and music and so on... I was more careful of what I did with ds... I feel so bad about that. She is not developmentally delayed or anything, she is actually one of the top students in her class and is reading at a 2nd grade lvl.. like I said very bright. But anyways. ty for sharing :) I also believe that stimulating a unborn baby's brain can be very beneficial, but I am not a doc either..

Quoting savannahsmom01:

i did this when i was preggers.im not sure if it was just how she was or that the music helped but she was such a calm baby.i think when they hear music in the womb it stimulates their brains & connections to nerves & things .i think the sooner we can stimulate their brains the better off theyll be in the future.by no means am i a dr. but i think it does help. dont know if it had anything to do with it but she is so smart & is in the top 15% in the nation on her reading (sorry had to brag a little) btw my little one who is 7 now LOVES music of all kinds & remembers the words better than i can & LOVES to sing 2.

some kids just have their own pace at doing things & i wouldnt worry too much about your dd.

clapping

diznemma
by on Apr. 6, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I think I wrote about this on another post but I've had several friends use BabyPlus too and my SIL is using it.  I think it sounds intriguing especially since the brain is so complex especially during development.  (I'm taking a course at a local college and can't get enough information!)  Makes complete sense to me!  Keep us posted!!!

Diznemmawink mini

Meissilly
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM

My oldest  learned everything early ,  physically and meantily   I never played music for her just talked to her nad prayed that she would be the most  beautiful and smartest . 

My middle child is bright but I think shes more average. Although she started talking at  3mos .  I tried playing  the classical music thing to her .. SHE  seemed to hate Mozart . Although  she  loved the  beastie boys  and Sinatra .  Today  if shes having a bad  or trouble sleeping   we listen to Sinatra and Ella  and   any  everything is fine .. She  still  seems to hate  Mozart

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)