Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ants

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM
  • 17 Replies

Now that it is starting to get warm here we are starting to see the ants. The only place we see them is right around the sink. I just hate ants. We have this problem every single year at this time. I worry about using most of anything on them with having a 18 month old. What can I use that will not be harmful to my kids?

DeLanie 8/19/07

Levi 3/28/03

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baly2001
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Have you heard of Chinese Chalk? I don't know if it is safe to be around kids. It looks just like chalk in a way. It helps with all kinds of bugs. 

armywife1111
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Quoting baly2001:

Have you heard of Chinese Chalk? I don't know if it is safe to be around kids. It looks just like chalk in a way. It helps with all kinds of bugs. 

No I haven't heard of it before. Where do you get it from?

baly2001
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Do you have any Chinese stores in you area. This is where I always get mine. 

culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I have outlined my sinks in the past with CHALK, any color and the ants will not pass over it, good luck and it is safe and it works.

Mom2Kenzi
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I looked up 'Chinese chalk' and found this:

Q: My daughter's first-grade classroom is plagued with ants that descend on food scraps as well as invade the hermit crab's habitat and many other nooks and crannies. The teacher showed me a product she thinks works well, a Chinese insecticide chalk stick that you deploy by drawing a line on the ground. I am a little worried about what might be in this stuff. The box labeling is all in Chinese. Do you think this chalk is safe for classroom use?

A: Do not use that chalk! All of these Chinese chalks, including Miraculous Chinese Chalk, the most common, contain pesticides that are no longer allowed in the United States. They have no EPA registration number and no directions for use in English. Children have been hospitalized when they put this chalk in their mouths. It is absolutely not safe.

thebestbrianne
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM

There are a lot of sprays that "say safe for kids and pets once dry", so I spray (window open!) and leave. Then when I come back I wipe down everything I sprayed. We have ant issues all the time with the cold because our house has a million cracks. I have been on pest control duty all winter and I hate it!

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

armywife1111
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Quoting Mom2Kenzi:

I looked up 'Chinese chalk' and found this:

Q: My daughter's first-grade classroom is plagued with ants that descend on food scraps as well as invade the hermit crab's habitat and many other nooks and crannies. The teacher showed me a product she thinks works well, a Chinese insecticide chalk stick that you deploy by drawing a line on the ground. I am a little worried about what might be in this stuff. The box labeling is all in Chinese. Do you think this chalk is safe for classroom use?

A: Do not use that chalk! All of these Chinese chalks, including Miraculous Chinese Chalk, the most common, contain pesticides that are no longer allowed in the United States. They have no EPA registration number and no directions for use in English. Children have been hospitalized when they put this chalk in their mouths. It is absolutely not safe.

Oh THANK YOU for posting that!

EsmeVincent
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM

the ants only want the water but you can try baby powder...my mil uses it around her sink and it works great

geminig3
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Good for you, not wanting to use any nasties around your baby!

Things that work..lavender oil (you can get it at health food stores or online).  Totally natural, just make a line of it where the ants are.  It also works for flies!

Cinnamon..works the same way.

Cornstarch..some people have had success with this, but I haven't personally.

Anything that interrupts the scent trail will work.

theartsychik
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Hello. I have had the same problem every spring... I use one of three things depending on where they are coming in. I use Borax if it is a place that my daughter will not be going near, and chili powder or plain old dish soap if there is a chance that she might get into it somehow. I use dishsoap in the windows, and borax under the fridge and sink. Chili powder gets a little pricy to use and it can stain but it is not poisonous.  They also get under our patio and come up from there into the house so I pour some dish soap down between the cement sections and power spray with the hose. Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times but then I am usually good for the rest of the year. Hope this helps...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)