Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

effective discipline

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have 5 step-kids, 5,6,7,9,10 year olds, 4 older girls, youngest boys. It seems as though anything we try, it doesn't work. They don't listen, they fight, they yell, hit, scream, don't clean up after themselves, argue, and the list could go on.

Time outs don't work, yelling doesn't, extra chores doesn't, early bedtimes don't, grounded from things doesn't, rewards don't, nothing.

Does anyone have any other idea's. We're starting in-home therapy soon, but until then, we need to do something or we're gonna be living out in the barn and letting the kids have the house, LOL.

Thanks.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
baly2001
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Do y'all have them all the time or just part time?  

here is a bump

4thLuvofChildrn
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Charts.. I use charts if they worked with 7 kids ( not mine)  ages 4 to 20 and they will work for you. And these kids were worse then yours lol....    Thing is you have to stick to it no matter what....    Make a chart with everyone's names on it ( children)  and things on it you are having trouble with, with them.  These will be the rules for the chart have to do good at school, bedrooms have to be clean without being told , cleaning up after their self without being told , no fighting and so on.  I use X's  and stamps.  the X's are Big and red and mean BAD. The stamps mean they did great for that day. ( I put a line under their space for multi x's. And a place to write reasons for them or to write good things on it like way to go..  Or good job on your room.  The goal is to do great for a bigger reward. Like going to the beach, river, lake or whatever your family likes to do. Those that did bad must stay home and not have access to videos games, tv and things like that either.  And when you and the good kids go out be sure to make a big deal when you get back. ( make it as fun as you can) so the others will want to go next time.

Email me if you have any questions.

Join me in the uncommon names group http://www.cafemom.com/group/uncommonnames

starleigh21
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Quoting baly2001:

Do y'all have them all the time or just part time?  

here is a bump

bio-mom has every other weekend, and that's not consistent, so we have them most of the time.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

ELEMENTARY MOMMIES

Tween Titans

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
< Cafe GroupAdmin

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
    Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)